2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

The Chiefs have told the NFL they are okay with playing tomorrow's game vs. the Panthers at Arrowhead. So YES, the game WILL be played.

Remember when Brett Favre played the day after his father died? If #4 can suit up and ball like a man one day after that, so can the Chiefs. Play ball.

As sad as both are, a player's dad passing away and your starting LB killing his girlfriend and then offing himself in front of the head coach and GM in the stadium parking lot the day before the game, are 2 completely different scenarios.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to cbsports.com the NFL is saying the Panthers-Chiefs game will be played as scheduled.

Disgusting move from Goodell, as the reports are that the Chiefs' players were begging him to postpone or cancel the game. Of course, Roger only seems to care about $$$$.

Would love to see some of those reports you're talking about. I think they have to play the game. Even if we throw the standard NFL protocol/competitive balance issues out the window, which we should in this terrible tragedy, what does playing the game on Monday night do to give closure to anyone in the organization? The reason anyone would give to cancel tomorrow's game would be to acknowledge the tragedy, but would anyone be calling for a cancellation if Belcher had killed only his girlfriend and not himself?

Cancelling the game would be a result of Belcher's death, and you don't cancel a game to acknowledge the death of a murderer. Period.

True, but the head coach and GM did (at least according to reports) watch said murderer off himself. Killer or not, that's not an easy thing to get over in a day before a football game.

No, it certainly isn't. However, Pioli and Crennel don't need to attend the game. I fully support giving Crennel and Pioli whatever recovery time they deem necessary. However, the organization and league owe it to the fans to play on and give the organization (and the fans) a way to rally back.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

This I saw on another board, but John Clayton mentioned how Arrowhead is a crime scene, and the investigation needs to be complete before people can enter the stadium. This is probably another factor as to whether or not the game gets delayed or not.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

So Gothamite, McCarthy and co. believe mental illness excuses or explains murdering a woman?

Of course not, and nobody has suggested such a thing.

There are at least two tragedies in this situation; a woman has been murdered, and a young girl has had her parents taken away from her. All we're suggesting is that there could be a third one, we don't yet know.

Maybe he's indeed a scumbag who deserves a special place in Hell. Or maybe he was a sick man whose illness and death was itself a tragedy, not one that mitigates or diminishes the other two but deserves recognition of its own. Especially considering what we've already learned about CTE. I can't be the only one who immediately thought of that, can I?

I know the Internet isn't exactly given to introspection, but some of us feel as though we'd like all the facts before proclaiming either one of those to be true.

Goth, had to chuckle at your comment about seizing the high ground. (...)

Any time you'd like to engage me in a rational argument on the merits of a subject, you know exactly where to find me. ;)

The Chiefs have told the NFL they are okay with playing tomorrow's game vs. the Panthers at Arrowhead. So YES, the game WILL be played.

Remember when Brett Favre played the day after his father died? If #4 can suit up and ball like a man one day after that, so can the Chiefs. Play ball.

As sad as both are, a player's dad passing away and your starting LB killing his girlfriend and then offing himself in front of the head coach and GM in the stadium parking lot the day before the game, are 2 completely different scenarios.

Exactly. They're nuts if they play this game. I mean how focused on the game will anyone on the Chiefs be after the head coach, lb coach and gm just watched a well liked star player off himself after killing someone? I mean at this point neither team has a shot in hell of making the playoffs. Just cancel the game and if needed reschedule it for a later date.

As for "owing it to the fans" to play the game... What the :censored: do they owe their fans? It's a game. The fans can find something else to occupy their time on Sunday. Maybe even something constructive to humanity rather than sitting around getting drunk while watching some guys bash each other into the dirt (and future mental illness).

Well, that's just a gigantic false equivalency.

How so?

If players like Brett Favre and Torrey Smith can suit up and play (not to mention have career games) 24 hours after the tragic, unexpected loss of someone close to them -- Why can't members of the Chiefs?

6uXNWAo.png

This I saw on another board, but John Clayton mentioned how Arrowhead is a crime scene, and the investigation needs to be complete before people can enter the stadium. This is probably another factor as to whether or not the game gets delayed or not.

From everything I read as of a couple hours ago, the investigation at Arrowhead's facilities is complete.

Well, that's just a gigantic false equivalency.

How so?

If players like Brett Favre and Torrey Smith can suit up and play (not to mention have career games) 24 hours after the tragic, unexpected loss of someone close to them -- Why can't members of the Chiefs?

Individual's father dying of natural causes

crispinpage.jpg

Team reeling from shock of knowing a teammate killed himself in front of their coach after murdering girlfriend

1305756869-orange.png

The only thing the two have in common is that they both took place on the day before their next game. That being said, the team is playing tomorrow, so that's that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Brett Fave's dad had a heart attack while driving and plowed into a ditch. Hardly natural causes.

Last I checked, having a heart attack is pretty natural. Plowing a vehicle into a ditch subsequently is beside the point, even if it's what ultimately killed him. As I said earlier, the only thing this compares to is Sean Taylor, but even then it doesn't add up that well because of the circumstances.

I'm not trying to get into some other Island_Style pissing contest over semantics. I really don't see what's left to argue over, anyway. The team's "manning up" to play tomorrow. That's the end of it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Brett Fave's dad had a heart attack while driving and plowed into a ditch. Hardly natural causes.

Last I checked, having a heart attack is pretty natural.

I stopped reading after that ridiculous comment.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm not trying to get into some other Island_Style pissing contest over semantics. I really don't see what's left to argue over, anyway. The team's "manning up" to play tomorrow. That's the end of it.

*Sean Payton 1984 Poster goes here*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A heart attack is a textbook example of a natural cause of death.

A heart attack not caused by some outside influence (example: heart attack while doing lines of crack off a hooker) goes under natural causes.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

QwIBc.jpg

Also, why are still talking about this?

twitter

Brett Favre's 58-year old father dying while behind the wheel of his car was "natural". RIGHT. And Grizzly Adams had a beard....

6uXNWAo.png

Brett Favre's 58-year old father dying while behind the wheel of his car was "natural". RIGHT. And Grizzly Adams had a beard....

You can have a heart attack when you're 58. Hell, you can have a fatal heart attack when you're 18 (although that's less likely).

Today, we are all otaku.

Trying...to...resist...

2laq9p4.png

twitter

Archived