Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Burns won the Jack Adams three times, the only coach in history to do so. Oh, and he did it with three different teams. And won a Cup with his fourth team.

OK, I was just going through Burns' career. Could someone explain the process that lead Burns to leave a Division-winnning Canadiens team for the Leafs right before Montreal won the cup? Did the Leafs outbid them? Did he ragequit after multiple losses to Boston? Was he fired? Was he fired for not being French enough? (Hoping its the last one because it would be such a "Canadien" thing to do to fire a guy and replace him with a functionally illiterate Frenchman because he's a Frenchman.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not a clothespin big and strong enough to hold my nose if the Blackhawks sign that whiny jerkass. As with Rick Nash, I'm not trusting of anyone who's that complacent to coast through a bad situation for so many years. If this Quebec thing ever gets done, I wouldn't be surprised if he just retires to his stupid horse farm (which is to say I think it's stupid that he cares about it so much to the detriment of his career, not that it is a farm for stupid horses). As I've said again and again, the only reason anyone cares about this guy is that he's played for one team, and so this somehow confers a sort of Yzerman/Bourque/Sakic elder statesmanship upon him, even though there's no world in which he's in a level near a level near a level near their level. Subtract that, and he simply becomes unremarkable and old. And a petulant cheapshot artist. And an obnoxious Christian. Screw him.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shanahan was ever the best player on his team. Sometimes, not even the second best.

So? Jari Kurri was the best player on his team maybe once in his entire career.

Kurri did have the distiction of being the highest scoring Euro when he retired and had some eye popping numbers along the way. Kurri had 6 100 point seasons to Shanahan's 1. Kurri had 2 50 + goal season 1 60+ goal season and 1 70+ goal season. Shanahan hit 50 twice. Kurri also lead the league in goal in the regular season once and in the playoffs 4 times, Shanahan did neither. Kurri has 6 10+ goal playoffs, Shanahan never did.

Both Shanahan and Kurri are all time greats. Shanahan will be a Hall of Famer (very likely next year) he just isn't a 1st balloter.

What I meant by that was that not being the best player on your team shouldn't count for anything, because someone as great as Kurri wasn't the best on his team. Does that mean he shouldn't be in the Hall? Of course not. You have to look at the raw stats, as you just posted. Saying Shanahan shouldn't go in because he was never the best on his team is a very poor argument, which I explained using the Kurri example.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I have to say I love the fact that the Pro Hockey HOF has a shorter waiting period for retired players than football, baseball, or hockey do.

The fact that I can vividly recall the likes of Sundin and Sakic from even their later years, and they're now in the HOF, is something I appreciate a ton. Those two just retired in 2009!

OK, I was just going through Burns' career. Could someone explain the process that lead Burns to leave a Division-winnning Canadiens team for the Leafs right before Montreal won the cup? Did the Leafs outbid them? Did he ragequit after multiple losses to Boston? Was he fired? Was he fired for not being French enough? (Hoping its the last one because it would be such a "Canadien" thing to do to fire a guy and replace him with a functionally illiterate Frenchman because he's a Frenchman.)

This has little do with the above post, but I have to say I find it impressive that the Canadiens and Bruins met in the playoffs for nine straight years between 1984-1992. I know that they were Adams Division foes and the old playoff structure of the time was divisional matchups in the first two rounds, but still. Something you will never see in today's NHL - the closest we'll get is probably when Dallas and Edmonton met almost every year in the late 90s-early 00s.

spacer.png

There's not a clothespin big and strong enough to hold my nose if the Blackhawks sign that whiny jerkass. As with Rick Nash, I'm not trusting of anyone who's that complacent to coast through a bad situation for so many years. If this Quebec thing ever gets done, I wouldn't be surprised if he just retires to his stupid horse farm (which is to say I think it's stupid that he cares about it so much to the detriment of his career, not that it is a farm for stupid horses). As I've said again and again, the only reason anyone cares about this guy is that he's played for one team, and so this somehow confers a sort of Yzerman/Bourque/Sakic elder statesmanship upon him, even though there's no world in which he's in a level near a level near a level near their level. Subtract that, and he simply becomes unremarkable and old. And a petulant cheapshot artist. And an obnoxious Christian. Screw him.

Kid,I like your moxie.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

According to Steve Simmons, Schultz is so good that Burke asked for him instead of Gardiner in the Beauchemin trade, but Murray said no.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Golden Boy has narrowed his list of teams.

Edmonton, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver.

Ottawa is an interesting one, it'd be cool to see him there. But, I'd also laugh if he doesn't work out at all.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I think he ends up in Edmonton. Chance to be Top 4 guy, which he wouldn't be in New York or Vancouver, at least for the mean time. Oilers can sell him on we're young, and we'll be kicking ass soon, so come join us.

According to Steve Simmons, Schultz is so good that Burke asked for him instead of Gardiner in the Beauchemin trade, but Murray said no.

And now Schultz won't sign with Anaheim. So the Leafs will likely end up with both anyway.

Double :censored: you Bob Murray... Awful GM and continued Brian Burke lapdog...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Let's see, he won 16 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. Won a Maple Leafed trophy for the best player in the playoffs, won a Cup trophy... and is only 26. Okay. It's kind of like that Vincent Lecavalier guy was another Alexandre Daigle. You obviously don't know anything about hockey. You need to go back to hockey 101, and actually pass the exam before you post again.

I just think signing a Goalie to a long term deal is not a smart move, but the Kings are playing with house money, they have their man and he's a winner. Good for him!

Archived