Associated Press New Logo

RedSox44

Huge downgrade. Even seeing it in context doesn't help it in my view.

I don't believe in change for change's sake. If you have a good logo that has worked for 20, 30, 50, 100 years, it will last another 20,30, 50, 100 years. Changing a logo means admitting you made a mistake in the first place. (Observe CBS, Coca-Cola, McDonald's etc.)

They had a good logo, but they didn't have a good system to support it. It's usually counterintuitive to attempt to build a system around an existing logo because people will inevitably fall back into doing what they want with the logo and treating it how they used to since its the same old logo. That's why you start fresh when you're building an identity system. People see a new logo, they know there are new rules and are more ready to accept that and comply with the guidelines.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Looks better on the guidelines as always but why doesn't the red at the bottom go all the way across the white box?

It does...

Must need my eyes testing, but for me the bottom right is slightly shorter.

logo.png

Looks better on the guidelines as always but why doesn't the red at the bottom go all the way across the white box?

It does...

Must need my eyes testing, but for me the bottom right is slightly shorter.

I see that as well...especially when viewed at 100%. It looks like it's 1/4 of a pixel off or something until you continue to zoom in.

At any rate, while I think it isn't a bad design...it just isn't as good as what they had before. If this were a new agency, then yeah...I would like it.

However, I just don't see why you would depart from the previous design that flowed well.

EDIT: The red line, in fact, is not the same length as the white box.

I brought it into Illustrator and the values for the widths of each box do not match...off by .0001 or so. If you select both boxes and try to scale them, you can see this easier.

Actually, it gets worse...and this is really shoddy work: the letters, especially the "A", is not one smooth vector set...it's essentially an upside down "V" with a trapezoid put in place for the horizontal stroke of the "A".

EDIT: The red line, in fact, is not the same length as the white box.

I brought it into Illustrator and the values for the widths of each box do not match...off by .0001 or so. If you select both boxes and try to scale them, you can see this easier.

Actually, it gets worse...and this is really shoddy work: the letters, especially the "A", is not one smooth vector set...it's essentially an upside down "V" with a trapezoid put in place for the horizontal stroke of the "A".

Can cancel that eyetest now then :-)

logo.png

I don't believe in change for change's sake. If you have a good logo that has worked for 20, 30, 50, 100 years, it will last another 20,30, 50, 100 years. Changing a logo means admitting you made a mistake in the first place. (Observe CBS, Coca-Cola, McDonald's etc.)

Just like the president lives in the original White House, correct?

LOL.

CBS

CBS_oval_logo.gif

Coca-Cola

logo-evolution-brand-companies-coca-cola.jpg

McDonalds

1st_logo.gif

LOL.

CBS

CBS_oval_logo.gif

Coca-Cola

logo-evolution-brand-companies-coca-cola.jpg

McDonalds

1st_logo.gif

Point taken.

But you will admit that those companies changed from their original design to an iconic logo, then stuck with that for decades. (Coca-Cola is essentially the same since the 1900s.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived