Better new uni: Marlins v. Padres

BRM_PTX

I'd agree, if the Orioles could commit to a logo. Use the ornithologically correct bird, or the cartoon bird, but not both. Pick one.

Wishy-washy design costs them points, so the Mets squeak through!

I can't agree because I liked the black drop shadow of the Mets previous set and it is one of a very few things I can say great about anything from New York teams.

But you just said you liked the previous black drop shadow....

I fixed it...too early this morning.

spacer.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Diego's are less worse.

I agree. The road jersey is better than the one old. And the new cap is more than decent, I would buy it.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I do think both are better than what they had before. The Padres are more "traditional," but then again, the Marlins didn't really go for something as exotic as a lot of people seemed to be expecting. But, at the end of the day, there is no doubt the Marlins stand out more than the Padres do, and I think that's what counts.

The Mets look so much better without the black. They would win in any other offseason. The Blue Jays' new look, however, really hit my uniform sweet spot. They made me feel like a kid again. The Jays win it, for my at any rate.

The Marlins are a solid number three.

The Blue Jays made the best change; easy choice. It's about as perfect as it could have possibly gotten. Love the modified, updated classic look. The fact that they snuck in two shades of blue, like they used to have, is cool, even if they basically swapped out powder blue for navy. They will now be one of the few teams using two shades of blue (in fact, the Rays may be the only other one, now that I think about it), and the only one using navy and royal together.

For the Orioles, I agree that they might want to ditch the realistic bird completely and go back to a logo using "The Bird", as he's known, since they now have him on their caps (I'm definitely happy they brought him back, as I have fond memories of his image on their caps from kidhood). Pretty gutsy move for them to bring back the paneled hats as well; didn't really see that one coming. Wonder if the Jays would ever consider doing the same with their new scheme (they don't HAVE to, but it would be interesting if they did).

Really glad the Mets are dropping the black, and that it will be gone completely after 2012. I had really started to tire of it over the years.

Regarding the Marlins' new gear, I'm willing to give those unis a shot and see how they look on the field. Frankly, they're not as bad as I thought they might be; they're actually decent. The biggest problems I have with them are the odd looking number font and the fact that the home whites say "Miami" rather than "Marlins"; hope they change those things sometime in the near future. By the way, for the people saying that the Marlins' dumping of teal has eliminated teal from the league, what about the M's? It's easy to forget, because they call that color "Northwest Green" or whatever, but in practice, the color they use is a dark shade of teal (kind of a teal green, I suppose). Furthermore, I see no indication that the team wants to drop that color; if anything, they're trying to make it more prominent again, as evidenced by their bringing back of the alt jersey and cap brim.

I'll comment more about Astros and Padres in a separate thread that I'm planning on starting.

I'd rate them as follows:

1. Toronto: Their new look is the perfect balance of modern with their older 80's style. Nice to see the BLUE Jays back in primarily BLUE.

2. Padres: Nice upgrade over their outgoing look that incorporates more of the past into the uniform. Also a smart move not eliminating sand entirely.

3. Mets: I hate when teams that have no history with black added a black uni for the hell of it so that should have been gone. Otherwise not a huge change for the Mets other than a nice clean up and rearranging which uniform is which. Glad to see the black cap gone from the away uni.

4. Mariners: Adding back the accent brim was a nice touch.

5. Orioles: Not a fan of paneled caps or the cartoon bird. Downgrade on both counts.

6. Marlins: It's not 1984. Look like a walking Miami cliche. Which is unfortunate given they were a much better looking team last year.

Archived