2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

(including a 3-0 sweep out by my Dodgers).

This, coming from someone who tossed Cubs fans into the mix of "fans with a superiority complex that have accomplished nothing".

The irony here is absolutely amazing.

Let's brake down the phrase for Cub fans:

"Fans with a superiority complex..."

=

Cub fans feeling entitled for having a "charming" (desolate) and "beautiful" (structurally unsound) stadium, home of baseball's "most friendly fans" (some fans are angry people impatient for a title after seeing Red and White Sox titles). Also entitled for the amount of press (ESPN) they get, along with the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies and now my Dodgers.

"...that have accomplished nothing."

=

Regular season flameouts every year since WWII, except in 1984, '89, '98, 2003, '07 and '08 (with truly painful endings in some of those runs).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brianstartare

Sources tell me Chip Kelly and the eagles are close to an agreement on a 5 year deal. If I'm right I'm golden. If wrong my source is fired

RapSheet

Source: #Browns met with #Cuse's Doug Marrone again. Yesterday, looked like job was Kelly's. Today Browns trying to figure out their choice

RapSheet

Asked two sources whether the #Browns like Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone more: "They are deciding." Was told neck-&-neck. #staytuned

RapSheet

The #Browns meeting with Doug Marrone happened while #Eagles were meeting with Chip Kelly, I'm told.

Doug Marrone has done great work with a bleak situation in Syracuse. That job isn't the same it was when Pasqualoni led ranked teams year-in, year-out. His act might well translate to the NFL; I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Pretty sure that earlier tweet that someone posted about Chip Kelly agreeing to a 5 year deal w Philadelphia was more of a joke tweet than anything. Still, Shefter reporting that the Browns have given up, and he's either taking Philadelphia's offer or staying at Oregon. As an Eagles fan, and even as someone who doesn't really know much about college football, I really hope he stays at Oregon. I have no idea if he's a good coach or strategist or anything, but I don't think that anyone who's never worked at the NFL level is qualified for a NFL head coaching job. There are just too many differences in roster building, player relations, coaching management, PR commitments, etc. that I think it would overwhelm anyone coming in who hasn't at least been in some position on an NFL staff before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pretty sure that earlier tweet that someone posted about Chip Kelly agreeing to a 5 year deal w Philadelphia was more of a joke tweet than anything. Still, Shefter reporting that the Browns have given up, and he's either taking Philadelphia's offer or staying at Oregon. As an Eagles fan, and even as someone who doesn't really know much about college football, I really hope he stays at Oregon. I have no idea if he's a good coach or strategist or anything, but I don't think that anyone who's never worked at the NFL level is qualified for a NFL head coaching job. There are just too many differences in roster building, player relations, coaching management, PR commitments, etc. that I think it would overwhelm anyone coming in who hasn't at least been in some position on an NFL staff before.

I'd agree, except for the PR commitments. A big-time college football program probably isn't worlds away media-wise from an NFL team, and head coaches in the NFL aren't expected to schmooze the boosters.

Chip Kelly to Philadephia...5-year deal

I'm surprised he got that many years if it is in fact true.

That's a long contract for any coach, let alone a rookie head coach.

We'll see what happens. Philly was my initial guess for Chip Kelly before Cleveland got involved in talking to him, which I think may have led to his price being driven up. If Cleveland doesn't talk to him he could very well be looking at four years, so if that's the case may want to put Joe Banner on his Christmas list.

As far as Doug Marrone goes I think it could be a really good hire. You look at the depths to where that Syracuse program fell under Greg Robinson, he's done one of the best jobs in college football in recent memory at turning a program around. There's alot of people that would Doug Marrone as a close second to Chip Kelly as the best college coaches for the NFL. If he had stayed in New Orleans as the offensive coordinator, he probably would have been a head coach in the NFL a year or two earlier.

Its also only about a two and half hour drive along I90 to get from Syracuse to Buffalo, so were also talking about a familiar face to many in that area, which I think can help because that's a franchise that needs to do something to get that fanbase excited again.

We'll see what happens. Philly was my initial guess for Chip Kelly before Cleveland got involved in talking to him, which I think may have led to his price being driven up. If Cleveland doesn't talk to him he could very well be looking at four years, so if that's the case may want to put Joe Banner on his Christmas list.

As far as Doug Marrone goes I think it could be a really good hire. You look at the depths to where that Syracuse program fell under Greg Robinson, he's done one of the best jobs in college football in recent memory at turning a program around. There's alot of people that would Doug Marrone as a close second to Chip Kelly as the best college coaches for the NFL. If he had stayed in New Orleans as the offensive coordinator, he probably would have been a head coach in the NFL a year or two earlier.

Its also only about a two and half hour drive along I90 to get from Syracuse to Buffalo, so were also talking about a familiar face to many in that area, which I think can help because that's a franchise that needs to do something to get that fanbase excited again.

I don't think that's a legitimate report. There are no legitimate sources claiming anything other than that he is still deciding about one more year in Oregon or the Eagles.

EDIT: Eagles have confirmed that they're talking to McCoy, so clearly the Kelly thing is not a done deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think that's a legitimate report. There are no legitimate sources claiming anything other than that he is still deciding about one more year in Oregon or the Eagles.

EDIT: Eagles have confirmed that they're talking to McCoy, so clearly the Kelly thing is not a done deal.

At this point I'm treating them talking to McCoy more as a backup option. You don't have a nine hour meeting with somebody if your not serious about hiring him.

My suspicion is that its probably money that's holding things up more then anything else. If he's looking for five years I would be very reluctant to give him that contract unless I was absolutely convinced he was going to be a successful NFL head coach. Five years is the same amount of length Andy Reid got with Chiefs and what Mike Shanahan got with the Redskins and those guys both have resumes far more extensive then Chip Kelly's. So for a team to give him that kind of deal I think would be putting a huge amount of faith in him.

Who goes where:

Bills - Whatever's cheapest.

Marrone hired by Bills.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

It was a cheap option, but also the highest-risk. For a team that has loved hiring retreads, it's nice to see the Bills taking a bit of a gamble. Marrone has done an amazing job maximizing not-so-great talent in Syracuse, so maybe he can squeeze something out of the Bills.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

At this point I'm treating them talking to McCoy more as a backup option. You don't have a nine hour meeting with somebody if your not serious about hiring him.

My suspicion is that its probably money that's holding things up more then anything else. If he's looking for five years I would be very reluctant to give him that contract unless I was absolutely convinced he was going to be a successful NFL head coach. Five years is the same amount of length Andy Reid got with Chiefs and what Mike Shanahan got with the Redskins and those guys both have resumes far more extensive then Chip Kelly's. So for a team to give him that kind of deal I think would be putting a huge amount of faith in him.

They may have gone into it serious about hiring him, but maybe There was an unexpected red flag that came up somewhere along the way. Or, maybe they just felt like he was wasting their time and going back to Oregon. Or, with Cleveland out of the mix, there's not as much pressure no pounce so they can talk to their next candidate and give him the chance to wow them. I kinda hope he does, because I hjust don't see Chip Kelly as a great choice. Then again, I'm not paid to do nothing but study and analyze this stuff.

Who goes where:

Bills - Whatever's cheapest.

Marrone hired by Bills.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

It was a cheap option, but also the highest-risk. For a team that has loved hiring retreads, it's nice to see the Bills taking a bit of a gamble. Marrone has done an amazing job maximizing not-so-great talent in Syracuse, so maybe he can squeeze something out of the Bills.

I was not even expecting the Bills to hire Marrone. DG is right about being a high risk, but he has a very high reward.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived