Associated Press New Logo

RedSox44

Huge downgrade. Look at the previous logos, the A and P work together in harmony. This new version has no flow, it's just two letters. A and P don't gel together normally, as seen here, it's just not a good look. I'm only 24 so I view the old AP logo as iconic, instantly recognizable. The new one looks like it could literally be for any company in any field. The personality is gone.

And what's with the red line?

Definite downgrade...I don't understand why organizations need to redesign their brands when it's unnecessary. Are they approached by design firms? Do they seek it out? Why spend thousands and thousands of dollars on something like this -- for an organization that isn't targeting retail consumers.

Huge downgrade. Look at the previous logos, the A and P work together in harmony. This new version has no flow, it's just two letters. A and P don't gel together normally, as seen here, it's just not a good look. I'm only 24 so I view the old AP logo as iconic, instantly recognizable. The new one looks like it could literally be for any company in any field. The personality is gone.

And what's with the red line?

Probably wanted to get some color in there.

spacer.png

Downgrade. And did anyone else automatically think of Borders books when they first saw the logo [esp. with the red underline, which seems really out of place spaced that far down]?

Holy crap. I definitely see it.

apborderscomparisoon.png

spacer.png

That's so, so bad. There old logo wasn't particularly great, but it worked, and it was recognized, and it had credibility associated (no pun intended) with it in a second of seeing it.

This is gonna take time to adjust to, and it just looks bad.

I encourage you all to look at AP.org, and the brand guide and such. As tends to happen, this identity looks a lot better in practice than it does from a single image of the logo. I'm not nearly as confused or upset by it as I was 5 minutes ago.

Now, my hope is that the rest of their website will come out of the 1990s pretty soon (and they say it will). Cuz it's pretty, pretty awful right now for such a reputable news source.

Could the logo be better? Yes. But, I think this will actually be a tremendously positive visual step in the right direction for the organization.

That's so, so bad. There old logo wasn't particularly great, but it worked, and it was recognized, and it had credibility associated (no pun intended) with it in a second of seeing it.

This is gonna take time to adjust to, and it just looks bad.

I encourage you all to look at AP.org, and the brand guide and such. As tends to happen, this identity looks a lot better in practice than it does from a single image of the logo. I'm not nearly as confused or upset by it as I was 5 minutes ago.

Now, my hope is that the rest of their website will come out of the 1990s pretty soon (and they say it will). Cuz it's pretty, pretty awful right now for such a reputable news source.

Could the logo be better? Yes. But, I think this will actually be a tremendously positive visual step in the right direction for the organization.

It looks a lot better in use. That being said, I still consider it a lateral move.

spacer.png

It's a lateral move, but if you must make a lateral move to put all of your assets under the same visual umbrella, then I'm fine with this. The color scheme is much better, and while the old logo had more character going for it, the new letterforms are great in their own right and I think this new logo will be much more current and versatile for them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wel, now instead of looking like Austin Peay, they look like borders. Lateral movement.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Huge downgrade. Even seeing it in context doesn't help it in my view.

I don't believe in change for change's sake. If you have a good logo that has worked for 20, 30, 50, 100 years, it will last another 20,30, 50, 100 years. Changing a logo means admitting you made a mistake in the first place. (Observe CBS, Coca-Cola, McDonald's etc.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived