2013 Winter and Heritage Classic's

goalieboy82

I was beginning to think I was the only one tired of the same 5 teams in the Winter Classic, Its tiring and getting boring seeing Philly or Boston or Pittsburgh in it. if its a northeast team again next year I'm going to boycott it.

The Bruins have been in the Winter Classic the same number of times as the Red Wings and Blackhawks.

spacer.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok maybe the puck heads here can tell me if they like this idea but I always thought the Allstar game would be a cool thing to do as the outdoor game.

I enjoy the winter classic on its own but it'd be a great way to get the whole NHL fan base into the game a bit more. Now I feel the fans of each team are really into it with good but not great interest from everyone else.

Keep it on or around new years day (it's only moving the ASG up a month or so) and you could have it at neutral sites or still keep it in big hockey cities. Wrigley, Fenway, giants stadium, Camden yard, big house, the horseshoe, target field, canadian stadiums (I admit I don't know those very well), heck you could even go to a place like Seattle, Milwaukee, Cleveland or madison, wi this way. And your warm weather fans can get their players involved.

That's always been my thought. Pump some excitement into both events.

The way I see it, these are the teams that could host, based on location, and weather.

Boston

New York x2

New Jersey

Philly

Pittsburgh

DC

Buffalo

Detroit

Columbus

Carolina

Minnesota

Colorado

St. Louis

Chicago

San Jose(?)

I think that's it. But if you take out teams that wouldn't get ratings, so like Carolina, Islanders, and Columbus. Then that leaves teams who have been in them, or could get hooked up. I don't see Colorado or Minnesota hosting until they build really solid teams. A couple years until Duchene gets real good, and Denver could host. Detroit will probably get it next year based on host cities, and length since their last classic. It'd be cool to be against St. Louis. I might do a concept.

But could you imagine Sharks-Kings at AT&T or something? Neat. or Tampa.

Ok maybe the puck heads here can tell me if they like this idea but I always thought the Allstar game would be a cool thing to do as the outdoor game.

NO

Quoted for emphasis.

Great analysis (both of you) Any reason why?

NO

Quoted for emphasis.

Because the NHL All-Star game is a horrible display of hockey and the Winter Classic would be much better as a game that matters and is actually a good display of hockey.

EDIT: And what blueandbeliever said.

spacer.png

NO

Quoted for emphasis.

The All Star game is not fun to watch. It's like watching a beer league game with a bunch of flashy moves and big names. The only fun part is the fan fair and autographs. The game itself, lame. Maybe the skills competition but thats it.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

But could you imagine Sharks-Kings at AT&T or something? Neat. or Tampa.

Yes, good thought, but only if the Fight Hunger Bowl is eliminated, they need serious prep time to set up a winter classic.

Ah, i completely forgot about that. What they could do is play the Kraft Bowl at Berkeley, or Candlestick for a year. I'm not in charge of anything, but I think that should work. Hell, when the new 9ers stadium is built, it might be moved there full time. HELL, when the 9ers build the stadium, the Winter Classic could be played there! It's closer!

Yeah, i change my mind. AT&T is 50 miles away from San Jose. But the New 49ers stadium is 10. I think that would do nicely.

NO

Quoted for emphasis.

The All Star game is not fun to watch. It's like watching a beer league game with a bunch of flashy moves and big names. The only fun part is the fan fair and autographs. The game itself, lame. Maybe the skills competition but thats it.

Perfect. I just wanted a reason and that's a perfectly fine answer.

Read what Ted Leonsis posted on his blog today.

Part of what he said:

So ? to set the record straight ? there has NOT been any communication to us on a formal basis as to a Winter Classic coming to DC in a specific year. I have been told that the Winter Classic will NOT be coming to DC next year though. I have also been assured that because of the size of our fan base ? and the beauty of our city ? that a Winter Classic would come to Washington DC; at some point in the future. And that is good enough for me. Also ? the idea of a game being played on the Mall has been floated around for many years ? it is NOT feasible; there aren?t enough common areas to build out seats ? and the expense involved to create locker rooms; icestands and studios are prohibitive. The Mall is managed by the National Park Services; as well.

Comerica Park. Maple Leafs @ Red Wings. Just saw someone else suggested the Red Wings at the Big House in Ann Arbor. That would work too.

Michigan Stadium is still on the OFF list and current policy in the new club level/suites is no alcohol sales. However, the University of Michigan System has a specific number rules for selling alcohol for unlicensed locations.

Comerica is the better choice. During winter break periods, a collegiate campus is essentially shut down, so union staff has to work an additional day during a holiday. Plus while UM has a liquor license taps are not going to pour in Michigan Stadium compared to Comerica or Ford Field. The Lions could play week 17 away from home at three locations to make it available and they have had the Frozen Four.

Detroit hosting Chicago seems like the most likely scenario. I'd like to see it in Comerica Park, as would Ilitch. I say this because of the skylines and I prefer baseball stadiums over football stadiums. However, I don't see them passing up The Big House. On top of having 60,000-70,000 more seats, it'll have much better viewing angles and much more history.

After that, New York will get it eventually. As cool as Central Park would be, it doesn't seem all that feasible. It's got to be Yankee Stadium. It just makes sense over Citi Field. And it's New York, so why play in Jersey? Maybe somewhere way down the line the Devils will host in Metlife, but not the Rangers. They're going to have the Rangers host, but I seriously doubt they'll have the Isles/Devils be the opponent. Perhaps Buffalo, but I doubt it. Bettman probably wants them to play the Bruins so he can play up the Original Six/NY-BOS rivalry. Maybe by then we'll see a Canadian team, which'll mean TOR or MON, but again I doubt. I'm going to guess Carolina simply because they're the only team in their division under the proposed realignment that hasn't already been in a WC or isn't NYI/NJ.

As unlikely as it seems, I'd love to see LA host a WC. While it is coastal and much warmer than most cities, it's not like we can't and don't already have outdoor ice rinks in LA. There's literally one right next to where the Kings play. If the NHL does decide to try California, it's got to be LA with its history and marketability. As for venue, I'll predict the Coliseum, especially considering the Rose Bowl is going to be busy. As much as I love Dodger Stadium, and all its beauty, the Coliseum just makes more sense. Like Detroit, more history, better viewing angles, and way more seats. It's also got a more winning and arguably more cherished tenant than Dodger Stadium. Plus its closer to Staples Center. As for opponent, I'd love to see the Ducks, and then the Sharks but I doubt they'd both be California teams. The Coyotes won't exist anymore and it won't be the Canucks, even though that would be preferable. I'd like to see the Blues, having joined the league together, but I don't see it happening. It's going to be a stretch for it to be in LA in the first place so I'd think the NHL would need an opponent from a much bigger market to carry some pull. Also, the Kings, and the league's greatest player played for both teams. While he also played for others, one just played and one is Canadian.

As far as HC, I'd love a classic TOR/MON matchup. If not, I could see the NHL wanting WInnipeg involved, being new and all. Perhaps against Vancover, seeing as they'll probably be better than Ottawa and EDM/CAL/MON already played.

Detroit hosting Chicago seems like the most likely scenario. I'd like to see it in Comerica Park, as would Ilitch. I say this because of the skylines and I prefer baseball stadiums over football stadiums. However, I don't see them passing up The Big House. On top of having 60,000-70,000 more seats, it'll have much better viewing angles and much more history.

They can make the field but unlike the other stadiums the NHL has had a Winter Classic, you cannot sell booze in The Big House.

Archived