2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Chud to Cleveland is a terrible terrible terrible hire. They should've just kept Shurmur if they were going to bring in another no-name dud. Why the hell not hire Marty Schottenheimer? Bring him back to Cleveland. That would have been a nice change for the team, welcomed by fans, instead of hiring another coordinator who hasn't proven a damn thing in the league.

If you want to see a failed hire, Marty Schottenheimer would be that. How many times does he have to prove he can only win regular season games before people finally give up on the idea of him being some great coach?

I don't get it either.

I'd rather get a new up-and-comer than some retread that couldn't win before. I don't know if he's the right guy for Cleveland, but I'm confident that he'd be better than Schottenheimer.

Fans like to get name coaches, but how often does that actually work?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the rules for interviewing / hiring guys who are still coaching in the playoffs? I was surprised to see that some of these guys are interviewing so close to their games, but could they be hired and stay with their team? Is there some blackout period?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He was able to make Derek Anderson a pro bowler.

So that qualifies him to become an NFL head coach..... Right.

Did I say that was the reason he was hired? Did I say that was the only reason he was qualified? It was a response to someone who mentioned he was the Browns OC in 2007.

Just accept the fact that whoever they would have hired, you would have bashed.

Just accept the fact that whoever they would have hired, you would have bashed.

No. I've already stated I would have praised the Browns had they hired Marty Schottenheimer. I also would have given them props had they gone after coaches with roots there, like Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher. In fact, ANYONE with a proven NFL head coaching track record would have been acceptable.

Since coming back into the league in 1999, the Browns have hired one coach with prior NFL head coaching experience, and that's Eric Mangini (who should have been unhirable after his the first time around with NYJ). Maybe it's time they tried something different, like someone who's actually "been there, done that."

6uXNWAo.png

Monte Kiffin replaces Rob Ryan in Dallas

I hope this is a good fit. The Cowboys need to upgrade their FS (Sensabaugh) though. He's not good enough to play a Tampa 2 FS. If we do that, our defense will have a good chance of being very, very good.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Per LaCanfora:

Rob Ryan is the new DC in St. Louie.

Wait wha? Did the Rams just do well on a coordinator hire?

EDIT-Would Rob Ryan also count as a (yet another Ram) coaching nepotism hire or not? He's kind of proven himself, but he is Buddy Ryan's son.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He was able to make Derek Anderson a pro bowler.

So that qualifies him to become an NFL head coach..... Right.

Chud to Cleveland is a terrible terrible terrible hire. They should've just kept Shurmur if they were going to bring in another no-name dud. Why the hell not hire Marty Schottenheimer? Bring him back to Cleveland. That would have been a nice change for the team, welcomed by fans, instead of hiring another coordinator who hasn't proven a damn thing in the league.

If you want to see a failed hire, Marty Schottenheimer would be that. How many times does he have to prove he can only win regular season games before people finally give up on the idea of him being some great coach?

He won the UFL championship in 2011.

He won the UFL championship in 2011.

And? The UFL is a lot different than the NFL.

Take it from someone who rooted for a Marty-coached NFL team: he is a playoff choke artist, to the point where before the playoff game against the Patriots in his last year in San Diego, he was reportedly shaking like a leaf and asking his assistants to calm him down. He can only win regular season games. He can turn around bad teams, but outstays his usefulness once fans begin to expect playoff wins and Super Bowl rings. There's a reason no NFL team has even considered him for a job after the Chargers fired him.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If you cheer for Cleveland, just getting to the playoffs sounds mighty attractive at the moment.

/Just throwing that out there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do all college coaches have clauses in their contracts that allow them to bail for the NFL? I get why the schools would cave in order to get the right guy, but it seems like they should build some kind of minimum commitment into the deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Do all college coaches have clauses in their contracts that allow them to bail for the NFL? I get why the schools would cave in order to get the right guy, but it seems like they should build some kind of minimum commitment into the deal.

You can call it a buyout or an 'early departure' penalty for taking another NCAA or NFL job, but school's place such language in the head coach's contract. There are often interest-free loans as part of the contract which must be paid if a coach leaves before the agreed time (plus proceeds from the sale of the house goes back to the school).

Typically, an assistant coach does not have such contract language if they resign to be a head coach at either level.

Someone brought this up on facebook and I must say I'm intrigued:

Dom Capers out as Packers DC, Lovie Smith in.

Lovie Smith doesn't coach the 3-4.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived