The NFL: "My Way"

mbannon92

Alright, time to respond (AKA get this back on the first page).

First off, thanks for all the nice comments!

Second off, to DeFrank, don't worry about the Pats pants looking like my old Texans. The Texans got a complete overhaul in this redesign. And yes, I have all 32 teams done.happy.gif

Now, it seems that most of the complaints are on the Pats and 'Phins.

With a name like Patriots, you have to be red, white, and blue. No silver. Period. And on the sublimated stripes, I'm not worried about them showing up. They did on their 90s unis.

For the Dolphins, I know the unis are kind plain, but that's what I was going for. Yes, it's more of a collegiate look, but I think that could work in the NFL. However, now that finals are over (hell yeah), I'll work on a pants stripe. I've got an idea in mind. I probably won't change the sleeves though, since as drdougfresh said, there's really nothing to put there.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we have some slight updates.

I tried a few things for the Dolphins' sleeves and pants but they just didn't look right, so I made the teal pants the primary road uni and the all white the alt. This should help balance out the colors more. I also added the sunburst trim to the socks.

Also, I got rid of the white helmet on the Jets alt. The more I looked at it the less I liked it.

I'll put the next division up in the next few days.

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys: Home "Road" Alt

For the Cowboys, it was all about consistency. For the colors, I decided on the helmet silver and navy, and I used a simple double stripe on the sleeves. I also went to the old school numbers and put the more common "Cowboys" wordmark under the collar. For the alt I had to go with their Thanksgiving unis.

New York Giants: Home Road Alt

I also brought some much-needed consistency to the Giants uniforms. I ran with the Northwestern striping, putting it on the home jerseys and pants, and all stripes are red. I also switched the road numbers to blue to add some balance. The alt is a fauxback based off the Giants' 1933 uniforms.

Philadelphia Eagles: Home Road Alt

I had to compromise with the Eagles unis. I went with somewhat traditional striping and added more gray, but kept the midnight blue. The sleeve stripes are large like during the Jaworski era, and the eagle head now adorns the hip.

Washington Redskins: Home Road Alt Logos

These Redskins unis are pretty similar to the ones in my first go-around. It's a throwback to the tomahawk unis, with a deeper burgundy and a mustard-gold. It's two stripes all around, with the tomahawk separating the two colors on the sleeves. I also updated the logos, cleaning up the primary a little and replacing the Indian head with a "W". (And this has nothing to do with being politically correct. I just feel like the logo is outdated.) Then I took the feather from the primary and added it to the tomahawk, slightly altering it from the original logo. Lastly, I made a new, but similar, wordmark.

Cowboys- Fine, not much more to say. Don't love the striping styles, but whatever.

Eagles- Never liked your Eagles concepts from the previous thread, and not really digging these either. Emphasis on white over silver is my main gripe.

Giants- Like the home, not the away (more blue!). LOVE the alternate. Great idea.

Redskins- Ah well. The Redskins. For one, don't like the gold you use. Never have ^_^ . The sleeve stripes are nice, and I love that you kept the good old asymmetrical stripes. The logos really don't do it for me though. The W, circle, and arrow are so minimalist (sans serif, no jagged edges, etc.) compared to the extremely detailed feathers in both logos. Also a couple questions: 1. Why all red instead of a gold pants away alternate? All red has gotten such negativity in the past... 2. Three sock styles?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Love that alternate-- I did a concept similar to that back in the day (before I was on these boards). I've always loved that jersey for some reason. Pretty solid work here, but I like the AFC East considerably more for some reason. They feel more "fresh" to me.

Only four comments? C'mon man!

To respond to the feedback:

What is it you guys don't like about the Cowboys? They're essentially the unis they wore through the 70s and 80s but in navy instead of royal blue.

I tried more silver for the Eagles, and I like how it looks, but that would make three teams in the division with silver pants. I know I have two (*hint hint*) divisions with three white helmets, so maybe it could slide. I'll wait for more feedback to make a decision.

For the 'Skins, again, I'll wait for more feedback.

And to Doug's comment, I think the AFC East feels more "fresh" because the NFC East has more classic teams and classic designs. All four teams have generally had pretty conservative looks over the years and a lot of tradition, so I didn't want to change that too much.

Only four comments? C'mon man!

To respond to the feedback:

What is it you guys don't like about the Cowboys? They're essentially the unis they wore through the 70s and 80s but in navy instead of royal blue.

I tried more silver for the Eagles, and I like how it looks, but that would make three teams in the division with silver pants. I know I have two (*hint hint*) divisions with three white helmets, so maybe it could slide. I'll wait for more feedback to make a decision.

For the 'Skins, again, I'll wait for more feedback.

And to Doug's comment, I think the AFC East feels more "fresh" because the NFC East has more classic teams and classic designs. All four teams have generally had pretty conservative looks over the years and a lot of tradition, so I didn't want to change that too much.

Yeah, I hear you on that. I agree-- it's a tough division to do. Nice work, nonetheless. I think it's the lack of bright, bold colors that made it feel that way. Not intended as criticism, just an observation. :grin:

This is what I didn't like about the Eagles, the silver is ugly.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Why is the jet circling the player's tooshie?

It looks a little funny, especially on the white pants. Like John Madden got ahold of a radio controlled airplane and was making a real-life highlight reel.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I LOVE this concept. It's pretty much exactly what I would do. My only critique is that you used the more modern numbers on the Alt instead of the "old school" numbers you used on the home and road.

Good catch. For some reason I thought the throwbacks had standard block. It's been fixed.

Well, looks like it's time to move on. Hopefully the AFC North can garner a little more interest.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens: Home Road Alt

I like the Ravens current look, so I didn't change a ton design-wise. The only new additions are a pants stripe similar to the helmet stripe and the old full-bodied raven on the sleeves. Color-wise, though, I wanted to emphasize black, since ravens are black. So all three jersey sets feature black pants.

Cincinnati Bengals: Home Road Alt

I also didn't change a ton for the Bengals...just cleaned up the look. I limited the tiger stripes to the sleeves and pants panel, and I eliminated the yoke and side stripe. I also brought back the tiger head logo, putting it on the pants.

Cleveland Browns: Home Road Alt

For the Browns, the design stays the same but the colors are changed up. First I lightened the brown a little and gave it more of a reddish tint. Then I brought back the orange pants for the home and alternate sets.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Home Road Alt

The Steelers got the biggest change in the division. The helmet, sleeve, and pants stripes all feature a sublimated diamond plate pattern. I also simplified the sleeve stripes a little and widened the helmet stripe to match the pants stripe. Then I put the helmet numbers inside the stripe. The alternate stays the same as it is now, the yellow helmet throwback.

Love the Ravens combos. Really nice concept here.

Your. Tiger. Stripes. Are. So. Much. Better. Than. Mine. You keep making me want to improve, and I thank you for that! This is where the "three uniform" thing doesn't work for me. This set is screaming for an all black look.

Love the combos for the Browns. Solid.

This set makes it so that the Steelers have ZERO white anywhere except the numbers and in the logo. Some white has got to be added to the jersey. Almost makes it look "fake".

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived