The Gulf Coast Confernce est.2012

B@ltim0r3R@v3n5

And thanks sea dragon for coastal Mississippi's school history

Central Mississippi University was founded in 1876, in the middle of the Reconstuction era. The school was originally call 'Southern Mississippi School for Coloreds' because the state legislature created it as such. Located in what would become Gulfport, the school thrived as a haven for African-Americans that have seeked a far greater goal in what was a Southern town that still clung to it's old ways.

On the school's 30th anniversary of it's founding in 1906, the school changed it's name to Coastal Mississippi College and, for the first time, allowed Caucasians into the campus. The higher ups at the time were not happy with the decision to allow Caucasians, but the decision would prove to be a wise one.

As the school grew in 1976, it's 100th anniversary, it changed it's name once again. This time it was Coastal Mississippi University and for the first time, introduced football to it's sport programs. The football team has been the class of the GCC, winning at least a share in 6 of the last 8 seasons.

School Nickname: Tribe

One of the schools that have the OK from the NCAA to use a Native American based nickname, Coastal Mississippi is proud of it's Tribe nickname. It has the approval of the Choctaw and Tunica tribesmen who still live in the area today. The name was introduced in 1976 to replace the old nickname of 'Blue Wave'.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The University of Alabama at Mobile exists! Most people call it the University of Southern Alabama though. I used google and made sure there were no real universities named, "Mobile Tech" "Alabama at Mobile A&M" (I can see a cool logo there of AMAM)

so i was board yesterday and started looking at the mac project and brave bird's uniforms and that got me wanting to do a confernce for myself. As i was contemplating which confernce would be the most fun, i happened upon the sunbelt confernce. The sunbelt confernce is really just up against the gulf coast so i thought why not just make a new confernce? so with out further ado i shall unviel the confernce logo

gcc.png

(image clean up by HarperK)

link to hand drawn image: http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u400/rgiltner2/59396065.jpg

the Gulf coast confernce is home to 15 differnt schools and hosts 25 differnt sports ranging from football to wreslting.

West division

San Antonio College coyotes

Corpus Christi University

UT Galveston

Mustang Island University

New Orleans College

Baton Rouge University Jazz

Coastal Mississippi University tribe

East Divison

Mississippi A&M

South Eastern State

University of Mobile Alabamas

Pensecola State

University of Orlando Floridians

Stienbrenner University

St. Petersburgh College

Gulf coast region best place in the U.S., pecan pie Southern style iced tea mmmmmm (bow)

Not a problem, man.

Now, for the other schools that have been revealed:

San Antonio College

Founded in 1919, San Antonio College has earned the respect of colleges throughout Texas because of it's open minded attitude towards education. The school experienced some very high times during the 40's and 50's, when the football team won 4 GCFL (Gulf Coast Football League, the predecessor of the current GCC) titles and won the Cotton Bowl against the University of Oklahoma.

But, during the late 60's and early 70's, a scandal broke out involving the school's chancellor. It seemed that he was busted for bringing in hookers during after hours and not only having sex with them, but all parties were involved in heavy drug usage. The incident shocked the San Antonio community and the nation as the core of the school was rattled by this.

Today, the scars of the 'Heyden Fiasco', as it was known, have faded away. The school has grown larger and sees itself now as a gateway to the city and for it's Hispanic community.

Nickname: Coyotes

The nickname came about during a student vote in 1955. Back then, San Antonio College had no official nickname, but it's sports teams went by the name of 'Defenders' after the battle of the Alamo. The students had a choice between 'Defenders', 'Coyotes' or 'Blackhawks' for the nickname and 'Coyotes' won by a near 3-to-1 margin over 'Defenders'.

University of Orlando

The youngest school to compete in the GCC, The University of Orlando was founded in 1980. The school was known as 'Orlando College' when it was founded and there wasn't much to it at the beginning. The first ever graduating class at Orlando College was only 16 students, but the kids that went there got a high quality education in the heart of downtown Orlando.

In 2006, the school became the 'University of Orlando' and became the first member of the GCC to offer classes online, something that nearly all schools do now (the lone exception is Coastal Mississippi). They also broke ground on a new basketball arena that would not only be home to the basketball team, but was also large enough (20,000 seats) to become the new home of the Arena League's Orlando Predators. UO Arena, as it's called, has been considered to be the crown jewel of all the arenas in the GCC.

Just this past year, the school started on renovation work on the Citrus Bowl, which has been the home of the football program. As it continues to grow, the University of Orlando continues to strive for better things.

Nickname: Floridans (Official)/Orange (Informal)

While the school's official nickname is 'Floridans', fans of the school have come to call them the 'Orange', after it's world famous mascot 'Tropi', who was based on another orange mascot: Syracuse's Otto the Orange

The University of Alabama at Mobile exists! Most people call it the University of Southern Alabama though. I used google and made sure there were no real universities named, "Mobile Tech" "Alabama at Mobile A&M" (I can see a cool logo there of AMAM)

Are you referring to the University of South Alabama? (Also in Mobile. Going to play D1 football in the Sun Belt starting in 2013.)

Vancouver-Road.pngQPR-Home.pngVancouver-Home.pngQPR-Road.png

Are you referring to the University of South Alabama? (Also in Mobile. Going to play D1 football in the Sun Belt starting in 2013.)

Yes, I am

Yes, I am

I don't think USA is in the UofAlabama system. I might be mistaken but the only big schools in it are Birmingham, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa

Mississippi A&M University Colonels (MAM)

OLDFELLA.png hand drawn: mam-1.png

Hattiesburg ,MS

Mississippi A&M Facts:

# of students: 32,648.

studen to teacher ratio: 32:1

# of majors: 55

popular majors: agricultural science, petrolium engineering, vetrenary

Athletics:

Football

Basketball

Baseball

cross country

track and field

rugby

crew(to be added in 2013)

fencing(to be added in 2013)

Bright minds are molded here.

Yes, I am

I don't think USA is in the UofAlabama system. I might be mistaken but the only big schools in it are Birmingham, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa

^ He speaks the truth.

Vancouver-Road.pngQPR-Home.pngVancouver-Home.pngQPR-Road.png

Here is the history for Mississippi A&M by philsfan

After the Mississippi A&M Aggies were renamed the Mississippi State Bulldogs in 1932, the state of Mississippi was left without a school of agriculture and mechanics, so in 1940, Mississippi A&M was founded in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

The Mississippi A&M Colonels were never a powerhouse in football winning only 2 GCFL titles over 70 years. Mostly, the football program has been one of the worst teams in the East Division. Their rival, The University of Mobile often jokes that the "colonel should be fired." And Mississippi A&M has listened, firing 45 coaches in 70 years.

But, in 2012, there is a new colonel in town. Mississippi A&M gained national attention when hometown hero, Brett Favre, signed a million dollar deal to become the head coach of Mississippi A&M.

Favre has attracted many highly touted high school quarterbacks looking for the mentoring of one of the NFL's greats. The same year, the GCC was formed, so, with a new conference and a famous head coach, maybe the Colonels will finally find success.

Nickname: Colonels

When the school was founded, Mississippi A&M was all white. They wanted to honor their civil war heroes, the colonels and generals of the Confederate army with the naming of the school. As blacks were allowed into the University in 1963, the nickname was deemed racist and insensitive. The battle continues about whether to preserve history or to move past the civil war.

here are the jerseys for University of Orlando

ORLANDO.png

Thanks to harper, the alt jersey is a tribute to Tropi

and here are the jerseys for Moblie University and a new logo for them aswell

mobile-1.png

MOBILE.png

Now here is the next college

University of Corpus Christi Fighting Cod

ucc-1.png

University of Corpus Christi Facts:

# of students: 16,648.

studen to teacher ratio: 12:1

popular majors: Political science, philosophy, Mechanical Engineering

Athletics:

Football

Basketball

Baseball

cross country

track and field

rugby

crew(to be added in 2013)

fencing(to be added in 2013)

Your ship to a new life is calling

• 2 weeks later...

That alternate for U of O is the greatest football uniform I have seen in my life.

Mobile looks good, but I dislike the Georgia Tech Russell template. I really like how you mathced the helmet and pants stripes, it gives the concept good consistency.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

So here is the newest logo

Pensacola state university Panthers

f87ae769.jpg

Pensacola State University Facts:

# of students: 23,898.

studen to teacher ratio: 28:1

popular majors: pre law, dentistry, pre vetranariamn

Athletics:

Football

Basketball