2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it better for the Orioles to tank the game today? If they win, they can tie New York for first, which would mean a Game 163 to determine who doesn't have to play the wild card game. If they lose, they guarantee going straight to the wild card game without having to possibly burn their #1 and #2 starters just to get to the ALDS, just the #1. You can't worry about seeding; at this point, they're all good. You can worry about using up your pitchers.

Getting a little Willmorrisey on us.

If you're an Orioles fan and they have a shot at winning the division, probably the hardest division in sports to win and what would be an incredible story, you want them to go for it.

Of course I would if I were a fan, but just thinking about the outcomes, I don't know if I want the risk of tying for first, burning my ace against the Yankees, losing, burning my #2 against the A's, and either

1) losing with my #2 pitcher

2) winning to go to the ALDS with my 3 against their 1

I would just take the sure thing and bypass playing a game I don't have to play.

Forget "sure thing" if the "sure thing" is a win-or-go-home game. Both games would be do-or-die, and the ultimate goal is the make it to the ALDS. In that case, I go for the option which gives me the most chances of winning and don't worry about saving pitchers. In the 2004 NLCS with the Astros up 3-2, Houston pushed fatty Clemens back and let someone named Pete Munro pitch game 6, thinking they would save Clemens for game 1 of the World Series but still have him for game 7 if needed. They ended up losing both games. You don't know what pitchers are going to have on any given day, but I think you have to go all out to try to win each game. As for potentially wasting your top two starters to get in, you just worry about winning one of those games. It's like 14+ inning games in the regular season when fans ask for their team to just lose so they don't blow their bullpen for the next day. You don't know how tomorrow will go, so you have to try to win today.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I dont care if scouts use it, I just dont want the press to use and decide MVPs that way

So now that you've conceded that organizations using sabermetrics isn't necessarily EVUL, why on Earth would you want the baseball media to judge players on an entirely different set of criteria than the rest of baseball?

For the same reason I dislike QB Raiting it is a stat that seperates the game from the fan.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

How good is this season?

Seriously ....

Miggy is going to win the Triple Crown, the A's and Rangers are fighting for the division on the last day, the O's and Nats game out of left field and are in it to win it. What else?

How good is this season?

Seriously ....

Miggy is going to win the Triple Crown, the A's and Rangers are fighting for the division on the last day, the O's and Nats game out of left field and are in it to win it. What else?

No Red Sox either!

6uXNWAo.png

I dont care if scouts use it, I just dont want the press to use and decide MVPs that way

So now that you've conceded that organizations using sabermetrics isn't necessarily EVUL, why on Earth would you want the baseball media to judge players on an entirely different set of criteria than the rest of baseball?

For the same reason I dislike QB Raiting it is a stat that seperates the game from the fan.

More accurate stats separate fans from the game, tnak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19HEUmnqDk&feature=related

How good is this season?

Seriously ....

No Red Sox either!

That's not good!

Sorry...sorry...

spacer.png

Why can't fans be smart?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How good is this season?

Seriously ....

No Red Sox either!

I agree to all of that! :)

2012 TEXAS RANGERS: WILD CARD CHAMPIONS

Congrats to Oakland on hanging in there all season, then blowing away the West in October. I didn't think they could do it. A-mazing!

Game isn't over yet, but the Rangers offense has just gone into hibernation since it became a bullpen game.

5 and a third innings of work, 7 K's, 1 walk which was just issued, 4 hits and no runs allowed.

Per CSN California:

Only the 1951 NY Giants and 2006 Minnesota Twins have finished in first place when they were only in first place for one day all season.

Looking more and more likely the 2012 Oakland A's will do the same. Simultaneously, they will also become only the fifth team in ML history to finish in first place when they trailed by 13+ games at any point in the season (with the 1914 Boston Braves, the '51 Giants again, the 1978 NY Yankees, and 1995 Seattle Mariners).

Baseball always finds ways to amaze.

spacer.png

Archived