Tulane proposes new on-campus stadium

BigMac12

A campus stadium should help with recruiting and make them a C-USA power and eventually candidate to move up.

How so? Every hear of the University of Miami?

They even have had top five recruiting classes under Randy Shannon but failed to deliver on the field.

The lack of practice facilities hurt recruiting more than where a team plays its games. Pitt shares both practice and game facilities with the Steelers. Not so bad if I were a prospective high schooler.

EDIT: Both Kentucky and Louisville hoops play off -campus. Hasn't hurt them win either.

Would love to see Tulane get an on-campus stadium. I've always hated smaller college teams playing in stadiums far too big for themselves off-campus like Memphis, San Diego State, Temple, etc.

The urban campuses are essentially landlocked, the land is much more valuable than the rent they pay in the municipal or private facility.

I am pretty sure Tulane dose not have MOD EDIT: Let's just call them overzealous boosters and call it a day. around to pay their players the U does.

NJTank, you are right. Tulane never had what you mentioned.

They just had a point shaving scandal which caused them to drop basketball in 1985.

I thought that your website would have had that little bit of NCAA history.

Are we talking about football or basketball, because I seem to recall them being two different sports. Its easier to have a succesful hoops program all you need is a gym and ten good players. Football needs much much more, its why programs like Duke cant compete in football.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Are we talking about football or basketball, because I seem to recall them being two different sports. Its easier to have a succesful hoops program all you need is a gym and ten good players. Football needs much much more, its why programs like Duke cant compete in football.

If it can occur at an institution, it can occur period. You do not recall anything. MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discusing the topic at hand.

Woah, woah, woah. That last comment there was very uncalled for dfwabel.

This is supposed to be about what Tulane is planning, not your undying hatred towards Tank. OK?

Anyway, on topic here: It's a nice idea. It's good to see Tulane, who was actually thinking of shutting down athletics at one point (it had to of been sometime after Katrina hit and it caused major problems. I don't know for sure, but I would think someone like Mings would possibly know since he went to Tulane), come up with a plan for a new stadium. The Superdome is a great stadium and all, but I'm sure that Tulane can use this to make their program better.

This is supposed to be about what Tulane is planning, not your undying hatred towards Tank. OK?

Anyway, on topic here: It's a nice idea. It's good to see Tulane, who was actually thinking of shutting down athletics at one point (it had to of been sometime after Katrina hit and it caused major problems. I don't know for sure, but I would think someone like Mings would possibly know since he went to Tulane), come up with a plan for a new stadium. The Superdome is a great stadium and all, but I'm sure that Tulane can use this to make their program better.

I stand by my statement.

MOD EDIT: The subject at hand happens to be Tulane's new on-campus stadium.

In addition to the fact that where you play has no correlation to helping recruiting as he could not connect. I gave him Miami as a primary example and his only comeback is with MOD EDIT: The topic at hand is Tulane's new football stadium. Stick to it. Thank you.

Yeah, that was after Katrina and before the university came back even stronger than what it was before the storm. This stadium is actually the work of many hundreds, if not thousands, of alumni with a desire to see an on-campus stadium again. Now, if Shaun King and Matt Forte can be granted additional years of eligibility, there may be a chance at a good team.

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discussing Tulane's new football stadium.

As this board's resident Tulane fan*, I'm excited about this. For at least a day, Tulane football was relevant in the local media.

*I'm not a student there. It was too expensive to afford. Still a fan since childhood.

*But dammit, I still despise LSU. And to think we had a chance to get Tyrann Mathieu during the recruiting season. Bring back the Battle for the Tiger Rag!

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

LAfayette is a smaller stadium, but they have unique places similar to the Tulane proposal for where the scoreboards are.

Here is one picture:

Lafayette1_resize.jpg

fisher-stadium.jpg

That's a damn good looking stadium. :rolleyes:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You could say that for most private schools in BCS AQ conferences. The only exceptions I can think of are Southern Cal, Notre Dame and TCU. Stanford's recent run of success has been just that - a nice recent run of success. They are by no means a traditional football power.

Stanford has (at worse) the same prolonged history of success as TCU. National titles, bowl appearances, heismens, and all Americans are nearly identical between the two.

Not that your point is incorrect, just Stanford belongs in that list if TCU does.

Raysox, the dome is nowhere near run down. They have pumped almost half a billion into it the past 5 years. Its pretty freaking awesome in there.

Side note, my graduation ceremony is in the Superdome.

I can understand his point though, on TV, the superdome does look a bit old, but I think that's the turf more than anything. But As I live in Australia and the closest I've been to an NFL stadium is seeing Aloha Stadium from Pearl Harbour, (*sigh*) I can't really say what it's really like being there.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

It really is not a proposal. They are building it. The school has $40M of the $60M in stadium costs already and wants another $30M not to take out bonds. Many of the key donor opportunities have already been purchased.

Anyone else find it intriguing that universities can fund their own stadia/expansion/remodeling projects without seeking public money (over and above their regular revenues), but professional sports franchises (whose teams generate far more revenue per-game than their college counterparts) cannot?

nav-logo.png

It really is not a proposal. They are building it. The school has $40M of the $60M in stadium costs already and wants another $30M not to take out bonds. Many of the key donor opportunities have already been purchased.

Anyone else find it intriguing that universities can fund their own stadia/expansion/remodeling projects without seeking public money (over and above their regular revenues), but professional sports franchises (whose teams generate far more revenue per-game than their college counterparts) cannot?

My 2 guesses

1. College teams have boosters and donors on top on whatever they already earn, pro teams don't have this.

2. The stadiums are usually smaller and cost less to build, meaning the institution can fund it on it's own. (for example, this stadium is costing $60M, Cowboys Stadium cost $1.15 billion)

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Keep in mind that institutions, both public and private, have the ability to issue their own bonds for projects. Their credit ratings are generally higher than the private team owner and if needed, the institution can back the bonds for their auxiliary enterprise (athletics) if they want to.

Even the major revenue generating programs, like the University of Florida, float bonds for intercollegiate athletics through the university itself. In addition, the donations for specific projects and areas are part of the business.

OTOH, Georgia Tech's athletic department is also separate from the university, but it's relationship to the university assisted in the issuance at a A+ rating even with the athletic department's high debt burden.

My 2 guesses

1. College teams have boosters and donors on top on whatever they already earn, pro teams don't have this.

2. The stadiums are usually smaller and cost less to build, meaning the institution can fund it on it's own. (for example, this stadium is costing $60M, Cowboys Stadium cost $1.15 billion)

Also, while you are comparing revenue, you have to also look at expenditures:

Pro sports player team salaries as expenditures: $48.3 million (NHL salary cap), $58 million (NBA salary cap); $120 million (NFL salary cap).

College sports players team salaries as expenditures: $0. (okay, you can say the cost of the scholarships, but say a generous $50,000 X 50 football players is only $2,500,000).

It is what it is.

My 2 guesses

Pro sports player team salaries as expenditures: $48.3 million (NHL salary cap), $58 million (NBA salary cap); $120 million (NFL salary cap).

College sports players team salaries as expenditures: $0. (okay, you can say the cost of the scholarships, but say a generous $50,000 X 50 football players is only $2,500,000).

So spend less on salaries and build the damned stadium yourself! :D

nav-logo.png

My 2 guesses

So spend less on salaries and build the damned stadium yourself! :D

but then you have a fantastic stadium with no-one in it because the team in it is awful. :P

LAfayette is a smaller stadium, but they have unique places similar to the Tulane proposal for where the scoreboards are.

Here is one picture:

Lafayette1_resize.jpg

fisher-stadium.jpg

Also, the Ryan Center (URI Basketball) as a similar setup:

1734.jpg

Also the same for Emirates Stadium (home of Arsenal F.C.)

1000px-Emirates_Stadium_-_East_stand_Club_Level.jpg

Archived