Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely on September 28th, when Jay-Z opens Barclays with his first of eight straight concerts. NBA 2K13 comes out 4 days after that concert, so it won't be any later than that.

that is the definitive date. it's just a matter of how they announce it. most expect some kind of tie-in with the jay-z show.

sig2024.png

Most likely on September 28th, when Jay-Z opens Barclays with his first of eight straight concerts. NBA 2K13 comes out 4 days after that concert, so it won't be any later than that.

that is the definitive date. it's just a matter of how they announce it. most expect some kind of tie-in with the jay-z show.

He'll probably come out at the beginning of the concert in the new jersey.

You sure you get it? Because you just the said the same thing which is the complete opposite of what he was saying.

Yankees NY variations = ALL in official style guide, therefore ok to be used in various forms.

Nets thicker letters logo = NOT an official logo and therefore NOT supposed to be used in any capacity of reproduction.

They are not the same thing.

It's one thing for manufacturers to still sell stock made using the old, unapproved version of the logo. It's another thing for the Nets to feature said stock on the front page of their team website:

shop_478x165_090712E.jpg

And in their official team store:

http://www.netsstore.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1055&catID=101

1055_large.jpg

Of course, they offer this hat for sale as well...

1049_large.jpg

...so go figure.

Perhaps the error isn't in the use of an "unapproved logo," but the omission of the thicker logo variant from the official NBA style guide.

That the Nets have to use all this grey in merchandise out of necessity sort of blurs the difference between their set and San Antonio's. Another brilliant move. 50-year-old signs, though!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He'll probably come out at the beginning of the concert in the new jersey.

"ball so hard in this new jersey

No longer in new jersey..."

And then kanye and kris Humphries are gonnna be on stage together and it's gonna get really awkward.

And apparently David Robinson doesn't approve of tr new look..

shop_478x165_090712E.jpg

The rivalry begins?

....um, what?

They open against the Knicks on November 1st.

Unlike Devils-Rangers, these two were previously incapable of a rivalry because of sheer distance.

duh...they had to cross a completely different body of water. Even if they are both only about 8 miles away from MSG. Maybe they considered traffic time too?

That the Nets have to use all this grey in merchandise out of necessity sort of blurs the difference between their set and San Antonio's. Another brilliant move. 50-year-old signs, though!

I wouldn't say the "have to use" grey merch. Their stuff is all over Brooklyn right now and I don't really see anyone wearing the grey stuff.

Unlike Devils-Rangers, these two were previously incapable of a rivalry because of sheer distance.

More like they were never good at the same time, so a rivalry never developed.

In 35+ seasons they've been playing in the same division, they were in the playoffs at the same time for only 8 seasons, and while they did play each other in the first round 3 times, those happened in 3 different decades...

Besides, Brooklyn is basically positioning themselves in the marketing campaign as a "new" team, so I guess they want to refer to this as a "new" rivalry.

I wouldn't say the "have to use" grey merch. Their stuff is all over Brooklyn right now and I don't really see anyone wearing the grey stuff.

Not to mention grey is a generic color that all teams put merchandise on.

I don't think the Knicks ever considered the Nets to be a serious threat to the market, so there was never a local rivalry. The Nets might as well have been in Rhode Island.

Of course, that's no longer the case, and now they will have to actually fight to remain dominant in the city. If the Nets can manage some on-court success, it could well take a substantial bite out of the Dolans' apple.

Any fan who would relinquish his Knicks fandom for the also-ranniest of New York's also-rans wasn't a fan worth having in the first place. This is just putting hipster on a pig. For the Nets to couch themselves in Brooklyn b.s. as if they predate the amalgamation of the city is actually kind of galling.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wasn't really thinking of the Knicks losing fans so much as not gaining new ones. They're at something of an ebb in terms of their popularity as far as I can figure, holding on to the die-hards but not drawing much interest from either casual basketball fans or newcomers to the city. I was speaking more in terms of growing the base of basketball fans.

Galling, though? You've got me stumped there.

Archived