Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

I wasn't really thinking of the Knicks losing fans so much as not gaining new ones. They're at something of an ebb in terms of their popularity as far as I can figure, holding on to the die-hards but not drawing much interest from either casual basketball fans or newcomers to the city. I was speaking more in terms of growing the base of basketball fans.

They're on the upswing from the truly dark years. I hope they keep it going; the NBA is more fun when the Knicks are a big deal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vertical arching? Not radial?

I wasn't really thinking of the Knicks losing fans so much as not gaining new ones. They're at something of an ebb in terms of their popularity as far as I can figure, holding on to the die-hards but not drawing much interest from either casual basketball fans or newcomers to the city. I was speaking more in terms of growing the base of basketball fans.

They're on the upswing from the truly dark years. I hope they keep it going; the NBA is more fun when the Knicks are a big deal.

I'd tend to agree.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Dolans' combination of complacent arrogance and spectacular mismanagement of their crown jewel has opened a very wide door for another team to come in and carve off large sections of the ever-expanding market.

And a real competitor for that market just might provide the Knicks with the pressure they need to actually be a big deal.

Any fan who would relinquish his Knicks fandom for the also-ranniest of New York's also-rans wasn't a fan worth having in the first place. This is just putting hipster on a pig. For the Nets to couch themselves in Brooklyn b.s. as if they predate the amalgamation of the city is actually kind of galling.

welcome to new york. home of the "yeah, but i've always liked them, too!" fan.

here's the thing: it's like this anywhere. people love winners. but having two-three teams in the market for each of the four major sports lends itself to the casual fan hopping on whichever team is good's bandwagon.

the knicks happen to run by the douchiest of new york's douchetastic owners, so anything the nets do to appear more fan friendly, hip, fresh, whatever is going to help them lure away the new fan or the ones that are just looking to wear something cool while walking down the street. if you want to debate the merits of those fans, that's another story. but really, the knicks should be in no way, shape, or form positioned to lose any fans to the nets based on how long they've had a stranglehold of the market. the fact that they have (and if the nets open up the season strong and the knicks languish in any way, will continue to) is a real testament to how inept things are down at good ol' MSG.

sig2024.png

the knicks happen to run by the douchiest of new york's douchetastic owners

Jeff Vanderbeek ran Lehman Brothers while they were laying the groundwork for what we might as well call the second Depression. I think that's even douchier than gainfully employing Isiah Thomas.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the knicks happen to run by the douchiest of new york's douchetastic owners

Jeff Vanderbeek ran Lehman Brothers while they were laying the groundwork for what we might as well call the second Depression. I think that's even douchier than gainfully employing Isiah Thomas.

solid point.

sig2024.png

Mike Lee, Wizards beat writer for the Washington Post, retweeted this tweet:

@MrMichaelLee

Zzzzz RT @NYDNInterNets: RT @eLonePB: From everything I've heard from Nets insiders, these are new Brooklyn jerseys:

24423bde01f911e2bf6922000a1e8ad1_7.jpg

If true, there appears to be a chevron pattern on the trim. I can't tell whether it's a grey pattern, or merely different lighting due to embroidery.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the jerseys were unveiled last night at the Jay-Z concert opening the Barclays Center (ownership has its privileges, even a tiny minority ownership piece).

jay-z-brooklyn-nets-jersey2.jpg

jay-z-brooklyn-nets-jersey.jpg

Not a huge fan of the subtle pinstripe pattern, but other that they they're pretty good. I really love the word mark.

jay-z-brooklyn-nets-jersey-3.jpg

What you can't see in this graphic is that the thin white stripe down the side of the body (and the corresponding black one on the white jersey) has a contrast-thread herringbone pattern on it. A subtle call-out to the court, and very cool.

uniforms-revealed-004_0.jpg

Maybe it is Adidas's standard mesh. I gave up on basketball years ago, so I'm not up on the intricacies of construction.

I thought this was a design element:

uniforms-revealed-005_0.jpg

But if that's just the standard material, and not an attempt to busy up the jerseys, then I like them more.

Archived