SFGiants58's MLB

SFGiants58

That's great! However, I think it would be odd to have red on the alt only. You're best off making that maroon, because putting red on that alt is too out of place and inconsistent.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful job with the Phillies. I think the cream alternate could work as a throwback. Same with the powder blue jerseys as well. The only quirk I have with this set is that there would have to be 4 different pants combinations. I have to say though, each uniform just flat out looks pretty.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The Phillies look really good. I love the return to maroon, and the script looks really good. The only change I would make would be to the sleeves. For some reason I don't like that logo on the sleeves. I would go with just the liberty bell or numbers.

Why would you use a custom number font from another team?

Well, I thought the old Padres font worked well with the 80's Phillies design (better than that Helvetica variant they used at the time). Anyway, here are two teams from the NL East, the Marlins and the Mets.

MIAMI MARLINS

I am an Art Deco nerd. I love art deco design and colors, especially those used in Miami architecture from the 20s and 30s. So, when the Marlins unveiled their new logo set, I though to myself: "These logos have a large amount of potential, they just need cleaning up". I did just that.

Logos:

6591249039_984318bb53_b.jpg

I've gone with Art Deco colors, namely the pastel blue and yellow. These colors are common in Miami's Art Deco architecture, and the color combination is not used anywhere in the MLB (unlike black and orange). The "Marlins" script logo has been altered to fit better with the "Miami" one, and the inner drop shadow has been removed. On all scripts, the "A" has been given a sharper point to match the "M".

Uniforms:

6591248923_e3529d05d1_b.jpg

The "Marlins" script logo is now used more throughout the uniforms. White cleats also appear on the set, as well as a new number font that fits well with the uniform set without being to cartoonish or unusable due to inner drop shadow. Essentially, the design maintains the uniqueness of the current uniforms, while staying true to Miami's local history and removing any of the OKC Thunder-esque color clusterbleep.

NEW YORK METS

This was not too different from what the Mets do now, but I've installed a few modifications.

Logos:

6602273731_14bfd717ed_b.jpg

I've made a secondary logo, based on the Braves' current secondary.

Uniforms:

6602273601_18581d07f3_b.jpg

Basically, a slightly modified version of the 2012 uniform set. The road uniform has the 1987 "New York" script, as does the blue softball top alt (I've been trying to restrict each team to only two alternates).

Next up, the Nats!

The description under the thread title still says "Phillies", so you should update that.

Anyways, the Mets look nice; it's pretty straight forward.

The Marlins...ehh. I like how you pointed the "A" to match the "M", and there is a crapload of creativity here. However, it's just too bright and vibrant. They literally hurt my eyes when I look at them, and the alts would be illegible. There isn't any contrast because of two bright colours. Make the blue darker and this concept if 20x better. This is a tiny detail, but invert the stirrup and sock colours so that it matches the piping (if you know what I mean; B-Y-B). There's really not much wrong with this set other than the colours.

Marlins: Sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but those colors are horrendous. As BigBubba said, they hurt my eyes. There's no contrast between them. Personally, I would go with teal and orange, with maybe a little black for trim and to break the colors up a little bit more. I DO like that you simplified the logo and tweaked the "Marlins" script though.

Mets: Good job here. You kept black out, which is good, and I've always liked that "New York" script. One thing that's always bugged me about the Mets, however, is that they have two different white jerseys. I would pick one (the non-pinstripe would be my choice, to differentiate them from the Yankees), and either wear the blue jersey at home as well as on the road or maybe make an orange alt.

Mets: Great

Marlins: Like the idea, it just didn't pan out very well. There is no contrast between the two colors. It is especially hard to read the script on the yellow alternate. Both powder blue and yellow don't look very good with grey and a powder blue top with grey pants looks horrible. Also it's a little odd that the only jersey with yellow undershirts is the road alternate. I also agree with BigBubba about inverting the piping.

My suggestion? Try teal and yellow. A unique and underrated color scheme, definitely worth trying for Miami BUT for alternates either make two home alternates, yellow and teal, or just have on home alternate, teal, because neither of those colors go very well with grey pants.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

My suggestion? Try teal and yellow. A unique and underrated color scheme, definitely worth trying for Miami BUT for alternates either make two home alternates, yellow and teal, or just have on home alternate, teal, because neither of those colors go very well with grey pants.

Thanks, I think I'll go with teal and athletic gold for the revision.

Now, here's the NL East Update, with the Washington Nationals thrown in:

ATLANTA BRAVES

The White "A" returns, and the insignia on the feather is removed.

6616653721_789250209e_z.jpg

6616653713_dcf3946cd1_b.jpg

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

I've put maroon on the home alt, and numbers on the sleeves (something I like about the current uniforms).

6616653697_3e9c57596e_z.jpg

6616730613_c44f5642cb_b.jpg

MIAMI MARLINS

Going with Fox's advice, I've made the primary colors dark teal and gold, with blue and silver accents. The coloration has been changed to make it less painful to the eyes, but still in line with art deco aesthetics.

6616653671_099242467f_b.jpg

6616653687_5d6877152c_b.jpg

NEW YORK METS

An orange alt replaces the "snow whites".

6616787227_6785b0c9ab_b.jpg

Now, the new concept.

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

I like what the Nationals have done to their identity over the last 2 years, but I still have some big problems with it.

1. Navy blue as opposed to regular blue, which goes against the proper r-w-b aesthetic that should be in Washington D.C.

2. No use of the nice "Nationals" script logo

3. Minimal acknowledgment of their past as the Montreal Expos (they are getting better at that, but only slightly)

4. Overuse of the Wallgreens "W", as opposed to the excellent "DC" logo

I have fixed all of the above.

Logos:

6617695611_b4ed52eb60_b.jpg

The primary logo is the current, just with the "W" swapped out for a "DC". The red cap is still at home and the blue cap is still on the road.

Uniforms:

6617695589_fe1621336a_b.jpg

The home and road are mostly unchanged, just with a different serifed varsity font, and the "Nationals" script logo on the home. The road alt is simply recolored, with the "DC" patch that is on all the uniforms. The home alt is a different beast altogether, a tribute to the 69-91 Expos uniforms. The "DC" logo is now multicolored, with a white front-paneled cap. I felt it was simple tribute to the old Expos, far better than simply retiring the Expos' retired numbers.

Now that the NL East is done, it's time for the AL West!

Braves: Looks great, but I would drop uniform number on the front of the jersey. Just too much between the script, tomahawk, placket piping, and number.

Phillies: Maroon on cream alt = perfection

Marlins: Excellent update. A great example of how the Marlins could have been unique but still looked good.

Mets: Snow whites looked great, but so does the new orange alt.

Nationals: Fantastic concept. From the logos to the uniforms, bravo!

Overall, excellent. I love your work and will continue to follow this closely. I think you really nailed the NL East!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The updates are all perfect. Miami looks a lot better now.

The Nats look really good as well. I love the Nationals script and I'm glad you used it, and I like the emphasis on "DC" as well. The Expos tribute is cool as well. My only suggestion would be to put the primary logo (the roundel) on the sleeves...a big pet peeve of mine is teams having the same logo on hat and sleeve.

Braves: Good update. I agree with Fox, though, that the number on the front is a bit much.

Phillies: Perfect

Marlins: Much better, though having a silver-yellow "M" is too bright. Put either teal or blue where the silver is.

Mets: Perfect

Nats: I love the tribute to the Expos. However, three "DC" logos on the red alt is too much. Like mbannon92 said, put the roundel on the sleeve of that jersey.

On the Marlins concept, I would have preferred teal and orange. Teal and gold (or any variation of blue and yellow) looks to "California".

Examples: UCLA Bruins, Cal Golden Bears, San Diego Chargers, Golden State Warriors, LA Rams (when they were in LA).

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Archived