MLS Uni Rankings

exaccardi

The problem with Adidas is that having the three stripes everywhere on every team ruins the good designs and makes the bad ones look worse.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm more of a Nike man myself, but I'd like to see each team choose their own sponsor, I feel like the chosen sponsor adds a lot to the identity of the team... Umbro is traditional, Nike is cutting edge, Adidas is top of the line, etc.

I wish that was the case with all five of the major leagues.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The worst is without a doubt RedBull NY

The (insert corporate name here)s have been saddled with a terrible identity from the start.

That said, I put Colorado as the very height of MLS design.

Real+Salt+Lake+v+Colorado+Rapids+wLTEBmA07hnx.jpg

Simple but not plain, great color scheme, instantly identifiable, no needless fussy details. Yep, just about perfect. And unusual from Adidas, which seems to have made something of a specialty out of extraneous piping and paneling of late.

"Simple but not plain"? I'm not sure how this isn't plain. I'm not saying that plain is necessarily a bad thing, but putting your crest on an otherwise generic shirt--the only trim being the default Adidas stripes--isn't anything but plain.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Colorado has no reasoning behind their design except the fact that Green and Blue didn't work. If that's not plain Gothamite, I'd like to see your idea of plain.

I don't see what the second and third sentences have to do with the first.

But in this case, the Adidas stripes keep it from being too plain.

Slap some blue sleeves on that Rapids kit and you're good to go. :P

The wine color was introduced after they entered some type of agreement with Arsenal. I think making them look like Villa or West Ham would drag that down with the stripes on it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

]

The (insert corporate name here)s have been saddled with a terrible identity from the start.

Wrong - this was a fantastic kit.

MetroStarsHSS0102.gif

I also liked this old Dallas Burn kit - can't stand their current faux-Euro name, although their new crest is a lot nicer.

bobby-rhine-dallas-burnjpg-79ba2fae2fa9aaf5.jpg

That's actually a really nice kit for the Burn. One of the better kits in the old MLS. I don't mind the new name, but the FC is kind of dumb considering it's Major League Soccer. No need to make your name Football Club when the league goes by soccer. The new crest is really nice and even ties into the old Burn name.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

]

Wrong - this was a fantastic kit.

MetroStarsHSS0102.gif

I wouldn't say fantastic. It's about on par with the current Red Bull New York Red Bulls look, honestly. And like that look, the Metrostars identity was also a case of corporate advertising. So, in my opinion, it doesn't really have any advantage over the Red Bull identity.

I agree with Goth in so much as I don't think the team has ever had a great look, but I disagree in so far as I don't think the current Red Bull look is all that bad. It's not great, but it works.

I also liked this old Dallas Burn kit - can't stand their current faux-Euro name, although their new crest is a lot nicer.

bobby-rhine-dallas-burnjpg-79ba2fae2fa9aaf5.jpg

I would rather have a "faux-Euro" identity done right then a North American identity done poorly. The Burn, using a trendy singular name, were an example of a North American identity done poorly.

I didn't mind their logo though. I like the horse breathing fire. Had they gone with a different name (Flames, Stallions) and used a more appealing green colour I could get behind that as a look. The FC Dallas crest, however, is just to good not use.

Archived