2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex had named Mark Sanchez the starter for this weekend's game vs. the Jaguars. What was the freaking point of pulling him against Arizona then?? :censored:.

I wouldn't look for much logic in what the Jets do at this point.

Everything I've heard says he's in simply because he's signed for next year. If that's true then Sanchez starting next week has nothing to do with the Jets trying to win. That's simply management not wanting to admit failure on a player. He's done in New York, the Jets just haven't figured that out yet.

Best case scenario I think Mark Sanchez can be a solid NFL quarterback for another NFL team. He's never going to be that with the Jets and there's a good chance he won't be that with any other NFL team either.

Sanchez is the new Drew Bledsoe. Once he's gone in NY, he'll have a good year with someone like Bledsoe did with the Bills(KC most likely because they'll draft a bust, because the Chiefs are cursed) and then collapse completely.

But Drew Bledsoe was a fine QB who took the Patriots to the Super Bowl one year.

The Jets reached two ACFCG in spite of Sanchez's wretchedness.

spacer.png

Gene Smith (Jags GM) had Sanchez the top player of his draft. That says it all.

Even higher then Stafford? The scary thing is that Sanchez was arguably the second best player out of the top 5 that year. #2 Jason Smith was a bust and got traded, #3 Tyson Jackson isn't that good, and I'm not sure where #4 Aaron Curry is now.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Rex will not be back next year. No way. Woody already seems to have some bitterness to him.

I think starting Sanchez at this point is Rex standing up to Johnson.

Good for him - Johnson is a tool who would rather garner headlines than win games (actually, he'd rather do a lot of things than win games). That's the franchise's biggest problem, which means Jets fans are in for a lot more misery before it gets better.

Rex had named Mark Sanchez the starter for this weekend's game vs. the Jaguars. What was the freaking point of pulling him against Arizona then?? :censored:.

Everything I've heard says he's in simply because he's signed for next year. If that's true then Sanchez starting next week has nothing to do with the Jets trying to win. That's simply management not wanting to admit failure on a player. He's done in New York, the Jets just haven't figured that out yet.

Best case scenario I think Mark Sanchez can be a solid NFL quarterback for another NFL team. He's never going to be that with the Jets and there's a good chance he won't be that with any other NFL team either.

Sanchez is the new Drew Bledsoe. Once he's gone in NY, he'll have a good year with someone like Bledsoe did with the Bills(KC most likely because they'll draft a bust, because the Chiefs are cursed) and then collapse completely.

But Drew Bledsoe was a fine QB who took the Patriots to the Super Bowl one year.

Anyone who thinks Drew Bledsoe was a bad QB for the Patriots either is too young to remember or has the Ricky Bobby theory of defining what makes a great QB, which is if your not the best QB in the NFL or a Super Bowl winning QB you suck. He was one of the best QB's in the game with Patriots and I would say has a decent argument for being in the Hall of Fame. Anyone who doesn't think Bledsoe wasn't one of the games all-time best at QB doesn't know what they are talking about.

As for Sanchez being rated the top QB of his draft, I could buy that. The guy does have a really good arm and plays in a conference that has probably the best track record of any conference for producing great NFL QB's. Warren Moon, John Elway, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, Troy Aikman, Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers. All Pac-10/12 QB's of recent memory. He's also very well spoken and has a pretty good build for a QB. So you combine all of those things, yeah I think its very easy to see why teams would buy into Mark Sanchez.

The biggest downside I heard from scouts believe it or not was that he was from Southern California. And I guarantee you there are alot of people in the NFL that would advise against drafting any QB from Southern California and its pretty easy to why that is fair or unfair. If look at alot of the QB's from Southern California you can make the argument that its been bust city. Matt Leinart, Todd Marinovich, Akili Smith, Dan McGwire, J.P. Losman, Kyle Boller. All QB's that grew up in Southern California, all first round draft picks, all busts.

Just something about growing up there does not give you the mentality to play quarterback in the NFL no matter how much talent you may have. That is the mindset that alot of people in the NFL are under right now and Mark Sanchez has not done anything to help change that. And the biggest criticisms isn't anything talent related Its that he can't handle the day to day criticism that any NFL QB comes under. He makes bad decisions. He's not a good leader. And those are all mental problems.

Gene Smith (Jags GM) had Sanchez the top player of his draft. That says it all.

Even higher then Stafford? The scary thing is that Sanchez was arguably the second best player out of the top 5 that year. #2 Jason Smith was a bust and got traded, #3 Tyson Jackson isn't that good, and I'm not sure where #4 Aaron Curry is now.

Yup, top overall player. He also traded for Gabbert so.........

Goth, you are right. Bad owners makes loser franchises.

Just as an aside, have they been doing the same for Rae Carruth's son?

I don't think the two situations are equivalent, especially If Carruth's son's mother is not also dead.

Carruth's girlfriend went into a coma and died a month later due to the gunshot injuries. The only differences are 1) Carruth hired somone to do it, and 2) Carruth is in jail instead of dead.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Anyone who thinks Drew Bledsoe was a bad QB for the Patriots either is too young to remember or has the Ricky Bobby theory of defining what makes a great QB, which is if your not the best QB in the NFL or a Super Bowl winning QB you suck. He was one of the best QB's in the game with Patriots and I would say has a decent argument for being in the Hall of Fame. Anyone who doesn't think Bledsoe wasn't one of the games all-time best at QB doesn't know what they are talking about.

As for Sanchez being rated the top QB of his draft, I could buy that. The guy does have a really good arm and plays in a conference that has probably the best track record of any conference for producing great NFL QB's. Warren Moon, John Elway, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell, Troy Aikman, Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers. All Pac-10/12 QB's of recent memory. He's also very well spoken and has a pretty good build for a QB. So you combine all of those things, yeah I think its very easy to see why teams would buy into Mark Sanchez.

The biggest downside I heard from scouts believe it or not was that he was from Southern California. And I guarantee you there are alot of people in the NFL that would advise against drafting any QB from Southern California and its pretty easy to why that is fair or unfair. If look at alot of the QB's from Southern California you can make the argument that its been bust city. Matt Leinart, Todd Marinovich, Akili Smith, Dan McGwire, J.P. Losman, Kyle Boller. All QB's that grew up in Southern California, all first round draft picks, all busts.

Just something about growing up there does not give you the mentality to play quarterback in the NFL no matter how much talent you may have. That is the mindset that alot of people in the NFL are under right now and Mark Sanchez has not done anything to help change that. And the biggest criticisms isn't anything talent related Its that he can't handle the day to day criticism that any NFL QB comes under. He makes bad decisions. He's not a good leader. And those are all mental problems.

I wasn't talking about Bledsoe with the Pat's. I was talking about afterward, when Tom Brady ended his career. That's what this 3rd string guy's gonna do with Tebow out.

I wasn't talking about Bledsoe with the Pat's. I was talking about afterward, when Tom Brady ended his career. That's what this 3rd string guy's gonna do with Tebow out.

That's fine, but I have heard many people trash Drew Bledsoe because all they remember about him are him being replaced by Brady and being an aging QB for irrelevant NFL teams at least in the standings and its very unfair label for him to have. So sorry jumping down your throat there if that's not what your point was.

I don't know if Sanchez can do well anywhere else. As bad as the Jets situation has been, there have been QB's that have played better in worse situations that didn't amount to much over their careers.

I don't think the two situations are equivalent, especially If Carruth's son's mother is not also dead.

Carruth's girlfriend went into a coma and died a month later due to the gunshot injuries. The only differences are 1) Carruth hired somone to do it, and 2) Carruth is in jail instead of dead.

I was thinking about his first kid, from a woman whom I believe is still alive.

Regardless, I don't think the two situations are at all analogous. For the two reasons you mention, and more.

Vikings' Chad Greenway won't be getting any awards from MADD.

Regarding Sunday's game at home against Chicago:

"We have to play accordingly and our fans have to show up accordingly, which we know they will. Hopefully, they're super- duper drunk. ... So drink liquor, not beer.... Yeah, I would say morning drinking. Why not? You could pull an all-nighter. Then you'd have the drunk, tired guys who will really be obnoxious."

And also the son was left severely disabled.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And also the son was left severely disabled.

I don't see the difference. If anything, Carruth's son needs it more. As mentioned previously, SI just did an in-depth story on that whole horrific mess called The Boy They Couldn't Kill. Carruth is a POS who should have gotten the death penalty. He was there and helped block his pregnant GF's vehicle so his assassins could shoot her, and then he fled and left her to die.

theboytheycouldntkill.jpg

rays+son+8.JPG

The child's grandmother, the mother of the woman Carruth paid to have killed, is a hero. Her strength and courage is remarkable. She's forgiven Carruth, the man responsible for the death of her only child and the permanent disability of her grandchild. As a parent, I envy her heart because even knowing all about how forgiveness is for yourself and not the POS, I'm not sure I could do it.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yes, Carruth is a scumbag who deserves to rot in jail. At the very least.

But I don't know that there's a case to be made that his actions were conceivably influenced (if not outright caused) by his time playing in the NFL. Cold blooded and premediated murder doesn't fit the pattern of,CTE-influenced mental illness.

So yes, that's a tragic situation. But from the NFL's perspective, not analogous to the Belcher murder/suicide.

You know what makes the Rae Carruth situation even more tragic?

Look at his son, it looks like his friggen clone. I swear it is a mini Rae Carruth there.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived