2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it seems Chip Kelly has bailed on Oregon and is heading to Philly.

I guess this means Oregon's about to be hit with crippling sanctions, right? Wow.

Maybe not. Sleep deprived guys that work 25 hour days are always looking for a challenge and for a lot of college coaches, that meas the NFL.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This reminds me of Pete Carroll getting the hell out of town right before USC was sanctioned. Considering Oregon is going before the Council on Infractions soon, I would be shocked if Chip's hasty exit DOESN'T end up foreshadowing harsh punishments for the program.

I mean, this move was so last-minute, his assistant coaches found out about it on Twitter just like everyone else. This is after Chip re-committed to Oregon, too. This doesn't normally happen so fast without SOMETHING bad going down.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah, I mean unless Philly sweetened the pot a ton, nobody reneges on a school like Oregon one week after committing to the coaches, players and incoming recruits. I also think something might be happening on the horizon.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This reminds me of Pete Carroll getting the hell out of town right before USC was sanctioned. Considering Oregon is going before the Council on Infractions soon, I would be shocked if Chip's hasty exit DOESN'T end up foreshadowing harsh punishments for the program.

I mean, this move was so last-minute, his assistant coaches found out about it on Twitter just like everyone else. This is after Chip re-committed to Oregon, too. This doesn't normally happen so fast without SOMETHING bad going down.

I feel the same way. One of the know-it-all yack mouths I listen to on the radio is saying Oregon is "negotiating" with the NCAA regarding sanctions and is about to get "slapped" (but he doesn't know to what extent). Maybe ol' Chipper found out what's coming for the Ducks (as we know, the NCAA has said they may begin suspending coaches) and decided to pull a Pete Carroll. Can't say I'd blame the guy for bolting Oregon with the NCAA judgement coming, but for the assistants to find out on Twitter, that's kind of foul.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The NCAA is a disgrace, they punnish athletes who were not around when the school committedd the crime as the coach who was the guilty party goes to the NFL or to another job without pnealty.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What exactly is the alternative? It's not exactly under the NCAA's jurisdiction to punish the offending parties when they no longer attend the university.

All they can do is impose the "show cause" penalty right?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That works to keep Tressel out of the head coaching ranks of the NCAAs. But it has no effect on Pete Carroll, for instance, since he has an NFL gig. Even if Oregon gets levied some sanctions, Chip Kelly will feel no effects on it.

And, besides, that would feed right back into Tank's beef with punishing players who were not there when the penalties were committed.

spacer.png

I mean, I ain't no expert on legalese or nothing, so maybe one of you lawyer smart guys can help me out in this one...but would it be possible to write language into a college head coach's contract that, if the NCAA presents a notice to probe a program for investigation of infractions or something, would then lock him into that contract through the duration of the investigation, meaning he can't escape scott-free? Is it also possible to go after the AD in that same vein, since ultimately it falls under that individual's watch?

I mean, it just seems to this ignorant observer here that these programs would be a little smarter about the language of these contracts, if for no better reason than to protect their own interests (if that's even the right phrase to use).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

would it be possible to write language into a college head coach's contract that, if the NCAA presents a notice to probe a program for investigation of infractions or something, would then lock him into that contract through the duration of the investigation, meaning he can't escape scott-free?

Sure. Now make him sign it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

would it be possible to write language into a college head coach's contract that, if the NCAA presents a notice to probe a program for investigation of infractions or something, would then lock him into that contract through the duration of the investigation, meaning he can't escape scott-free?

Sure. Now make him sign it.

Precisely what I'm getting at.

Since it appears the NCAA itself has no intentions of cleaning itself up anytime soon, perhaps if something like that is written into the contracts, a potential cheater coach would think twice about signing on. If he does, he should also accept all consequences that comes with it. If he refuses, it probably wasn't someone the program needed, anyway.

If nothing else, it might begin the "cleansing" process from the bottom? I don't know, I'm just throwing s*** out there. This ain't my area of expertise. (But then, nothing really is. :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Buc, the NCAA convention is ongoing now and there are numerous items to be voted on to "deregulate" more.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/01/08/ncaa-deregulation.htm

BTW, August 1,2013 is the date the new NCAA penalty chart goes into effect and head coaches will be held at a higher level of program responsibility which does include in season game suspensions.

Since it appears the NCAA itself has no intentions of cleaning itself up anytime soon, perhaps if something like that is written into the contracts, a potential cheater coach would think twice about signing on. If he does, he should also accept all consequences that comes with it. If he refuses, it probably wasn't someone the program needed, anyway.

But the best coaches are the ones who break the rules and scorch their own earth to do so. If you don't allow yourself to roll in the muck with everyone else, you'll just be Northwestern, so it's in everyone's best short-term interests to let coaches heat up the house by setting it on fire. As always with college sports, no one wants to change the status quo, so all these bad ideas and loopholes are just allowed to sit and fester until college sports as we know it finally rots from the inside out like it should.

So it seems Chip Kelly has bailed on Oregon and is heading to Philly.

I guess this means Oregon's about to be hit with crippling sanctions, right? Wow.

It's the latest CFB fad: paralyze the Pac-12/west coast teams with bowl bans, championship striplings and death penalties, while going all lenient on the SEC's, Penn State, Ohio State and Miami.

I'm so glad we're all making fun of Play Like A Catfish Today and not paying any attention to the fact that the Chicago Bears, which is to say the 92-year-old NFL charter franchise in the large and prominent city of Chicago, just hired a head coach who had been out of the league for the last eight seasons.

That works to keep Tressel out of the head coaching ranks of the NCAAs. But it has no effect on Pete Carroll, for instance, since he has an NFL gig. Even if Oregon gets levied some sanctions, Chip Kelly will feel no effects on it.

And, besides, that would feed right back into Tank's beef with punishing players who were not there when the penalties were committed.

Unless Philadelphia blows up in Kelly's face. Personally I think he found out that he has a show cause incoming and that's what fueled the about-face.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's the latest CFB fad: paralyze the Pac-12/west coast teams with bowl bans, championship striplings and death penalties, while going all lenient on the SEC's, Penn State, Ohio State and Miami.

What.

/We don't know what penalties Miami is getting.

//Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived