United Hockey League(AHL)

raysox

Sup?

So I've gotten back to playing NHL 10 on xbox again. One mode I love is the Be A Pro mode. I decided to try to be a goalie, got drafted to Toronto, and sent to the AHL to get some practice in. Then I realized, how stupid and bad some team names are. That, and the fact there's several Canadian teams in the American Hockey League.

So screw Tradition, and I'm gonna try to rebrand or redesign the teams in the newly named United Hockey League.

This is my logo! Simple script over a circle, with the top part of the circle red, with maple leafs for Canada. Then the bottom has stars for the USA. The alternates are logos for Canadian teams, and then American teams. I did a UHL logo itself, then finally conference logos.

League.png

Here are the teams, with links to the logos. I wanted to only have 2 conferences, with no divisions. It's what I propose the NHL does, because no matter what, ultimately the top 8 teams make the playoffs. The names aren't fully set. I want to change a few, but haven't decided yet! Suggestions maybe?

Atlantic Conference

Manchester Monarchs

Portland Pirates

Providence Bruins

St. John's IceCaps

Worcester Sharks

Adirondack Phantoms

Albany Devils

Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Connecticut Whale

Springfield Falcons

Binghamton Senators

Hershey Bears

Norfolk Admirals

Syracuse Crunch

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

Central Conference

Grand Rapids Griffins

Hamilton Bulldogs

Lake Erie Monsters

Rochester Americans

Toronto Marlies

Charlotte Checkers

Chicago Wolves

Milwaukee Admirals

Peoria Rivermen

Rockford IceHogs

Abbotsford Heat

Houston Aeros

Oklahoma City Barons

San Antonio Rampage

Texas Stars

Toronto Marlies

So this is the team I've noticed a lot because of the game. On their logo, they had a lighter blue. On the jerseys, they had silver outlines on the numbers. I felt like this would be a good team to model after the pro club. I combined all the blues to match the Leafs. Then made an alternate logo with the old Leafs logo, which the Marlies use behind the shield. I wanted something simple, so that's where I got that. The script is simply a strait one from the logo.

Toronto1.png

The jerseys, I did make them slightly different than the pro team. The sleeve stripes are the same, but I added off color shoulder yokes. Then did a stripe at the end of the sleeve and hem. Simplicity!

Toronto2.png

Next: Providence Bruins.

not bad!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Providence Bruins

Now, I didn't want to just reuse the pro team's logos. But since the team is the Bruins also, I felt like I could clean up their look. The logo for Providence didn't get updated when the Bruins got their new logo. That was my starting point for my rebrand. I made the current Bruins B a P, and called that my primary. The alternate logo is actually a current logo, and it looks real nice. OH, I also replaced the black with brown.

Providence1.png

The jerseys are different, too. I wanted to make the Bruins' Winter Classic jersey their full time set. I made minor changes, like the number outlines, but that's it. The home is a white version of the WC set, which I am also happy with.

Providence2.png

Bam! #2. Next is Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City Barons

Some minor changes to their logo set. First, I replaced red with orange to match Edmonton, and I just thought it went better with the scheme. On the logos themselves, I deleted the shadow on the lettering, because I felt it made the logo much more cluttered.

OKC1.png

The jerseys are based off the first edge uniforms for the Oilers. The only difference would be sleeve stripes I ran down the length of the sleeve. I also added piping, but other than that it's pretty toned down!

OKC2.png

League Logos: The one I like the best is the "UHL" monogram, where all the lettering is contained within the circle. And I think the others could be modified to do that same and look that much better. If you worked it so UNITED fits within the circle, then reduced HOCKEY LEAGUE so that it is the same width, I think that would look sharp. Same for either conference name (ATLANTIC or CENTRAL). I think this would also help establish a visual hierarchy among the words. Also not crazy about using Maple Leafs-style leafs to represent Canada; would prefer something closer to the style seen on the Canadian flag.

Marlies: Not many qualms here. Only thing I'm not feeling is the alternate patch; seems a little too detailed, especially for something that won't be terribly big on the jerseys.

P-Bruins: Love it; love everything about it. Love the change from black to brown. Love replacing BOSTON with PROVIDENCE in the alternate logo; that's one of my favourite alt logos to begin with.

Barons: First slip-up, I'm afraid. The Oilers brought in the copper to replace the orange in the 90s; they're too close in tone, I think, to use both. It's got to be one or the other. I wouldn't mind differentiating from the parent club by keeping the navy blue with the retro orange; that would be pretty neat. The uniforms just have too much going on ? apron strings, hem striping, elbow stripes, etc., etc., etc. Really not a fan of elements that get interrupted by nameplates, like the piping on the backs does. Simplify, simplify, simplify (but not too much; not to the point of the original Oilers Edge jerseys).

The league logos are solid, and the Marlies set looks really sharp! I like the Providence set too, but I'm not feeling OKC. The Barons logo is one of the best in the AHL, but those jerseys are an Edge abomination... arm stripes that stop, waist stripes that stop, and piping. I'd also stick with just copper to differentiate the team from Edmonton, but other than OKC, I really like what you're doing here!

The OKC sweater's piping is extremely busy, and it gets in the way of the captain patch as well. Otherwise this thread is awesome. Great work!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

you definitely need to change the okc jerseys. the striping is just awful.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Toronto - PERFECT. Good way to stand apart from the Leafs, while recognizing their elements.

Providence - PERFECT. My main gripe was that they never switched the "P" up themselves...

OKC - Just one step away from perfection...I'd say either copper OR orange (they do NOT look good together). Pick whatever you feel looks better, and I'll trust you.

P.S. As for the next one, I hope Worcester is next...want to see how you adapt the new Shark into the design (like the P-Bruins, the W-Sharks never updated their logo to match the parent club's)

bYhYmxh.png

Providince is beautiful.

OKC however dosen't work. stripes that only go halfway don't work. Also the apron stripes gotta go. But I do like the idea of replacing red with orange, good idea there.

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

First off, I love the concept of changing the league to United. I always thought something like that would make way more sense than American for the league. The only real critique I have is the "N" in united feels a bit awkward. To have every other letter in the primary logo look like a normal uppercase and then the letter n to appear like a tall lowercase feels awkward. Plus, the mirroring shapes of un next to each other looks like it should have more meaning than it does. The leafs, stars, and colors all work very well.

Marlies - Simplicity at its finest. The use of one blue and mirroring the Leafs works extremely well, especially since they even play in the same arena. Even the fact that the home and road are perfect mirrors of each other works well also. Maybe try using the font from the Maple Leafs to stylize the logo a bit more and add one more tie to the parent team would be nice.

Bruins - All biases toward Providence concepts aside, what you've done is beautiful. The color scheme is far better than what they're using now. In person, the gold almost appears neon and hideous. Plus the fact they're using all sorts of piping and striping isn't great either. In all honesty if they wore this set I'd probably start going to more games again, since these wouldn't be an assault on my retinas.

Barons - Looks great, all the minor changes have made a big difference. Just on the home, replace the bronze in the striping with white, since the orange and bronze blend together a bit.

TDZiMMB.png

Archived