2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francisco Cordero blowing games in the Reds' favor is the universe righting itself. This I know, after watching Houston this season and even with their AAAA ballclub, Brad Mills is not a good manager.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Dodgers get five hits in six pitches off of Jake Westbrook. Chris Capuano, feeling left out by being the sixth man up in the inning, attempts to stay at first base after hitting a sacrifice fly to center field.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

One day after their greatest shutout loss in franchise history, the Blue Jays beat Oakland 10-4. Is there a more bipolar team in the majors? One game you'll think their season is done, then they'll come back the next day and give you Wild Card hope.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

How many of the now 110 major league players in the history of the league hit their first major league home run on their first at bat on their first pitch they see?

Starling Marte just did that. Amazing!

Not sure how many did it on the first pitch, all I know is four hit grand slams on the first pitch they saw in the major leagues.

There was someone in 1898. Jeremy Hermida did it in 2005, Kevin Kouzmanoff in 2006, and Daniel Nava in 2010.

Fun fact - when Nava hit his, Jeremy Hermida was a teammate of his.

spacer.png

Four runs off Verlander in the 7th lead the Tribe to a win that keeps them in this "we're almost certainly not making the playoffs, but we can't give up and be sellers yet" spot.

Its tough to give up on the season if your three and a half out, but at the same time if they don't have the trade chips to get a solid starting pitcher, then they absolutely should be sellers, because I don't think they have any shot to catch either the Tigers or White Sox without one. They've been outscored by 40 runs this year. The fact they're at .500 right is more due to luck then how they've played.

Four runs off Verlander in the 7th lead the Tribe to a win that keeps them in this "we're almost certainly not making the playoffs, but we can't give up and be sellers yet" spot.

Its tough to give up on the season if your three and a half out, but at the same time if they don't have the trade chips to get a solid starting pitcher, then they absolutely should be sellers, because I don't think they have any shot to catch either the Tigers or White Sox without one. They've been outscored by 40 runs this year. The fact they're at .500 right is more due to luck then how they've played.

The fact that the Indians are at .500 is because they're able to win a bunch of close games thanks to Pestano and Perez. It's a Catch-22, you're finally getting some fan support for the first time this year because people are noticing that the team's kind of somewhat in playoff contention and they'll be pissed beyond belief if you sell, but you're in that limbo of "well, I don't think we can catch them, but we should still try, right?"

If the Tribe are able to get some good value for Choo or Perez, they have to make the deal now. While ideally it'd be nice to keep both of those guys around, ownership doesn't like spending money and Choo's gone after next year. Perez I believe has 2 years left, but is also going to be owed $7mm next season, something the Dolans likely don't want to pay a closer. The Indians' window is this year, next year, and maybe 2014, which makes it hard to go out and sell much of anything. I mean, if anyone wants Johnny Damon, Casey Kotchman, or Derek Lowe for some odd reason, I'm sure the Tribe'll deal them, but it's a pretty tough spot.

Had the Tribe lost last night, they'd definitely be sellers. But if they can get another decent arm and a right-handed bat, they've gotta give it a shot. When Jimenez and Masterson actually remember how to pitch, it's a really good 1-2 punch. They've gotta be consistent on the mound. The Tribe have the bait to make a deal for another pitcher, the question simply is whether or not they're willing to pay someone's salary. I mean, why couldn't they have pursued Wandy Rodriguez?

6fQjS3M.png

Zack Greinke traded to the Angels for Jean Seguera and two AA pitchers.

From what I'm reading it's Segura, Jonny Hellweg and Ariel Pena.

While I'm glad to get Grienke, I'm a bit upset to see those three prospects go. Segura's the Angels' top prospect, and what looks to be a good future middle infielder. Hellweg is a 6'9" pitcher with, from what I've read, a hell of a fastball. Like most young pitchers, he dealt with control issues, but he seems to have improved. Pena looked like he could be the next K-Rod to go through the Angels' system during Spring Training. He had an AWFUL future's game, but averages roughly a strikeout per inning.

Zack Greinke traded to the Angels for Jean Seguera and two AA pitchers.

From what I'm reading it's Segura, Jonny Hellweg and Ariel Pena.

While I'm glad to get Grienke, I'm a bit upset to see those three prospects go.

At least it's not Richards or Bourjos. We really didn't have room for Segura anyways, so I'm happy with the deal.

Be thankful you're not a Cubs or Royals fan.

I wear my Cubs hat most proudly right after they get their asses kicked. Show everyone I'm hangin' in there forever.

But do you complain regularly?

Sometimes, not so much this year, but I'm not at the misinformed Zen-like bliss of those who think Theo Epstein will fix the team because he's Theo Epstein and that's what Theo Epstein does. What Theo Epstein did was gank the Athletics' analytics while adding clever little wrinkles like "spending metric f-cktons of money" and "have players use lots of steroids." Steroids are out, duh. Plus, the Ricketts family blew almost its whole fortune on sale price alone with no money left for operating costs; ergo, the Chicago Cubs shamefully have to be run on a Montreal Expos budget. I'm not so confident Epstein can work his magic without carte blanche and tainted piss. The best the Cubs can be is basically the de-Turnered Braves, with a decent pipeline of talent but without a wacky spendthrift owner.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Angels can win the division, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

If they can't get past Texas, they'll be fighting just to get into the playoffs.

Should be interesting.

I had Texas as the favorite to come out of the AL, but now I'm not so sure.

Weaver, Wilson and now Greinke? Good luck with that in a three game series.

Only downside is if they lose out on the division. Let's say they face Detroit in a best of one series, which could very well happen. If the Tigers could start Justin Verlander every game, they would be a 100 win team, which is the biggest reason why I object to that winner takes all format. It completely takes pitching depth out of the equation.

Not MLB-related, really, but I just noticed that Pedro Feliz is playing independent ball for the Camden Riversharks. How the (not-so) mighty have fallen, indeed.

To probably nobody's surprise, Armando Benitez, Jon Halama and Joey Gathright are playing in the same league.

Archived