Gridiron League of America

BrianVlietDesign

Rough Riders already has a lot of football tradition attached to it though. Personally, my favorite Harley themed nickname for Milwaukee would be Outlaws, though I could certainly live with Riders... anything but Wild Hogs!

To piggyback on Jaha's suggestion of Iron, I think Iron Horses could make an awesome nickname if executed correctly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birmingham Vulcans

Boise Timbers (Boise Bois is a little too Winnipeg Winnipegs to my liking)

Los Angeles Sabers/Sabres (The La Brea Tar Pits)

Louisville Colonels

Milwaukee Bocks (I saw a winning entry on PuckDrawn that used this name. It's a beer that is usually adorned with a goat on the label.)

NY/NJ Regulars (Best one I could give. If you're looking for unconventional locations, may I suggest Rhode Island?)

Norfolk Neptunes

Omaha Bombers

Salt Lake Hive

San Antonio Defenders

soundersbanner.png

Birmingham Ironmen

Boise Bandits

Los Angeles Landsharks

Louisville Stallions

Milwaukee Bikers

N.Y./N.J. Enforcers

Norfolk Neptunes

Omaha Scarecrows

San Antonio Toros

S.L.C. Punks

I have a few questions to ask the Commish about the GLA:

- How many players to each roster?

- Will there be third jerseys?

- Will there be a gimmicky ball design, or just the classic brown leather?

- Who will broadcast games? ABC Family, FX, USA, TNT, TBS or Spike?

I have a few questions to ask the Commish about the GLA:

- How many players to each roster?

- Will there be third jerseys?

- Will there be a gimmicky ball design, or just the classic brown leather?

- Who will broadcast games? ABC Family, FX, USA, TNT, TBS or Spike?

1.) It would be a 40-42 player roster

2.) Third jerseys would not be worn the first season, however teams would be allowed to have different style uniforms for home and road.

3.) No gimmick ball. A plain, classic leather ball with the GLA emblem.

4.) Games would be broadcast on TNT (2 year deal) and CBS (1 year trial deal). Games will take place on Sunday afternoons and an evening main event game would be played, as well.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Off-topic but just a brief aside ref the term 'gridiron.' Always wondered about that nickname until I saw this pic in a recent issue of SI. It's Canton vs. Massillon in 1906.

Massillon-canton_game_2.jpg

Then there's this on Wikipedia. Guess I never knew enough of the history to realize the fields were marked this way:

800px-Football_Diagram_1904.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Birmingham, Alabama

Birmingham Hammerheads

-Not as in hammerhead sharks but as in the iron industry that it' been known for. Their logo could be more like the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers wielding a sledge.

Boise, Idaho

Idaho Mountain Kings

-Castle Peak is the highest summit in the White Cloud Mountain Range. I think it sounds better than just Mountaineers or Mountain Men. Maybe a logo of a battered flag in a peaktop.

Los Angeles, California

L.A. Stars

-Okay it's a little plain, but hey, movies are what the city is known for. Team colors could come from the city's flag and use the gold in place of a white away jersey like their basketball counterparts.

Louisville, Kentucky

Kentucky Cavalry

-Louisville is home to the 5th Cavalry Regiment aka "Black Knights" It's one off the Army's most famous Cavalry units.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Milwaukee Warthogs

-The term "Hogs" means many things. It can refer to football linemen, it can refer to motorcycles (such as Milwaukee's Harley-Davidson), it can refer to sausages (which Milwaukee is famous for from their German and Polish ancestry), and or course there's always "pigskin" which football is also nicknamed. Plus a warthog is just a mean and nasty creature to cross paths with. The UFL's defunct Florida Tuskers or Arkansas Razorbacks might be a good look for inspiration.

New York/New Jersey - Harrison, NJ

New York Empire or Gladiators

-New York City is considered the Rome of the modern world and of course the state is known as the Empire State. A Roman gladiator motif just seems natural.

Norfolk, Virginia

Virginia Poseidons

-Norfolk is home to the largest naval base on the East Coast and while Poseidon and Neptune are essentially the same being, I just thought Poseidon just sounds tougher. Maybe its from the Manga I grew up on.

Omaha, Nebraska

Omaha Brahmans

-Brahmans are a type of cattle. Their bulls are particularly big (Think Mongo's ride in Blazing Saddles)

Salt Lake City, Utah

Utah Mustangs

-Utah is home to several free range Mustang herds.

San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio Tornadoes

-I like the sound of Tornado over Twister. To me twister was always a childhood game, or referred to an injury, neither sounds like football to me.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

As a native of Omaha, I'd suggest either going with a pioneer or Lewis & Clark theme, OR going with aviation inspired names since there is a lengthy history of Air Force and military involvement in Omaha.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Here are my suggestions. Bolded are what I would choose.

Alabama Vulcans

Birmingham Bandits

-Can't decide, but since it seems to be popular - Vulcans I guess.

Boise Bois

Boise Blue

-I just love the sound of "Now taking the field your Boise Blue"

Los Angeles Dynasty

LA (Los Angeles) Pacific

-I've never seen either of these as actual nicknames. LA Dynasty I used for a team in Madden. But I like the LA Pacific better - For the Pacific Ocean, though it could also double for the Pacific Railroad that had a line along the Pacific Coast.

Kentucky Knights

Louisville Lancers

-As one who has lived in Kentucky "Louisville Lancers" sounds the best if you pronounce Louisville as outsiders do aka incorrectly, but doesn't have same when ring to it when pronounced correctly. So I went with Kentucky Knights. I picture green with a hint of blue (Bluegrass) color with Silver and white.

Wisconsin Whitecaps

Milwaukee Milk

Wisconsin/Milwaukee Dairy Kings

-While Milwaukee Milk might work, I think Dairy Kings incorporates all of Wisconsin's dairy contributions.

NY/NJ Union

-Best fit imo.

Virginia Victory

-Trying to think of something synomous with ships and Virginia. A ship called the Victory - puts a lot on the team though to win :)

Omaha (Rough) Riders

-I prefer just "Riders" as it could mean more and theres more to be explored with than "Rough Riders" imo

SLC Yellow Jackets

Utah Blizzard

With it's nickname as the Beehive State, just makes sense for something bee-related to be the name of the team. I went with Yellow Jackets in case the NBA Jazz and Hornets ever decide to stop the confusion and swap nicknames, you would have two pro team in the same city with the same name.

San Antonio Annihilators

San Antonio Storm Troopers (If the team was permitted - I'd use this one :D) otherwise any others works for me

San Antonio Dusters

San Antonio Stampede/Stallions.

These are just my suggestions - take/leave what you like. Looking forward to the concepts!!

Birmingham, Alabama

Birmingham Hammerheads

-Not as in hammerhead sharks but as in the iron industry that it' been known for. Their logo could be more like the USFL's Pittsburgh Maulers wielding a sledge.

The state bird of Alabama is the yellowhammer, so I've always thought Birmingham Yellowhammers or just Birmingham Hammers would be a cool team name...and it makes much more sense than Hammerheads. Although there is now actually an indoor footbal team called the Alabama Hammers with a bird logo, so it's not completely original anymore.

Another idea - San Antonio Heroes (refering to the Heroes of the Alammo).

Potential Names for GLA Cities

Birmingham, Alabama

Birmingham Bulls

Boise, Idaho

Boise Miners

Los Angeles, California

Los Angeles Gladiators

Louisville, Kentucky

Louisville Stallions

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Milwaukee Stockers

New York/New Jersey - Harrison, NJ

NY/NJ Revolution

Norfolk, Virginia

Norfolk Nighthawks

Omaha, Nebraska

Omaha Bombers

Salt Lake City, Utah

Utah Travelers

San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio Gunslingers

spacer.png

Wisconsin Whitecaps

Milwaukee Milk

-While Milwaukee Milk might work, I think Dairy Kings incorporates all of Wisconsin's dairy contributions.

Just... no...

Not only have no major dairy facilities ever been located in Milwaukee, Dairy Kings and Milk are just about the stupidest names pitched in a thread full of stupid names.

Wisconsin Whitecaps

Milwaukee Milk

Just... no...

Not only have no major dairy facilities ever been located in Milwaukee, Dairy Kings and Milk are just about the stupidest names pitched in a thread full of stupid names.

Wow, you really need to tone down your criticism. It was a suggestion aimed at WW88, not for you to get all Touched by a hissy fit.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Wisconsin Whitecaps

Milwaukee Milk

Just... no...

Wow, you really need to tone down your criticism. It was a suggestion aimed at WW88, not for you to get all Touched by a hissy fit.

Honestly, I think my criticism is much less harsh than what someone would hear if they were to seriously come to a franchise owner with a proposal to call their team the Milwaukee Milk.

Archived