2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

There are two Hall of Fame Coaches that coached in the CFL and than went to the NFL and led his team to four trips to the Super Bowl

Course both Marv Leavy and Bud Grant lost all four Suoper Bowls they coached, but they got there.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea mark trestman was even still working, let alone in the cfl. I instantly recognized his name though, and remember the at one time he was considered one of the bright offensive minds and a HC candidate. I don't think you'd hear any "lol cfl-guy" stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Khan flew to ATL this morning. Looks like it has to be Caldwell. I can't believe he is only 36. I am happy to give him a chance. It is hard to tell how good a new GM will be. Just please fire Mularkey.

Mularkey...who came from Atlanta. I agree though, I never understood that hire by Jacksonville.

I heard he was about to be demoted before the Jags scooped him up. Hopefully Caldwell was in the demotion camp.

According to Ron Jawarski, Jon Gruden wants to come back to the Eagles as coach. He's so beloved here that people are starting to go nuts over him. Fortunately, the team rarely if ever considers public opinion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually I read someone that if you think about it, they are taking a golden opportunity to interview coaches from all the playoff teams and many more up and coming coaches. How much intel do you think comes from an NFL head coaching job interview? I mean they aren't handing over the playbook, but I bet enough information that its worth spending 4-8 hours out of a day on.

When you think of it that way, what did the Bills get out of interviewing a couple candidates and hiring a college coach with a .500 record? Well they got a new coach but nothing else. No relationships built with strong coaches, no intel.

The CFL coach though is kinda left field however.

If you're defining Marrone as nothing more than that, you're shortchanging him. NFL players on a good team (Saints - yeah, not this year but overall) are calling him "the best coach I ever had." Sean Payton hired him as OC in '06 and says, "He's ready" for an NFL HC job. Marrone worked with Drew Brees and helped build one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. He was .500 at Syracuse after taking over a team that won 10 games in 4 years. So let's see, he has solid NFL experience in a successful program and took a train wreck at Syracuse and made a significant improvement. If he did that in Buffalo, would the fans be disappointed?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Sorry my point wasn't about the Bills coach even though it came off that way. More about the process of interviewing candidates. I was saying the Bears were doing a good thing by interviewing a ton of candidates, building relationships, getting intel. The Bills only interviewed a few people and hired their guy. I only used them as an example because they were the most recent to hire a coach. I think it would be beneficial to teams if they interviewed more people not less.

Even if the Bills knew they were going to hire Marrone they could have interviewed a few other up and coming coaches to get some intel. I mean one of the things a HC candidate does is bring in potential assistants. When a GM sees the same names popping up they know who the well respected assistants are.

I shouldn't have said anything about the .500 record cause it doesn't really matter. An up and coming coach can be hired at the beginning of his upswing.

Also the CFL coach...I guess I did the "lol CFL wut" thing on that one. It is rare to see NFL teams interview CFL coaches though, thats more what I meant by "left field."

He'll be credited as the outside the box thinker who called for punts every third down.

NFLN is now reporting that Norv, and Smith have both been officially canned, and somewhere Lights Out is celebrating.

Not just Lights Out.

HUGE win for the city of San Diego...and ANOTHER shotgun blast to the knees for LA's effort of bringing the NFL back.

Why? Was Norv pushing for the move?

Question for Goth. (Will he be in this thread with his damn stable franchise?)

Jags are looking at Alonzo Highsmith. Got any info? Is he worth a damn? Hopefully he is smart enough to fire Mularkey.

Highsmith has been a Green Bay scout for 13 of his 14 seasons with the team, but he has only spent one season working in Green Bay in a management role. Previously, he was living in Texas.

Remember for GM hires, as well as for head coaching openings, teams still must comply with the "Rooney Rule".

Sorry, I missed this before.

Hard to evaluate Highsmith, since all his work was done behind the scenes. He didn't make decisions, he assembled the information and made recommendations to the person who made the decisions. I'd presume any club interested in hiring him would want to read his past reports.

That having been said, I obviously have a great deal of respect for the people who run the Packers, and the fact they have kept him around so long speaks well of him.

NFLN is now reporting that Norv, and Smith have both been officially canned, and somewhere Lights Out is celebrating.

Not just Lights Out.

HUGE win for the city of San Diego...and ANOTHER shotgun blast to the knees for LA's effort of bringing the NFL back.

It's more of a "Major League" kind of situation, where ownership keeps the players, owners and/or managers which alienate the fan base, making a possible relocation effort easier to swallow for the departed-city's customers. To San Diego people, Norv and AJ represented everything but winning for the Chargers, giving up on Schottenheimer and Brees, and axing talks before LaDanlian moved to the Jets.

Spanos still has the issue of a stadium in San Diego, but with both Turner and Smith gone, the fans there at least have assurance that their two fumbling idiots are gone, and that there's more fight against the talks of the potential move to LA.

Not just Lights Out.

It's more of a "Major League" kind of situation, where ownership keeps the players, owners and/or managers which alienate the fan base, making a possible relocation effort easier to swallow for the departed-city's customers. To San Diego people, Norv and AJ represented everything but winning for the Chargers, giving up on Schottenheimer and Brees, and axing talks before LaDanlian moved to the Jets.

Spanos still has the issue of a stadium in San Diego, but with both Turner and Smith gone, the fans there at least have assurance that their two fumbling idiots are gone, and that there's more fight against the talks of the potential move to LA.

You're REALLY stretching/reading into something that isn't there. The Chargers will move, regardless of fan support in San Diego, if they can get a better arena deal in Los Angeles. End of story.

Lovie Smith has another interview lined up....the Eagles on Thursday

Nothing against Lovie Smith as a coach (and honestly, I've never paid any attention to him so I have no idea how good he is), but I cannot imagine that would be a hire that would go over well at all with a fanbase that just got over so many years of frustration with Reid. Just from the vibe I get, the only current names I can see being accepted are Gruden (Jon, not Jay), Gus Bradley, and Mike McCoy. Can't imagine they'd go with a recently fired guy or a total dark horse (like Reid was.)

Archived