MLB Tweaks and "Concepts"

McCall

Up next, the Marlins. Most either love it or hate it or are in between. I'm in between, I guess. I hated the logo at first but it grew on me. Their identity as a whole has potential, but they just made some "minor" errors that easily could've gone the correct way, but didn't. Combined they brought everything down just a bit. So I corrected what I thought needed to be fixed. Firstly, I made all the letters in the wordmarks go together. I have actually been working on this for a couple months because I just couldn't figure out how to do some letters, mainly the A in both wordmarks. The R and S in Marlins were tricky, but I just went with something because I didn't want to waste too much more time. But the A was definitely the most fustrating (couldn't figure out how to do the yellow). I also did a small change that might not be noticeable in that on the wordmarks with white letters (unlike the black ones on the home whites and road grays), I made the immediate outline around the multi-colors black to help them pop a little more, as they do on the black caps and jerseys. I also translated this to all caps (on the current black caps, it's silver outlining the multi-colors). I also made the piping on the road uniforms orange, which is not something I had intended, in fact, was against. But I think it allows for better mixing and matching and with it being the Marlins, being kind of out there just seems to work. It also allowed me to make the piping on the black jersey orange and thus ditching the second white pants with black piping. I added a blue jersey/cap combo and the piping on the orange jersey was also changed to blue, and the piping on the blue jersey orange. All 3 alts can be worn at home or road. I know some have clamored for a yellow alt, but I think 5 jerseys is like the unwritten maximum number of jerseys within one identity, with throwbacks being an exception.

Anyway, I'll shutup now. Here we go.

MiamiMarlinsPrimary1.png

MiamiMarlinsAlternates1-1.png

MiamiMarlinsAlternateMarks1.png

MiamiMarlinsWordmarks1.png

Again, for those who don't like their new identity, I was simply trying tweak what they have, to try and make it better.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like everything except for the blue cap and jersey, which is kind of overkill, and the number font, which is worse than the one they have now. But overall, it's a solid tweak that fixes some of the flaws of their current uniform set. One suggestion I'd make is to make the orange cap/home whites/orange socks the primary home combo and ditch the black cap/home whites/black socks combo entirely.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Quick notation on the numbers; those aren't actual drop shadows, more inner shadows. They're actuall on top of the number itself. I originally just had a couple outlines, but it looked so drab and dull compared to the wordmarks on the front. So I took the effect closer to the one used on the front, and applied it in a simpler form for the numbers. It allowed me to have the black as then silver outline to kind of tie it to the front, while a bit of color to it as well without going overboard. I thought about using same multi-color as the front, but thought it would be too much.

I don't like the monochrome alts I rack on it would look better is the orange jersey had the blue cap, the black with the orange and the blue with the black cap but the rest of it looks good

Sorry but just about any "monochrome" alt looks better than some mixed ones. Black cap over orange, fine. Looks good. But not every combo is gonna look as good as matching cap/jersey ones. And that goes for just about any identity, not just mine here.

Nice upgrade to the Marlins new look, but a few things I would change:

Like LightsOut said, scrap the blue

Make the name on the orange jersey white. On every other jersey the name matches the number color

Use a different logo on the sleeve or get rid of it all together. Having the same logo on the jersey twice and on the hat is too much

I fixed the NOB on the orange jersey. It was supposed to be white like the others, but I guess I forgot to change it. I'm also showing some other combos here, just for fun. I'm reiterating the orange accesories with the whites, as well as with the roads. I show the orange and black jerseys with reversed pants (orange with grays and black with white), and same with the blue with the gray, as well as the blue cap/accesories with the home whites. Not sure it looks very good, but it's the Marlins. Oddity just seems to go with them.

MiamiMarlinsPrimaryOrange.png

MiamiMarlinsAlternatesReversed.png

MiamiMarlinsAlternateBlue.png

The blue cap/accesories is beautiful with the home whites, looks awesome. I'd keep that. It's my opinion that blue should've been the secondary color and not orange, so to see it used more prominently here is great. It just looks more "Marlins" to me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I think this is a major improvement over Miami's current set. Having Marlins on the home chest is so much better. I have no complaints about the numbers or their shadowing. Some quibbles:

1. Really dislike the blue. I think it should be removed.

2. The white NOB looks better than the black NOB on the orange alternate.

3. There only should be a black belt, regardless of what color combination is being worn.

4. The sleeve logo is really unnecessary. It appears three times (hat, script, sleeve). It would be real clean with no sleeve logo at all.

I love your Rockies set too but would have liked to see the pinstripes remain.

Well next up, I'm heading to the northside, in honor of the Cubs-Cardinals game I'm watching on ESPN right now... in St. Louis... Ok it was pure conincedence, but I digress. For the Cubs concept, the main changes are to the roads and alts, with the only change on the home being the sleeve patch, which was reverted back to the 90's update cubhead logo which features on all three jerseys. The roads are an updated "underlined" Chicago wordmark. However, unlike the past "stretched" font with the underline, I made it match up with the C on the cap. I also added blue/red/blue piping to kind of tie back to some past roads. I originally left it plain gray like the currents, but added the piping reluctantly. That is very much an "up in the air" feature that may be changed. The blue alt is basically just the Cubs logo in place of the walking bear logo. I added red piping to the sleeves to slightly mimic the roads, but would be removed if the piping on the roads were gone. Ok, enough talking.

ChicagoCubsPrimary.png

ChicagoCubsAlternateMarks.png

Say whatcha want.

Ok, up next is the Giants. Not major changes, but a return to "appropriateness" for them on the road. The only change to the home uniforms is the sleeve patch, which, honestly, I only did because I didn't feel like recreating their current one. So I just made them the same across all jerseys. I returned the roads to their previous glory and created a black road alt that mimics the road gray they introduced this year and let flood over into the roads. The orange jersey also remains unchanged. I also ditched the sunday cap. Never liked it.

SFGiantsPrimary.png

SFGiantsAlternate.png

SFGiantsMarks.png

Do whatcha gotta do.

I'm wondering if an orange cap on the Giants black alternate would look good or not.

Orange brim? Sure. Orange crown? No.

I've actually seen fashion caps for the Giants with orange crowns and black brims and SF logos, and they look great. That being said, they would never work on the field.

Giants set is pretty solid. I would like to see them drop gold, but it looks fine even with it.

I think you nailed the Cubs.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Cubs: You nailed it man.

Giants: Hate the gold outline. I really wish the Giants would stop that *censored*. It clutters the whole uniform up for no reason. Black and orange are a fine color scheme, especially with cream accents. Other than that, perfecto.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Thought I'd throw in the Indians while I'm finishing up on some others. Not too much. The block wordmarks are now across the board. The block C adorns the home cap, with Wahoo now moved to the sleeves, but remains on the alt cap... or not. I left it there as a nostalgic option. That's about all. Like I said, not much. Just trying to tie everything together.

ClevelandIndiansPrimary1.png

ClevelandIndiansAlternateMarks1.png

There ya go.

Archived