Tulane proposes new on-campus stadium

BigMac12

I would like to see them copy old Tulane Stadium where Super Bowl IV, VI, and IX were played

Fire codes be damned.

In all seriousness though the original stadium prior to expansion was pretty nice. Best picture I could find of it.

earlydenny2_display_image.jpg?1276642549

It was just never intended to be expanded up to the size it wound up being.

I really like the way the stadium is designed. The video boards are in differnet places than normal stadiums, but it's a creative place to put them. I like it alot. I don't really like football dome's football is an outdoor sport, and hopefully always will be.

1000th post! Ya baby!!!!! (bow):boogie:(dance)

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

What? You beat Mings to a topic about Tulane AND architecture?! ^_^

One word: Thesis.

As for the stadium, they can't build it where Tulane Stadium used to stand because dorms now stand on that site and well, Tulane has a shortage of on-campus housing. The site for this is by Turchin Field towards the north end of campus and essentially boots the club teams from their areas. Its nice because an on-campus stadium really works with college football and the fact that its shaping up to be completely funded by private donors. As for the architecture, it is what it is. Fits in with the new Wilson Complex that was recently completed (on the other end of the public plaza away from the baseball field if you look at the video).

Also, pmoehrin, you posted Alabama's stadium.

Also, pmoehrin, you posted Alabama's stadium.

Really, came up under a google search for Tulane, although taking a second look at it now I do see the University of Alabama listed on the postcard.

Any photo I could find of Tulane was the renovation version. So if that's not it then I don't know what it looks like.

LAfayette is a smaller stadium, but they have unique places similar to the Tulane proposal for where the scoreboards are.

Here is one picture:

Lafayette1_resize.jpg

fisher-stadium.jpg

Also, the Ryan Center (URI Basketball) as a similar setup:

1734.jpg

As an aside, that's one of my favorite basketball courts.

IUe6Hvh.png

Raysox, the dome is nowhere near run down. They have pumped almost half a billion into it the past 5 years. Its pretty freaking awesome in there.

Side note, my graduation ceremony is in the Superdome.

Rhode Island must have a good basketball team, because there seems to be alot of people there.

URI has a pretty good following in the state of Rhode Island.

Its about 60/40 between Providence and URI in terms of fans. A few years ago it would have been far more in favor or Providence but the fact that the Friars have been pretty down recently has given URI a chance to win over the state.

As of now the Friars just have no business being in the Big East while URI is a very good A10 team. No recent tournament appearances, but they've gotten alot closer then Providence has in the last couple of years.

A campus stadium should help with recruiting and make them a C-USA power and eventually candidate to move up.

How so? Every hear of the University of Miami?

They even have had top five recruiting classes under Randy Shannon but failed to deliver on the field.

The lack of practice facilities hurt recruiting more than where a team plays its games. Pitt shares both practice and game facilities with the Steelers. Not so bad if I were a prospective high schooler.

EDIT: Both Kentucky and Louisville hoops play off -campus. Hasn't hurt them win either.

Would love to see Tulane get an on-campus stadium. I've always hated smaller college teams playing in stadiums far too big for themselves off-campus like Memphis, San Diego State, Temple, etc.

The urban campuses are essentially landlocked, the land is much more valuable than the rent they pay in the municipal or private facility.

A campus stadium should help with recruiting and make them a C-USA power and eventually candidate to move up.

How so? Every hear of the University of Miami?

They even have had top five recruiting classes under Randy Shannon but failed to deliver on the field.

The lack of practice facilities hurt recruiting more than where a team plays its games. Pitt shares both practice and game facilities with the Steelers. Not so bad if I were a prospective high schooler.

EDIT: Both Kentucky and Louisville hoops play off -campus. Hasn't hurt them win either.

Would love to see Tulane get an on-campus stadium. I've always hated smaller college teams playing in stadiums far too big for themselves off-campus like Memphis, San Diego State, Temple, etc.

The urban campuses are essentially landlocked, the land is much more valuable than the rent they pay in the municipal or private facility.

I am pretty sure Tulane dose not have MOD EDIT: Let's just refer to them as overzealous boosters and call it a day. around to pay their players the U does.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived