NHL Lockout...Whose side are you on?

BLUELANDbeliever

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players are paid what the market bears. If you object to what hockey players make, then you must object to all pro sports as well as the slush-funded top of the NCAA. Enjoy your D3 ball.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Im siding with the players. The way I see it, the owners (and Bettman) see us as pawns. Seriously, other than the All Star game and that cheap cheesy speech he says every year to give out the cup, when has Bettman actually done anything to thank us fans? Never. And the owners... they think slapping 'Thank you fans' down on the ice is good enough to say we appreciate your patronage? Hell no!

The owners take fans for granted for a reason: namely, they have most of us by the balls, and they know it. Simply put, like the NFL and NBA, there is no substitute for the game played at that level, at least not in North America. I mean, if hockey fans were to swear off the NHL en masse, where would we go? The KHL? Unless we want to start working night/graveyard shifts and sleeping during daylight hours, we won’t be able to stream any KHL games live, never mind shelling out thousands of dollars a trip to schlep ourselves to Russia to attend games in person.

When it comes to pro hockey, the NHL is just (yeah, here comes that dreaded phrase again) too big to fail.

CCSLC signature.png

I'm for the owners because the players sign too many awfully long contracts to build a championship team. If the players keep doing this, there wouldn't be enough salary for free agents or rising stars who deserve the money.

I didn't know better.

I don't know too much about hockey anyway.

Just like Bieber, stay in Canada NHL.

GTFO

PS Louisville sucks and nobody cares about their third-rate football program.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Im siding with the players. The way I see it, the owners (and Bettman) see us as pawns. Seriously, other than the All Star game and that cheap cheesy speech he says every year to give out the cup, when has Bettman actually done anything to thank us fans? Never. And the owners... they think slapping 'Thank you fans' down on the ice is good enough to say we appreciate your patronage? Hell no!

The owners take fans for granted for a reason: namely, they have most of us by the balls, and they know it. Simply put, there is no substitute for the game played at that level, at least not in North America. I mean, if hockey fans were to swear off the NHL en masse, where would we go? The KHL? Unless we want to start working graveyard shifts and sleeping in the afternoons, we won?t be able to stream any KHL games live, never mind shelling out thousands of dollars a trip to schlep ourselves to Russia to attend games in person.

Also the KHL owners are for the most part gangsters or semi-retired gangsters. Which is also a problem.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm for the owners because the players sign too many awfully long contracts to build a championship team. If the players keep doing this, there wouldn't be enough salary for free agents or rising stars who deserve the money.

I didn't know better.

Matthew Hulsizer, is that you?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Also the KHL owners are for the most part gangsters or semi-retired gangsters.

Sounds like the NHL, except the owners actually have money in the KHL.

No, in the NHL, they're legitimate. They just act like gangsters.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Except when the Yakuza owned the Lightning.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That time Bruce McNall was smuggling stolen stamp collections from Europe or whatever was pretty cool. No, wait, that was pretty lame. Common mistake.

Anyway, the fundamental problem here is that revenues have grown by leaps and bounds since the last CBA, but haven't grown equally in the league's component markets. This is not the players' fault. The owners got the cost certainty they demanded, and all things considered, haven't really been spending that idiotically at all. The worst we get now is complaining that a team signed a fourth-liner for $1.75MM when they could've had him for $1.5, or that the Panthers are signing everybody because they cleared the books and had a floor to hit. The days of the New York Rangers giving Bobby Holik $9 million because f-ck you that's why are well behind us. Teams are in trouble not because they're signing Ovechkin and Crosby and Parise into eternity, because those are the teams that aren't even in trouble in the first place, but because the linkage of league revenues to team expenses has dictated that teams have expenses that aren't necessarily commensurate with their own revenues. It works both ways: the Maple Leafs aren't spending what they could, and the Panthers are being made to spend far beyond their means. This can be fixed in a number of ways that don't include clawing back money from players, but apparently that's fun or something.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Seriously....can the NHL survive another prolonged lockout? And they will lockout, every single sport, save MLB, has locked out or gotten really close since 2005, so why shouldn't we expect a lockout. Ten years ago no other sport on this planet mattered to me like hockey, but, due largely in part to not having it around for a whole year, I have phased over to the NFL. If hockey locks out again, especially for a season, I will 99.9% not give a crap anymore. Also, if they do shut it down, some other league should see what their legal rights are to compete for the Stanley Cup. If memory serves it doesn't belong exclusively to the NHL so why should it be held hostage because the league doesn't feel like playing? And there has to be a way, somewhere, somehow, to ouster Gary Bettman....just sayin'.

The more I think about it, the more I KNOW that isn't a Seinfeld episode.

Besides the absence in my memory, Jerry's wearing his wedding ring. Something that only the real life Jerry Seinfeld would be wearing.

I'm pretty sure that .gif is from an episode of Curb... Jerry looks a bit older and the people around him don't look like their from the '90s.

I'm all for the lockout lasting a good decade.

R.I.P. NHL.

Most of the original 6 teams were not in Canada.

But the original 6 weren't the actual original teams. (Well, the Leafs and Habs were)

Perfect time to start "Posts that make you go Hmmmmm Part 2".

I maintain that that was a thread concept whose time had come! This is just a sports thought that is wrong, though. "I know New Orleans is the French state, but" was more the essence.

I think Raysfan12 has now seen the error of his ways, namely that the owners give those contracts out.

Contracts work the same in all sports. Owners pay the players.

I'm all for the lockout lasting a good decade.

R.I.P. NHL.

:censored: you. Hockey is great... Why don't you just stop posting here and go to some Louisville board? You'd probably enjoy that place even more.

Card Chronicle banned him for "zealotry".

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm with the players because:

- Bettman's a horse's ass

- the players aren't breaking balls

- this is the only goddamn league where the owners would sooner put a gun to the sport's head than risk missing out on buying bigger yachts/summer estates

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If this entire season is lost I can promise that I will never give a rats ass about anything NHL related again. I am well aware that sports are nothing more than an elaborate entertainment network designed to make already wealthy individuals even more money and I would be fine with that if we were guaranteed to see said product on a yearly basis. But this lockout garbage that has occurred 3 times in Bettman's reign just drives the point home. Why bother to care about something that will never care back? Bettman does not give a flying :censored: less about the tradition of hockey nor it's fans and as long as he is the commissioner, we will continue to be screwed over. If you, the NHL fans, put up with another lost season you will put up with anything and no amount of logic will ever stop you from chugging this vomit flavoured kool-aid like it's happy hour.

Boycott the NHL.

Archived