2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Angels can win the division, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

If they can't get past Texas, they'll be fighting just to get into the playoffs.

Should be interesting.

I had Texas as the favorite to come out of the AL, but now I'm not so sure.

Weaver, Wilson and now Greinke? Good luck with that in a three game series.

Only downside is if they lose out on the division. Let's say they face Detroit in a best of one series, which could very well happen. If the Tigers could start Justin Verlander every game, they would be a 100 win team, which is the biggest reason why I object to that winner takes all format. It completely takes pitching depth out of the equation.

Ditto. Considering the odds are that the two teams in the league play-in games will likely not have identical records, it's inherently unfair to the superior team to suddenly be on a level playing field with an inferior team. The only thing the #1 WC spot matters for is home field, but that doesn't mean nearly as much in baseball as it does in a sport like basketball.

If there is a way to "punish" a wild card team, I'd much rather it be in the form of having to play more road games. 2-1-2 or 1-4 format, or something to that effect. As it is, we're dealing with artificially created drama in the play-in games, not the amazing oddity of two teams playing to identical records over 162 game schedules. And I can't agree with that ideology.

Not MLB-related, really, but I just noticed that Pedro Feliz is playing independent ball for the Camden Riversharks. How the (not-so) mighty have fallen, indeed.

To probably nobody's surprise, Armando Benitez, Jon Halama and Joey Gathright are playing in the same league.

Just found out that good ole' Scotty Kaz is playing in that league now, as well.

Can't say the recent Shields/Angels rumours didn't make me think back on the Kazmir trade of 2009. Not really sure who got the worse end of that - Kazmir solidly sucked, but the Angels eventually cut the bait. Sean Rodriguez solidly sucks, and still gets regular AB's with the Rays.

spacer.png

Sometimes, not so much this year, but I'm not at the misinformed Zen-like bliss of those who think Theo Epstein will fix the team because he's Theo Epstein and that's what Theo Epstein does. What Theo Epstein did was gank the Athletics' analytics while adding clever little wrinkles like "spending metric f-cktons of money" and "have players use lots of steroids." Steroids are out, duh. Plus, the Ricketts family blew almost its whole fortune on sale price alone with no money left for operating costs; ergo, the Chicago Cubs shamefully have to be run on a Montreal Expos budget. I'm not so confident Epstein can work his magic without carte blanche and tainted piss. The best the Cubs can be is basically the de-Turnered Braves, with a decent pipeline of talent but without a wacky spendthrift owner.

While I agree with you on everything (Theo being overrated, steroids, Boston payroll, Ricketts family being over their heads), I don't see anything wrong with what Epstein/Hoyer has done so far with the Cubs. It's silly the way the media told everyone Epstein would turn around the Cubs the way he did the Red Sox, but I think it's worth giving him a chance. I mean, at least the organization made an effort to bring in a baseball guy, because obviously the family doesn't know what they hell they are doing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have a couple questions about caps, figured the guys discussing baseball in this thread would know best. Here goes: I just bought my first 5950, and even though I got the correct size, the hat sits so much lower on my head than all my other hats do. Is it "deeper" or anything like that? It does appear sort of boxy when comparing it to my other caps. Also, is the size measurement on the cap the dimension before curving the bill? Curving the bill seems to stretch the size a tiny bit. I bought a 7 3/8 but I'm thinking it may just be a tad bit big after some curve work.

Finally, is there a definitive listing of the Cooperstown Collection caps? I'm looking for 1 or 2 Devil Rays caps and I'm not sure what options are offered, each site or store seems to be different.

Thanks guys.

If the Angels can win the division, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

If they can't get past Texas, they'll be fighting just to get into the playoffs.

Should be interesting.

Only downside is if they lose out on the division. Let's say they face Detroit in a best of one series, which could very well happen. If the Tigers could start Justin Verlander every game, they would be a 100 win team, which is the biggest reason why I object to that winner takes all format. It completely takes pitching depth out of the equation.

Ditto. Considering the odds are that the two teams in the league play-in games will likely not have identical records, it's inherently unfair to the superior team to suddenly be on a level playing field with an inferior team. The only thing the #1 WC spot matters for is home field, but that doesn't mean nearly as much in baseball as it does in a sport like basketball.

If there is a way to "punish" a wild card team, I'd much rather it be in the form of having to play more road games. 2-1-2 or 1-4 format, or something to that effect. As it is, we're dealing with artificially created drama in the play-in games, not the amazing oddity of two teams playing to identical records over 162 game schedules. And I can't agree with that ideology.

Its just an such an obvious money grab.

Why don't you just go out there and win your division if you have a problem with it? Well if winning your division is that important, then why not just get rid of them entirely and just take the top two or four teams straight up in each league? You can't say on one hand I believe in the best of the best being the only ones that should be able to get into the postseason, but I on the other I believe each region being able to send at least one team to the playoffs regardless of what their record may be without contradicting yourself at some point. The Wild Card I thought was the best way of compromising that. The one team that just happens to be playing in the division with the 106 win team in it, but they are just as good if not better then the other two teams that are going to the playoffs. They should be allowed in as well on equal footing. I agreed with that. But this basically says no to that, but at time opens up that whole thing about the possibility winning 103 games but they're not treated the same as the 85 win team because they didn't win their division.

And like I said before I think its only about the money. The ratings for deciding games go up exponentially, so why not just cram one more in there every single postseason even if it goes against how the sport is meant to be played.

Welcome to the show, Corey Brown! His first hit is an opposite field solo HR off of Randy Wolf in the top of the fourth.

Also, in honor and celebration of the Negro League, the Nats are wearing the Homestead Grays road uniforms, while the Brewers are wearing the Milwaukee Bears home uniforms.

Oakland on their way to another win over the rapidly fading Orioles.

18-3 in July. Spectacular performance by them, reminiscent of the A's teams of the early 00's that routinely went on huge 2nd half runs. Whether they can maintain themselves once they cool off a touch remains to be seen.

With Texas scuffling of late, and the Angels getting Greinke, the AL West is rapidly turning into a three horse race.

spacer.png

Should be interesting.

Its just an such an obvious money grab.

Why don't you just go out there and win your division if you have a problem with it? Well if winning your division is that important, then why not just get rid of them entirely and just take the top two or four teams straight up in each league? You can't say on one hand I believe in the best of the best being the only ones that should be able to get into the postseason, but I on the other I believe each region being able to send at least one team to the playoffs regardless of what their record may be without contradicting yourself at some point. The Wild Card I thought was the best way of compromising that. The one team that just happens to be playing in the division with the 106 win team in it, but they are just as good if not better then the other two teams that are going to the playoffs. They should be allowed in as well on equal footing. I agreed with that. But this basically says no to that, but at time opens up that whole thing about the possibility winning 103 games but they're not treated the same as the 85 win team because they didn't win their division.

And like I said before I think its only about the money. The ratings for deciding games go up exponentially, so why not just cram one more in there every single postseason even if it goes against how the sport is meant to be played.

You had 162 games to prove you're better than everyone else in your division. The goal of the playoffs is to find the season's best team. I don't feel bad for teams that show over 162 games they aren't the best team out of a 5 team sample having to play one game and having one chance to continue their season. Baseball's regular season, more than any other sport, allows for this determination.

Personally, I'd be all for two divisions in each league again with only division winners qualifying for the playoffs, but now I need to STOP-REEL-LINE-MINT. :P

6fQjS3M.png

Wait - with that logic, aren't you far more likely to find the "best" team over 162 grueling games that often rewards the teams with the deepest staffs/pens/benches, compared to condensed rotations and bullpens you find in the playoffs?

Let me put it another way - no way in hell were the 2006 or 2011 Cardinals the best teams in the league. 2010 Giants? Nah. 2008 Phillies? Probably not. The team with the best record in baseball has only won the World Series three times since 1998 ('98/'09 Yankees, '07 Red Sox).

This logic obviously extends to football as well, as evidenced by a fairly mediocre Giants team winning the Super Bowl last year, despite being a mere 9-7 and being outscored over the course of the regular season.

To me, the playoffs have always been about getting hot at the right time. It would seem only fair if the best teams got hot at the same time, but more often than not, that doesn't happen. Only three teams in MLB have won 100+ games since 2008 - and two of them bowed out in the first round.

If the objective of the playoffs is to "find the season's best team", then it fails on most measures.

spacer.png

I really, really don't get what the Padres are doing.

Locking up pieces that are probably more valuable in trade, at not really any kind of discount, for another 2 years that they're not going to contend in either.

Well they came into the year with the top ranked minor league system in baseball, so they should be able to contend in two years time if they do everything right, and I would say if they aren't able to compete in at least four years they got bigger problems.

In terms of Huston Street though, the Padres bought low and I think should be selling high. He's in the middle of what is in all likelihood his career year and there's not much value in having a shut down closer if your a last place team, and I don't expect them to do much next year either. So the deal does strike me as being a bit odd.

Archived