MLB Tweaks and "Concepts"

McCall

For the Padres, it's another small change. Mainly, I added the metallic sand trim around everything so it's not plain navy and white. I also tweaked the piping to better match the old PCL version these were modeled after. Instead of just having it around the neck, I had it go around the neck and come down the edge of the jersey, much like the recent throwbacks the Red Sox wore against the A's. I just figured it'd be a little more noticeable. As is, the current one gets lost against the undershirt and appears as regular piping. Only on the navy jerseys, where the white can be seen easier, is it really shown how it is. I also made the Swinging Friar (Friar only, no circle and team name) the sleeve patch on all jerseys as well. And I reverted back to the previous number font, though I have no problem, necessarily, with the varsity block numbers they're currently using. Anyway, here ya go.

SDPadresPrimaryA.png

SDPadresAlternateMarksA.png

I also did a brown and gold version, as I would like to see them return to. I'm working on a new script and maybe San Diego wordmark and SD, so for now this is just a recolor of my above changes to show how I mostly envision it to be.

SDPadresPrimaryB.png

SDPadresAlternateMarksB.png

PS, had trouble finding a good sized silhoutte of skylines for Cleveland or San Diego and was losing patience, coupled with being really sick this week, so that's the reason for the plain border.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indians look good. On San Diego, you really perfected their current look as much as you could. The inconsistency of the sand outlines throughout the uniform set really bugged me. You corrected that as well as making the neck piping more noticable. When I do concepts, I always like to make sure that piping on the edge of the uniforms (either sleeve, neck) do not match the undershirt. The Blue Jays currently do that and I can't help but notice everytime. The brown and gold set is just beautiful. It's such a shame to see a wasted opportunity like that. Padres really messed up big time.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The second set hurts my eyes.

I can't understand what is everyone's problem with the color brown. I would like someone to give me one good reason why the Padres wouldn't look good in brown without using the word "poo" or any variation of that word.

The second set hurts my eyes.

I can't understand what is everyone's problem with the color brown. I would like someone to give me one good reason why the Padres wouldn't look good in brown without using the word "poo" or any variation of that word.

I don't understand the problem either. When executed well, brown can look great on a sports uniform.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• 2 months later...

Been a couple months, I've been busy, but I'm adding the Pittsburgh Pirates to the collection. Not much going on here as far as changes go. The home and road remain the same except for the sleeve patch. For it, I changed the red bandana to yellow with black dots, so it actually fits with everything. I made a second option with a black bandana with yellow dots, as well. I used the yellow one for the uniform concepts for now. The alternate uniforms also changed. I made the black one match the home uniform, but eliminated all the white outlines so that it's just yellow on black, matching the primary cap and thus removing the most pointless alt cap in MLB. I made a second yellow one to be used for maybe a home day game once a week or something. I made it have the P on the left chest, but raised the numbers to be even with the P. Also, all lettering black without outlines.

Anyway, here it is.

PittsburghPiratesPrimary.png

PittsburghPiratesAlternate.png

PittsburghPiratesMarks.png

Go ahead.

I love the update to the logo. The yellow bats really make the patch pop more on the uniforms than they do now with the bats being white. I love the alternate jerseys, especially the black jersey. Just plain yellow lettering on a black jersey. Simple, classic, yet bold. It's a great example of simplicity being better than unnecessary outlines. The primary uniforms are just meh for me. However, that's just a matter of personal opinion, not an attack on your well-rendered versions of them. For me, the Pirates are synonymous with vests as they are one of the few MLB teams who can pull of the look full time. However, your primary jerseys are an improvement because of the patch. Overall, I give this set a solid 9/10.

EDIT: Option 1 is miles ahead of option 2. I'd stick with that.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I agree, the Pirates should be a vest team, but not with the way they make them now, with the huge armholes that look like they simply took a pair of scissors to a regular jersey. And unless they return to the original fit from back in the day, the sleeved jersey is the superior look.

Wow, I didn't notice until now how different the Pirates' road script is from their home script. The P needs to be bigger and the whole thing needs to be squashed a bit horizontally and thickened.

Pittsburgh's a longer word. You squish it down, it's gonna look awkward and leave too much space above and below. They'd look very much like the Giants' 90's roads, although more awkward because they have a number on the front..

I like this concept, although here's a suggestion to pull off "team name at home, city name on the road" a bit better.

Why not make the yellow jersey (home only alt) say pirates across the front in black outlines in white, while the black jersey (intended for use both at home and on the road) would have a P on it. Just a thought.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I like this concept, although here's a suggestion to pull off "team name at home, city name on the road" a bit better.

Why not make the yellow jersey (home only alt) say pirates across the front in black outlines in white, while the black jersey (intended for use both at home and on the road) would have a P on it. Just a thought.

Because I think overall, the "Pirates" mark is better and would be the more preferred one used on the more commonly worn of the two alts, aswear the gold jersey would be worn less and only at home (at least, predominantly), so put the lesser of the two layouts on it, which still works, nonetheless, as it features their near-iconic cap logo and initial for both the locale and team name. It's about putting the "better" of the two layouts on the jersey that's gonna be seen more often, at least as far as the alts go.

Gonna go ahead and throw in my Cardinals. Only change is St. Louis to the roads, the typical change that most make. However, I fixed the script with it, which if you look at how it is, is a little sloppy. Other than that, everything's really just the same.

STLCardinals_Primary.png

STLCardinals_Marks.png

Honestly, I'd still like to tweak the St. Louis script just a bit more, but it's close enough for now.

So say what you will.

Nothing wrong with your concept, I think that St. Louis script looks good. However, I've always been an advocate for dropping the navy cap. Obviously, you're a Cardinals fan and I can see you not wanting to alter the brand too much, but the red cap is good enough for me, and I really think that navy cap has very little basis in their brand. The logo has no navy, the home set including the cap has no navy, so why introduce an overused color to the brand for no apparent reason? Please excuse my rambling, your concept looks great, just thought the deletion of the navy cap would be a slight improvement.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Nothing wrong with your concept, I think that St. Louis script looks good. However, I've always been an advocate for dropping the navy cap. Obviously, you're a Cardinals fan and I can see you not wanting to alter the brand too much, but the red cap is good enough for me, and I really think that navy cap has very little basis in their brand. The logo has no navy, the home set including the cap has no navy, so why introduce an overused color to the brand for no apparent reason? Please excuse my rambling, your concept looks great, just thought the deletion of the navy cap would be a slight improvement.

The navy cap actually has a longer history with the club than the red and now having used it as the road cap for 21 seasons, it's not going anywhere, and I, and I'm sure most Cardinals fans as well, are fine with that. Plus, it differentiates them from the Reds, Phillies, Angels and somewhat D-Backs (they use brick red) on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

So with all the talk in the MLB Changes thread, I decided to make the Reds concept as a hybrid of the 80's/90's throwbacks and the current ones, mostly the latter, that we were all discussing. Really all I did was apply the lettering/numbers of the old ones on the uniform template of the current roads. I left Mr. RedLegs on the sleeve of the home and alternate, however I'm including a version of him in just red and white and I'll let people decide for themselves which they prefer. Fairly simple, so that's really all the explantion needed. Here ya go:

CincinnatiRedsPrimary_1.png

CincinnatiRedsAlternate_1.png

CincinnatiRedsPrimary_2.png

CincinnatiRedsAlternate_2.png

(Sorry if the block font isn't perfect. Just kind of guessed.)

Let 'er rip.

Archived