2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the "if" Ichiro gets into the hall of fame business? He's a first ballot hall of famer as far as I'm concerned. He went to 10 straight all-star games, won the Gold Glove 10 straight times, 3 silver sluggers, rookie of the year, and MVP. He has one of the best rightfield arms we've ever seen. He's one of the best defensive outfielders we've ever seen. Also, HELLO, he's a lifetime .322 hitter, and he has 2500 hits in 12 years!

He's a Cooperstown lock even after waiting until he was 27 to come to MLB.

Ichiro is one of the best pure hitters of all time he is a lock to be in the Hall and he is the best player to come from Japan in the Majors.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't understand the talk around here about Ichiro. A lot of you guys are making it seem like he's batting .150 or something. .260 isn't terrible by any means. I realize it's not the .300+ he used to put up, but it's still pretty good. Why couldn't he play another 5-6 years too? He's 38 and in fantastic shape. I could see him playing decently effectively until he's 45. I hope he stays around in the Bronx for a while personally, and am glad to have him with the Yankees.

Though that walk across the field to the visitor's dugout must have been a little awkward

Manchester-City-icon.png

And before anyone starts, let's nip this s*** in the bud right now:

I don't give a :censored: if the Yankees win three straight more championships and Ichiro plays six more years...if he goes into the HoF, it WILL be as a Mariner.

(There...that oughtta stop a lot of stupid discussion before it starts over in one of the sixteen HoF threads in this SiG forum.)

No doubt about it. He's just a rental anyway.

He's not a rental. The Yankees didn't just pick up the biggest name in Japanese baseball with the intention of him just being a rental.

Yes they did. He's a free agent after this year and they've got enough vets at that spot. This is Ichiro 2012 not Ichiro 2001. Dude bats 8th or 9th in the order. Best case, he reestablishes his value in New York and gets decent money to play elsewhere where he can bat higher in the order and worse case, he's finished and retires after this year.

Mariners were happy to deal him because it didn't force them to bring him back for another few years at a higher than he deserves rate. He took the chance (he was a 10/5 guy and could veto) to go play for a contender after years of futility in Seattle.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I don't understand the talk around here about Ichiro. A lot of you guys are making it seem like he's batting .150 or something. .260 isn't terrible by any means. I realize it's not the .300+ he used to put up, but it's still pretty good. Why couldn't he play another 5-6 years too? He's 38 and in fantastic shape. I could see him playing decently effectively until he's 45. I hope he stays around in the Bronx for a while personally, and am glad to have him with the Yankees.

Though that walk across the field to the visitor's dugout must have been a little awkward

.261/.288/.353, 83 OPS+

That's a pretty empty .260 average. He can't really steal bases like he used to either.

He looked good tonight. Rejuvenation would be awesome. But he's always been at the plate for one reason - to hit the ball. He's never walked all that much. So a .260 average is that much worse.

Ichiro's stint with the Yankees will likely last as long as Pudge Rodriguez's and Lance Berkman's.

Lance Berkman's stint in New York would be much more fondly remembered if his home run in Game 4 of the ALCS wasn't overturned, a ruling that I felt was too inconclusive to make.

Who knows, the Yankees win that game, possibly that series, and Berkman would've been a big reason why. I get what you're trying to say, but it's insulting to Berkman to compare his stint with the Yankees to that of Pudge Rodriguez, who really was a total disaster. Richie Sexson would've been a better comp.

spacer.png

.261/.288/.353, 83 OPS+

That's a pretty empty .260 average. He can't really steal bases like he used to either.

He looked good tonight. Rejuvenation would be awesome. But he's always been at the plate for one reason - to hit the ball. He's never walked all that much. So a .260 average is that much worse.

Ichiro's stint with the Yankees will likely last as long as Pudge Rodriguez's and Lance Berkman's.

Lance Berkman's stint in New York would be much more fondly remembered if his home run in Game 4 of the ALCS wasn't overturned, a ruling that I felt was too inconclusive to make.

Who knows, the Yankees win that game, possibly that series, and Berkman would've been a big reason why. I get what you're trying to say, but it's insulting to Berkman to compare his stint with the Yankees to that of Pudge Rodriguez, who really was a total disaster. Richie Sexson would've been a better comp.

I suggest you re-read what I said, I didn't comment on any of the players performances, just the length of their stint with the team.

I know what you were referring to, but that logic could be used to define any rental in that case.

What I'm saying is Berkman made significant contributions in October - Pudge was part of the reason why he didn't play in October.

But I'm not trying to argue here or pick nails. Just seemed out of place to me, but to each their own. I concede your point and move on.

spacer.png

I hope Ichiro plays long enough to get to 3000 hits, that would be very cool. If the Yankees make the playoffs this year and the Angels don't, I might actual root for the Yankees. I would love to see Ichiro win the world series. He's one of my favorite players of the past decade.

What's with the "if" Ichiro gets into the hall of fame business? He's a first ballot hall of famer as far as I'm concerned. He went to 10 straight all-star games, won the Gold Glove 10 straight times, 3 silver sluggers, rookie of the year, and MVP. He has one of the best rightfield arms we've ever seen. He's one of the best defensive outfielders we've ever seen. Also, HELLO, he's a lifetime .322 hitter, and he has 2500 hits in 12 years!

He's a Cooperstown lock even after waiting until he was 27 to come to MLB.

If he was somehow able to play in North America for his a whole career instead of playing in Japan, he could've challenged for Peter Rose's record in the next few years. His combined hit total for both Japan and MLB combined is about 3,800, which is only about 450 hits away from the record, which he could probably get in 2-3 years of play. That's assuming he would be as good here in his early days as he was in Japan, but it's definitely possible.

Too bad, because it would be nice to see somebody take away that record from scumbag Rose.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8195019&i=TWT&w=1bzar&wjb

Ichiro Suzuki agreed to Yanks' list

Wallace Matthews

ESPNNewYork.com

July 24, 2012

Ichiro Suzuki apparently wanted the New York Yankees even more than the Yankees wanted him.

Before completing a trade to acquire the Japanese star, the Yankees spelled out a list of conditions to Ichiro, a former American League MVP and two-time batting champion.

Ichiro would be asked to switch positions, hit at the bottom of the lineup and possibly sit against left-handed pitching.

"He was fully educated on all our requirements," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com. "One by one, every box got ticked off."

Ichiro had requested a trade from the last-place Seattle Mariners, the only big league team he had ever played for after coming to the U.S. from Japan as a 27-year-old in 2001. But the Yankees were not sure the 10-time All-Star would be willing to make all the adjustments they required.

After Ichiro agreed to the conditions -- and waived his no-trade clause -- Cashman and Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik completed the deal that was initiated in a phone call between Mariners president Chuck Armstrong and Randy Levine, his counterpart with the Yankees.

"(Ichiro) was asked to make a lot of sacrifices," Cashman said. "And he agreed to all of them."

A team source acknowledged that if the player's name wasn't Ichiro, the Yankees probably wouldn't have had any interest in the outfielder, who is batting a career-low .261 this season.

But the consensus among Yankees scouts was that Ichiro was "bored" playing for the last-place Mariners and was "playing down to his surroundings." The Yankees hope this situation will reverse itself with the 38-year-old Ichiro suddenly shifted to a first-place team with a legitimate hope of reaching the World Series.

Yankees scouts reported that Ichiro's athleticism and defensive abilities were undiminished, another factor that influenced New York to take the leap of faith that Ichiro could return to a semblance of his former effectiveness.

And having parted with just right-handed pitchers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar, the Yankees have added a potential superstar to their already potent lineup.

"We think (Ichiro) is a reincarnation of Brett Gardner," Cashman said. "He's a reproduction of what we lost."

In fact, Ichiro at his best was a far better player than Gardner has been so far, a career .322 hitter with a string of 10 200-plus hit seasons to his credit who averaged more than 40 stolen bases in each of his first 11 major league seasons.

This year, Ichiro's numbers are way down -- his .288 on-base percentage places him near the bottom of the AL among players with at least 250 at-bats.

"He's a fit under the circumstances we're in," Cashman said. "Worst-case scenario, I've improved my outfield situation. Best-case scenario is a tremendous upside. We might be getting a superstar."

He's already playing only "decently effectively". You expect him to keep that up until age 45?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Weird seeing Ichiro in a Yankees uniform. Just about since Griffey left, Ichiro WAS the Mariners. I guess Felix is the Mariners now.

Looks like there's finally a Yankee I can tolerate.

If you can't "tolerate" Jeter or Rivera.. that says more bout you than it does about them

Weird seeing Ichiro in a Yankees uniform. Just about since Griffey left, Ichiro WAS the Mariners. I guess Felix is the Mariners now.

If you can't "tolerate" Jeter or Rivera.. that says more bout you than it does about them

Well I think it's mainly because they're always getting driven hard by the media, and it becomes annoying. We get it, two of the greatest, wearing pin stripes. Nothing new there.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

A team in the biggest market getting the most coverage. Shocking.

And people don't like it. It's not like it's going to change, so yeah why complain, but we all do. Most everyone will have a negative opinion of the Yankees. That's sports.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah, I gotta agree. I've never had much use for the Yankees but that's never stopped me from appreciating the great players they've had over the years. As a baseball fan, if you can't appreciate players like Jeter and Rivera...well...I don't think you should call yourself a baseball fan. Hell, Bernie Williams is one of my all-time favorite players.

Anyway, I thought Ichiro looked pretty natural in that Yankees uniform. It didn't seem as weird as I thought it would. Loved the bow he took in his first AB.

BB52Big.jpg

A team in the biggest market getting the most coverage. Shocking.

And people don't like it. It's not like it's going to change, so yeah why complain, but we all do. Most everyone will have a negative opinion of the Yankees. That's sports.

Well hearing everything and anything related to the Yankees is better than any Mets related news.

Archived