Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

I'm interested to see just what, if any, the blackhawks can get for Hjalmarsson.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you sell low on Hjalmarsson when you're already weak at his position? Might as well ride it out and see if he bounces back, unless you're privy to some reserve of defensive defensemen that I'm not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jesse Rogers implied they're going to throw everything at Suter and try to ween Hammer's salary off onto somebody else's coffers. But that could mean absolutely nothing, obviously.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

How are you feeling about stay-at-home defensemen? Seems like the Pens are still kind of weak in that department. Wish the Hawks could help you there but we've got it just as bad if not worse. Seabrook and that's it, really.

They might not be so weak in that area had they signed a stay at home defenseman a few years ago named Rob Scuderi. I guess they underestimated his value and the value of stay at home defensemen as each playoff year they keep looking worse and worse. You can have all the Kris Letang's in the world, but if you don't have those rock-solid stay at home defensemen, you're suspect and will be burned in the playoffs.

Scott Howson has apparently turned Ryan Murray into the anti-Ricky Williams.

I wonder if this is what it was like following hockey in the early seventies, when you had the likes of the Seals and Scouts constantly running into garden rakes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wonder if this is what it was like following hockey in the early seventies, when you had the likes of the Seals and Scouts constantly running into garden rakes.

Oh don't show this to me. Craig Patrick was sitting right there, he didn't think it was worth it? Is Ryan Murray 7 picks better than whoever the Islanders took at #4? He'd better be for Scott Howson's sake, though, getting fired from the Blue Jackets appears to be an incredibly difficult task.

That would've made up for the picks they traded for Bobrovsky and more draft picks always means more trade leverage. I would've pulled the trigger.

*smashes nearest lamp*

PvO6ZWJ.png

How are you feeling about stay-at-home defensemen? Seems like the Pens are still kind of weak in that department. Wish the Hawks could help you there but we've got it just as bad if not worse. Seabrook and that's it, really.

We need them. I've missed Scuderi and Gill ever since they left, and don't feel like enough people around here realize how pivotal they were to the Pens' cup run in '09. I hear one of the guys they got is like a young Scuds, so that's promising. But yes, the pens' biggest hole now, I'd say, is the lack of one or two purely shut-down defensemen, especially a big guy to keep the crease clear. Fleury will play better if he doesn't have someone's ass two feet from his face or some garbage picker lurking to the side of the net all night.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

As an Islanders fan I am so glad Scott Howson is a complete :censored: ing imbecile.

Unfortunately as this proves Garth Snow is also a :censored: ing imbecile; oh well.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Well the Jets worked out a new deal with Pavelec, and qualified Evander Kane, I'm sure they'll get a deal done with him before the season begins.

Rumours are funny!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Even if they don't, they've guaranteed themselves compensation. It was never a matter of them not qualifying him.

Man, I can't figure out who's the bigger idiot in the Garth Snow/Scott Howson affair. How is Scott Howson still employed, anyway? My suspicions that the Columbus Blue Jackets are operated at the very tippity-top by a drinking bird are inching toward confirmation.

*extends Vinny Prospal's expiring contract in utterly lost season*

"Look, he's coming back for more!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As an Islanders fan I am so glad Scott Howson is a complete :censored: ing imbecile.

Unfortunately as this proves Garth Snow is also a :censored: ing imbecile; oh well.

Had the deal been agreed to, Scott Howson would still :censored: up the draft selections for Columbus.

Well the Jets worked out a new deal with Pavelec, and qualified Evander Kane, I'm sure they'll get a deal done with him before the season begins.

Rumours are funny!

5 years, 19.5M for Pavelec. That's a pretty sweetheart deal, really. Considering he could either shut a team out or give up 7 a night, I figure at least $6M of that is for his pure entertainment value.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rumours are funny!

5 years, 19.5M for Pavelec. That's a pretty sweetheart deal, really. Considering he could either shut a team out or give up 7 a night, I figure at least $6M of that is for his pure entertainment value.

Don't forget those games where Pavelec just feels like falling asleep on the ice!

Had the deal been agreed to, Scott Howson would still :censored: up the draft selections for Columbus.

There's this weird nature v. nurture style debate going on amongst Blue Jackets fans in that nobody can decide whether their problems are that they can't draft the right players or that they can't develop players properly.

My answer is that I think it's more of an organizational issue and they top-to-bottom don't know how to develop talent. Other teams take turds in the 6th round and turn them into productive NHLers, the Blue Jackets take can't miss prospects in the first round and turn them into turds. Of course, there are glaring draft mistakes, such as Doug Maclean taking Gilbert Brule ahead of Anze Kopitar so it's probably accurate to say that they're pretty inept at both. They did just fire 4 scouts after the draft so maybe that's a step in the right direction.

PvO6ZWJ.png

We need them. I've missed Scuderi and Gill ever since they left, and don't feel like enough people around here realize how pivotal they were to the Pens' cup run in '09. I hear one of the guys they got is like a young Scuds, so that's promising. But yes, the pens' biggest hole now, I'd say, is the lack of one or two purely shut-down defensemen, especially a big guy to keep the crease clear. Fleury will play better if he doesn't have someone's ass two feet from his face or some garbage picker lurking to the side of the net all night.

You look at what Dean Lombardi did as far as making key moves, the first one was to trade Lubo Visnovsky (a mobile defenseman) for Jarred Stoll and Matt Greene a stay at home defenseman to change the culture. His first two free agent signings after the Stoll Greene trade, were Scuds and Willie Mitchell who was the Kings best player the whole year. If it wasn't for Greene, Scuds, and Mitchell, Jonathan Quick is an average goaltender. Stay at home defensemen allow the goaltender to do his job.

Honestly though the CBJ highly touted Murray and stuck with him, and I'm okay with that. The Bob trade could potentially work out, so I don't mind them trading away picks in a weak draft. Besides, it's not like they could even sign 15 prospect anyways. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this is totally moronic. We have what should be an NHL ready defenseman, we got two of the top goalie prospects we desperately needed, and who knows what could happen with the others.

Also, part of the problem with the CBJ prospects i think is their complete lack of interest in the franchise. I'll never forget when I was a seat filler at the 07 draft how every prospect would just trash Columbus as a city and a franchise.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Honestly though the CBJ highly touted Murray and stuck with him, and I'm okay with that. The Bob trade could potentially work out, so I don't mind them trading away picks in a weak draft. Besides, it's not like they could even sign 15 prospect anyways. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think this is totally moronic. We have what should be an NHL ready defenseman, we got two of the top goalie prospects we desperately needed, and who knows what could happen with the others.

They would've gotten their goalie prospects anyway because the only pick they gave up was #2. The draft would've unfolded for them in the exact same way except they would've had more picks. More picks means more prospects and more prospects means more ability to make trades in the future. Also we don't know if Ryan Murray will be better than Griffin Reinhart (the D the Isles took at 4). Now that this is our reality, I will pull for Ryan Murray as hard as I can, but I would've taken that offer in a New York minute.

Also, part of the problem with the CBJ prospects i think is their complete lack of interest in the franchise. I'll never forget when I was a seat filler at the 07 draft how every prospect would just trash Columbus as a city and a franchise.

You're overvaluing the opinions of 18 year olds. Teenagers are, by nature, superficial and shallow. Would you want to go to a team that had (at that point) never made the playoffs and had no history? You'd want to play for a team with some prestige and a history of winning regularly and winning recently (kids have a short memory). As for the city, if you had a choice, would you as an 18 year old want to live in Columbus when you could live in LA, San Jose, Miami, Toronto, Chicago, New York instead? Old vets with families like Columbus because the suburbs are nice and the schools are good and nobody bothers them, but teenagers want to be the next Biznasty and chase tail in places like Scottsdale.

Once the prospects get to Columbus, though, the team needs to instill some pride in the team and some respect for the city and franchise. I think you're right in that some of them get here feeling sorry for themselves and play out their string in Columbus until they get shipped somewhere else. The organization needs a complete attitude overhaul and I think you start with the guy making decisions (Scott Howson) and the player at the top (Rick Nash).

PvO6ZWJ.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived