Minnesota North Stars Concept

speedy

So here's a little back story, I was never a fan of the Wild's 14 different jerseys so I set out to make a more streamlined look. I started off with this and was pretty satisfied, despite the more that I look at it the more it reminds me of the Hawks. Oh well, anyways I noticed the star on the word mark and I thought to myself, why not build a North Stars concept around this?

As you can see here, this is where I stared. I modified the script to include an arrow under the star and developed a new N-Star logo based around the M from the Minnesota script. Unfortunately, with the black added it looked far too much like the Dallas Stars, which is something I wanted to avoid. I'm aware that the North Stars identity is gone for good, this is purely a "what if." So since the black was a bit overwhelming, I took the North Stars back to their roots with their original color scheme, as you can see here.

Now on to the uniforms. I know the away is going to be a bit controversial due to a script and number on the front. I tried to give it a tie in to the College, High School, and Junior hockey culture in Minnesota; a nod to their roots if you will. The number font is very Texas Rangers-esque but modified to cohesively exist with the crest.

NorthStars_Away_Jersey.png

With the home uniform, the crest returns since they're in Minnesota it's kind of redundant to wear it on their chest. It's nearly identical to the road jersey, just with the back, chest, and yoke colored in to fit the sleeves.

NorthStars_Home_Jersey.png

Also, to go with the vibe I was trying to create, the breezers use the players number in place of the more traditional logo. The breezers yellow stripe at the knee is to set it apart from the socks as without it they'd blend together and you'd have a Cooperall look.

Thoughts? C&C always appreciated.

So here's a little back story, I was never a fan of the Wild's 14 different jerseys so I set out to make a more streamlined look. I started off with this and was pretty satisfied, despite the more that I look at it the more it reminds me of the Hawks. Oh well, anyways I noticed the star on the word mark and I thought to myself, why not build a North Stars concept around this?

As you can see here, this is where I stared. I modified the script to include an arrow under the star and developed a new N-Star logo based around the M from the Minnesota script. Unfortunately, with the black added it looked far too much like the Dallas Stars, which is something I wanted to avoid. I'm aware that the North Stars identity is gone for good, this is purely a "what if." So since the black was a bit overwhelming, I took the North Stars back to their roots with their original color scheme, as you can see here.

Now on to the uniforms. I know the away is going to be a bit controversial due to a script and number on the front. I tried to give it a tie in to the College, High School, and Junior hockey culture in Minnesota; a nod to their roots if you will. The number font is very Texas Rangers-esque but modified to cohesively exist with the crest.

NorthStars_Away_Jersey.png

With the home uniform, the crest returns since they're in Minnesota it's kind of redundant to wear it on their chest. It's nearly identical to the road jersey, just with the back, chest, and yoke colored in to fit the sleeves.

NorthStars_Home_Jersey.png

Also, to go with the vibe I was trying to create, the breezers use the players number in place of the more traditional logo. The breezers yellow stripe at the knee is to set it apart from the socks as without it they'd blend together and you'd have a Cooperall look.

Thoughts? C&C always appreciated.

Those look extremely nice. I still prefer block-style numbers and the traditional N. I just better watch what I say because I got terribly flamed for suggesting that the Wild bring back the North Stars and the Dallas Stars going less generic with their name by changing to the "Lone Stars". Baseball does have both the Red Sox and White Sox after all.

I would like to make another suggestion. Could you design a "Minnesota Moose" concept using the Manitoba Moose's last logo on the Wild's original uniform set? The Moose did originate in Minnesota just before the NHL's return. Moose, I feel would make a great alternative to North Stars 2.0 and it beats the hell out of Wild. I just HATE that Wild name. So vague and so very minor-league sounding.

Overall, great work my friend!

I would like to make another suggestion. Could you design a "Minnesota Moose" concept using the Manitoba Moose's last logo on the Wild's original uniform set? The Moose did originate in Minnesota just before the NHL's return. Moose, I feel would make a great alternative to North Stars 2.0 and it beats the hell out of Wild. I just HATE that Wild name. So vague and so very minor-league sounding.

Overall, great work my friend!

This.

I championed the "Lone Stars" name forever until they decided to be all stupid and just go with Stars. What a waste.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

LOVE IT! I wish the Wild ownership would do whatever it can to get the rights to the North Stars name because that was one of the best names in the history of pro sports.

As for the concept itself... I can't find a single thing that's really "wrong" with it. Perhaps you could try a different front that doesn't look so "western," but I can't say the font you used makes me like it any less.

Very nice indeed. I would worry about the all-green look having too much green, same as I do about the Carolina Hurricanes' current all-red set, but I think you've done enough to break it up with the high-contrast yellow. I don't mind the script/number fronts as much as some people around here do, and I dig the scripts and numbers with the circus points a lot.

Only nitpick is there's probably no need for the number on the front of the pants. Other than that, though, this is super solid.

I know you don't like the additional black from the original concept, but I think it looks amazing.

Both iterations are fantastic, don't get me wrong. The jersey concepts are top notch.

But I wouldn't mind seeing a tiny tiny amount of black in the jerseys, either. :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I know you don't like the additional black from the original concept, but I think it looks amazing.

Both iterations are fantastic, don't get me wrong. The jersey concepts are top notch.

But I wouldn't mind seeing a tiny tiny amount of black in the jerseys, either. :)

It's not that I don't like it, I actually prefer the black - it gives some contrast. I just didn't want these to be similar to Dallas, as in my fantasy world these two teams would coexist. I'll post the jerseys with the black at some point, they're a completely different design geared more towards the late 80's.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

Gorgeous.

Simply gorgeous.

(**)(**)(**)(**)(*.5)

The only thing I would change is the pants. I think this uniform would come together a little bit better if you used these old North Stars pants, but with the yellow & white inverted so that they match your jerseys:

display_image.jpg

thecatch.jpg

Spectacular concept! I saw this is someone who is not a fan of mismatched jerseys. The Minnesota script works very well for the North Stars and the modified N on the Green looks great. You should expand on this... maybe do a Dallas Stars concept as a counterpoint.

I like this a lot as a rebrand for the Wild. (Of course, as an actual concept to replace the Wild in the current NHL, with the Dallas Stars still remaining, this couldn't really work.)

But the overall theme, logos, colors and uniforms are quite nice. My only suggestion for changes would be to lose the full-sleeve green on the away uniform, and to keep that awesome N logo on both jerseys.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Gorgeous.

Simply gorgeous.

(**)(**)(**)(**)(*.5)

The only thing I would change is the pants. I think this uniform would come together a little bit better if you used these old North Stars pants, but with the yellow & white inverted so that they match your jerseys:

display_image.jpg

Doesn't that image of Dino Ciccarelli in that classic North Stars' uniform just bring a tear to your eye? Man, I tell you, if the Wild ever re-branded themselves as the North Stars 2.0 and that very uniform(no black, thank you!) was back on the ice, Minnesota and NHL fans will be the biggest winners. That's what a hockey uniform should look like. Colourful, but clean and simple.

Gorgeous.

Simply gorgeous.

(**)(**)(**)(**)(*.5)

display_image.jpg

Doesn't that image of Dino Ciccarelli in that classic North Stars' uniform just bring a tear to your eye? Man, I tell you, if the Wild ever re-branded themselves as the North Stars 2.0 and that very uniform(no black, thank you!) was back on the ice, Minnesota and NHL fans will be the biggest winners. That's what a hockey uniform should look like. Colourful, but clean and simple.

I was at a Dallas game back in Nov. Tons of people weaing old North Stars' uniforms. Loved seeing them again! Total classics.

Archived