aawagner011's NFL updates

aawagner011

Hey everyone,

I've gone ahead and refreshed the Washington Redskins identity. Part of my design is seen again from a previous redesign of mine that I've slightly tweaked (the primary logo). It's not a drastic departure from the past, but it combines various elements of designs from their history into one cohesive brand. I'd rather not get into the whole "PC argument here", as my brand identity is just that, a redesign purely based on aesthetics.

So the primary logo is a piece you may have seen before. I made it about 9 months ago but have slightly adjusted it (tweaking colors, paths, text, etc- not too different). I did want to get away from the Indian caricature and find something that blended the drum and feather with localized points of inspiration. I've combined a simplistic W (similar to the old Washington Senators hat logo) with a thick double red stripe/star motif from the DC flag. This logo is to be used for primary brand identification and should be the midfield logo.

Something new that didn't exist in my previous design is the updated spear secondary. It combined a refresh of the spear matched with my updated feather. This new logo is found on the helmets. The wordmark is simplistic to recall past Skins' wordmarks. I did not want to get too fancy with this piece so that the brand can focus on the colors and two logos. I felt like those two aspects carried the most weight.

The uniforms are very reminiscent of traditional Redskins sets of the past. The spear helmet recalls past throwbacks. All striping has been simplified to a two stripe (including the helmet). This is to eliminate inconsistencies throughout the uniform and create one identifiable brand stripe pattern. Most of the other alterations are small (elimination of chest wordmark, elimination of white pants, etc). I have never liked the Skins' white pants. I feel that they are a detractor because less of their colors are on display when they wear them. Since Washington typically wears white, I figured the white with burgundy will see most of the use, aside from the occasional gold pants. That leaves only a few games when the burgundy top can be worn and I think it looks the sharpest when matched with the gold pants.

Small changes, but a little refresh of the logo package, as well as a simplification and streamlining of the uniforms. Let me know what you think.

2a2dub.png

s1kdfm.png

dzjx1k.png

1z4v7vb.png

------------------------------------------

More updates to come in subsequent posts. The San Diego Chargers have now been posted:

b7z2bq.png

You've done a couple of TREMENDOUS things here, but it could use some work.

GOOD

Love the logo concepts. Use DC imagery (which is very big here in the city) while keeping gold and the native american theme? A+. Love that. The stars in the logos are a great touch.

Love that you kept the asymmetrical striping pattern. Helmet stripe is a plus.

BAD

Script is really funky. This would be a lot better with a more... serious script.

The sleeves stripes are weird as well. If your going to ignore the Flywire thing, maybe put the stripes there and put the numbers back on the sleeves (with blank shoulders).

The feathers in the logos, especially the primary, are way too short and fat. Long and skinny.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Everything looks good except the spear logo. I think the Part that wraps around needs to be thicker and maybe use the primary on the alt sleeves cause it's too go a logo not to go on the uniform

Thanks. As for the spear logo, I based it off of the team's retro logo they used for their throwbacks. That logo featured a similarly thin piece. I did debate putting the primary logo on the sleeves, though I thought of the Cowboys blue unis and I've never liked the way the logo is mixed amongst the stripes. I preferred the full stripes. Thanks for the comment!

Primary logo is amazing, great job! I think you could use it on the sleeves and it would look great!

Thanks! That makes you the second person to advocate the logo on the sleeves, so perhaps I should look into it, despite my preference not to! B)

I really like this.

Question: is the helmet stripe just gold and white? Or is there a second gold stripe on the other side that we can't see?

The helmet stripe is just the offset gold and white. I guess that makes it slightly similar in nature to the Arizona lids. I wanted to make it consistent with the other uniform stripes and feared that introducing another stripe pattern would throw things off.

You've done a couple of TREMENDOUS things here, but it could use some work.

GOOD

Love the logo concepts. Use DC imagery (which is very big here in the city) while keeping gold and the native american theme? A+. Love that. The stars in the logos are a great touch.

Love that you kept the asymmetrical striping pattern. Helmet stripe is a plus.

BAD

Script is really funky. This would be a lot better with a more... serious script.

The sleeves stripes are weird as well. If your going to ignore the Flywire thing, maybe put the stripes there and put the numbers back on the sleeves (with blank shoulders).

The feathers in the logos, especially the primary, are way too short and fat. Long and skinny.

I appreciate the good words! I'll consider other options for the script. I thought it was a nice way of keeping things simple but also tapping into their current wordmark. Maybe I will just go a completely different direction. Whatever I choose, if I change the script, I will implement the new font into the Washington text in the primary. And what do you mean by "ignoring the Flywire"? It's there, I just chose to go the route of the Texans. As to the feathers, I didn't want them to be too elongated. I look at some logos like the Patriots, which are nice on the helmet, but too widely stretched in one direction as a standalone primary logo, and I think it looks kinda funny. I wanted to have some kind of balance.

Love it!

Thanks man!

Good work! Both logos are very well done, and do a good job of combining the DC and Native American imagery (as already noted). The three stars on the spear are an especially nice touch.

As for the unis, I'm indifferent whether you keep the stripes or add the primary to the sleeves. I think either would look good. My only complaint would be to get rid of the helmet stripes. With the spear filling the sides, I don't think it looks very good, especially in the back I would think.

My only major complaint is the colors. They seem dull and faded. I'd personally like to see a color set more like their recently unveiled throwbacks...a deeper burgundy and richer gold.

My only complaint would be to get rid of the helmet stripes. With the spear filling the sides, I don't think it looks very good, especially in the back I would think.

I agree with ditching the stripe (or perhaps making it more narrow).

Other than that I'm really digging the uniforms. Love the spear on the helmet and the yellow pants. Good calls.

Good work! Both logos are very well done, and do a good job of combining the DC and Native American imagery (as already noted). The three stars on the spear are an especially nice touch.

As for the unis, I'm indifferent whether you keep the stripes or add the primary to the sleeves. I think either would look good. My only complaint would be to get rid of the helmet stripes. With the spear filling the sides, I don't think it looks very good, especially in the back I would think.

My only major complaint is the colors. They seem dull and faded. I'd personally like to see a color set more like their recently unveiled throwbacks...a deeper burgundy and richer gold.

Thanks man! I hear you on the helmet stripes. I can see how it may look awkward with the spear essentially wrapping around most of the lid. I may look into simply eliminating them. As to the colors, I didn't want them to be too bright to look like a McDonald's team, though I wasn't sure how these shades would fare. That's something I try to focus on a good bit, nailing down the colors.

My only complaint would be to get rid of the helmet stripes. With the spear filling the sides, I don't think it looks very good, especially in the back I would think.

I agree with ditching the stripe (or perhaps making it more narrow).

Other than that I'm really digging the uniforms. Love the spear on the helmet and the yellow pants. Good calls.

Thanks for the comment, dude! Like I replied to mbannon, I think I will eliminate the helmet stripes.

Next up: The SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

For the Chargers, I wanted to get down to what I thought were the most important things. I have ALWAYS preferred the powder blue and wanted to eliminate the navy. In that regard, much of this looks like a modernized version of their usual throwback. However, I also wanted to bring the gold/yellow pants back into play. I didn't want to introduce anything like powder blue pants. I thought that would look silly and they have no historical value.

There's a recolored bolt and the outlining has been reduced to one thick outline. A new wordmark is featured that plays into the team name and also features the usual double stripe within. The same number font is used but with reduced outlines. The traditional sleeve insert returns, but this time, with the modern bolt. A slight fade in the sleeve inserts transitions the insert to the main material to eliminate any arbitrary stopping points in the panels. The Flywire collar remains to bring a little splash of white color to the jersey. Bolts on the pants are within a thick stripe, similar to the current model. Helmet numbers return and the throwback gray facemask changes to powder blue.

Let me know what you think!

b7z2bq.png

vured.png

k2jr5c.png

ilf1qp.png

24291l1.png

I really like the Redskins refresh, although I think the burgundy is a bit bright, or maybe its my screen. But maybe try a bit darker burgundy.

I have no complaints about the Chargers; a real nice nod to the past being fused with modern looks. Real classy and sleek.

I really like the Redskins refresh, although I think the burgundy is a bit bright, or maybe its my screen. But maybe try a bit darker burgundy.

I have no complaints about the Chargers; a real nice nod to the past being fused with modern looks. Real classy and sleek.

Thanks for the comment! The burgundy may be slightly off for some people. Looking through some vintage pictures I noticed varying different shades used. So I kinda had to settle on one.

Well done, I LOVE everything you've done with the Chargers. The only thing I don't care for with the Redskins is the Helmet, reminds me too much of FSU. Other than that, phenomenal work!

Thanks man. I know where you're coming from about FSU. Though the Skins used that styling at various points in their history. Washington wore them during the mid to late sixties and then as a throwback in the early 2000s, where as FSU began with the spear in the mid seventies.

------------------

I'd like to get some more comments on the Chargers and Skins before I go on. I am sitting on a few concepts (Falcons pretty much done, and a Seahawks one that has been partly completed for a month or two). Some more comments and then I can get rolling on releasing some more!

Thanks for the comment! The burgundy may be slightly off for some people. Looking through some vintage pictures I noticed varying different shades used. So I kinda had to settle on one.

Well done, I LOVE everything you've done with the Chargers. The only thing I don't care for with the Redskins is the Helmet, reminds me too much of FSU. Other than that, phenomenal work!

Thanks man. I know where you're coming from about FSU. Though the Skins used that styling at various points in their history. Washington wore them during the mid to late sixties and then as a throwback in the early 2000s, where as FSU began with the spear in the mid seventies.

------------------

I'd like to get some more comments on the Chargers and Skins before I go on. I am sitting on a few concepts (Falcons pretty much done, and a Seahawks one that has been partly completed for a month or two). Some more comments and then I can get rolling on releasing some more!

I would say maybe try the Redskins helmet with the W logo, beyond that, not much more I can think of.

One of the biggest issues I have with the Redskins set is you have a primary logo that you dont use ANYWHERE. That's kinda counter intuative. The clue is kinda in the title, a primary logo should be the one you use first and foremost. It should be the logo people immediately associate with the team and right now with your set that's not the case. It's an easy fix right enough just swap the logos over on the slick and job done, but imo you cant call a logo you dont use a primary. The script has some kerning issues which aren't helped by the S's which sit at a jonty angle, it's also really thin. There's a reason most team scripts are in bold or even black weights. It implies strength and stability and right now I'm getting neither from you're version.

Really like the uni's though, I like the champfered ends on the sleeve stripes and think it's a unique and clever way of trying to fit sleeve stripes on ever increasingly uncooperative uniform templates.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

One of the biggest issues I have with the Redskins set is you have a primary logo that you dont use ANYWHERE. That's kinda counter intuative. The clue is kinda in the title, a primary logo should be the one you use first and foremost. It should be the logo people immediately associate with the team and right now with your set that's not the case. It's an easy fix right enough just swap the logos over on the slick and job done, but imo you cant call a logo you dont use a primary. The script has some kerning issues which aren't helped by the S's which sit at a jonty angle, it's also really thin. There's a reason most team scripts are in bold or even black weights. It implies strength and stability and right now I'm getting neither from you're version.

9erssteve

I think it's okay for the primary logo not to be the dominant logo in a uniform when a theme based helmet is being used ala Rams, Vikes or Eagles. I really like the spear on the helmet. That being said it is unusual for a primary logo not to be used at all. The Rams and Eagles use theirs on the sleeve while the vikes is more understated only showing up very small on the back above the name plate and on the pant stripe. I think that approach may work for this theme to appease most.

Archived