FBS Independent Concepts

bigmike

Alright folks next up in my College Football Series is the Independents of the FBS. Four teams in College Football are independent, and these four teams are some of the most traditional teams in the sport. Every team has a rich uniform history, and some of these teams possibly have the best uniforms in College Football.

Here are the two conferences I have already completed, check them out!

SEC

Pac-12

FBS Independents (4/4)

FBSIndependentHelmets.png

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Army Black Knights

Army might have the best uniform set in all of College Football right now, it is absolutely beautiful. Basically, with my concept I tried to "perfect' their look with a few basic tweaks. The helmet stays the same, however it now features numbers on the sides, the numbers match the jersey font. I added Army across the chest, I also edited the wordmark to match the numbers, and the sleeve patches stay the same, West Point stays on the nameplate. The pants feature a stripe to match the helmet. The newest addition is the alternate uniforms, I created a gold uniform and a gray uniform, and both feature a black digi camo pattern on all of the black parts of the uniform.

Home and Away Uniforms

ArmyHomeandRoadUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

ArmyAlternateUniforms.png

BYU Cougars

BYU has some nice uniforms, but I've always liked both of their blue colors, so I decided to use both of them in one set. The helmet now features northwestern stripes and the logo features an outline to match the northwestern stripes. The jersey also features shoulder numbers. You'll notice I moved the logo featured on the jersey to the chest, I actually did this for every team in this series, since they have no Conference patch, I decided to use the team's primary logo as a patch representing that they are independent. The royal blue uniforms are a throwback set to the Steve Young era.

Home and Away Uniforms

BYUHomeAwayUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

BYUAlternateUniforms.png

Navy Midshipman

I have completed Navy before, I have always been a fan of the marine inspired uniforms. I decided to add some elements from all of the uniforms we have seen Navy wear over the past couple of years. While the default set is the same traditional uniform, it now features a gold/red/gold trim on the jerseys and it features the "blood" stripes on the helmet and pants. The alternate uniforms are based off of this years rivalry uniform set, I added some uniformity to it with a pants stripe and keeping the patches from the other uniforms although the anchor logo is outlined and colored different for the alternate set.

Home and Away Uniforms

HomeandRoadUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

NavyAlternateUniforms.png

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame was the first team I completed, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for them. I kept the new gold helmets they wore this year that even feature a gold tint to the facemask. I also added Irish across the chest with a new number font inspired by their alternate uniforms, the gold in this entire set is supposed to match and it is a shiney reflective material. The alternate uniforms are a fauxback, somewhat inspired by the Joe Montana era uniforms as well as the Under the Lights uniforms. The helmet is the same as this one except it now features numbers inside the clover.

Home and Away Uniforms

NotreDameHomeandRoadUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

NotreDameAlternateUniforms.png

The blue alternate jerseys are sick. I'd love to see those in a real game. On the ND ones I really like the home and away unis. The one thing hat would be nice though is if you took the clover with the number from the alternates and had it on one side of the regular helmets like you'd see on the steelers

Blue alternate navy jerseys*

Navy Midshipman

I have completed Navy before, I have always been a fan of the marine inspired uniforms. I decided to add some elements from all of the uniforms we have seen Navy wear over the past couple of years. While the default set is the same traditional uniform, it now features a gold/red/gold trim on the jerseys and it features the "blood" stripes on the helmet and pants. The alternate uniforms are based off of this years rivalry uniform set, I added some uniformity to it with a pants stripe and keeping the patches from the other uniforms although the anchor logo is outlined and colored different for the alternate set.

Home and Away Uniforms

HomeandRoadUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

NavyAlternateUniforms.png

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame was the first team I completed, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for them. I kept the new gold helmets they wore this year that even feature a gold tint to the facemask. I also added Irish across the chest with a new number font inspired by their alternate uniforms, the gold in this entire set is supposed to match and it is a shiney reflective material. The alternate uniforms are a fauxback, somewhat inspired by the Joe Montana era uniforms as well as the Under the Lights uniforms. The helmet is the same as this one except it now features numbers inside the clover.

Home and Away Uniforms

NotreDameHomeandRoadUniforms.png

Alternate Uniforms

NotreDameAlternateUniforms.png

Not sure I like the Marine Corps emblem on the shoulder. I know the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy and all but as a former Marine I'm not digging it. But besides that all these look great.

sportslogosbutton1.pngsportslogosbutton2.png

2l9mudh.jpg

Not sure I like the Marine Corps emblem on the shoulder. I know the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy and all but as a former Marine I'm not digging it. But besides that all these look great.

Yeah that's understandable, Navy actually uses the emblem as a patch on one sleeve of their current jersey. They began using them with their Nike Enforcer uniforms they wore against Army a couple years back.

I really like what you did with ND. I love that number font they had for the Shamrock Series, and I'm glad you incorporated it. Also, the "IRISH" script and shiny gold are nice touches. Just two complaints: the NOBs and the number-in-shamrock. I don't know if it was just an oversight, but ND doesn't have NOBs (except in bowl games in recent years), and I'm just not a fan of how the number looks inside the shamrock. IMO the shamrock is strong enough to stand alone.

Wow. Absolutely amazing. BYU is great. The N'western stripes really work well with two tone blue. Alternates for Army and Notre Dame look great too. (And good job not ruining tradition) and the Navy set is perfect. Both the primary and alternate options are a great contrast of eras and styles for Navy.

Navy's alternates are sweet, especially the helmet, and BYU's is awesome is well and a necessary change at that. The "blackout" they had this year was lame. When you have to turn to stupid fads, just update your uniform already (but in a responsible way).

Hey bigmike, what template are you using for these? I'm still stuck on the template that includes the original Revolution helmet and the Adidas and UA templates that look identical.

Decent stuff! I especially like the Navy ones, even though I'm in the Army! Also, I really like what you did with Notre Dame. I'm not a huge fan of the Army alternates, but I'm really picky when it comes to them. Solid work though.

Archived