2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was really hoping Ed Reed would end up being one of the increasingly-rarer NFL lifers. Oh well. At least the Ravens cashed in on getting the Super Bowl just before free agency ripped that team apart. Because that team, as currently constituted, is not in position to defend their division title, let alone their Super Bowl title.

And, to think, with the late season tailspin they were heading into, they might've ended up being one miraculous 4th-and-29 conversion short of almost none of that happening.

spacer.png

Soon to be official, Ed Reed is leaving for the Texans. . . .God this is depressing (even though I like Houston), but I truly wish him the best on the rest of his career.

You aren't allowed to be depressed about your team one month after winning a superbowl.

Please. An exception can be made for a franchise cornerstone like Reed switching teams.

And, to think, with the late season tailspin they were heading into, they might've ended up being one miraculous 4th-and-29 conversion short of almost none of that happening.

You're welcome, Ravens. B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Soon to be official, Ed Reed is leaving for the Texans. . . .God this is depressing (even though I like Houston), but I truly wish him the best on the rest of his career.

You aren't allowed to be depressed about your team one month after winning a superbowl.

Normally, there's a five-season grace period, where fans cannot b#### and whine about their team within the first five years after winning a title (teams due up next, in order, are the Red Wings, Celtics, Phillies and Steelers).

All these Ravens' off-season moves, however, makes me want to grant an exception to these fans now.

Normally, there's a five-season grace period, where fans cannot b#### and whine about their team within the first five years after winning a title (teams due up next, in order, are the Red Wings, Celtics, Phillies and Steelers).

All these Ravens' off-season moves, however, makes me want to grant an exception to these fans now.

That's still one more Super Bowl win than any Vikings fan has ever seen.... and in this case I actually feel for them. The Ravens knew this was the last year of their contender window with Ray Lewis retiring, and they were able to send off a guy whose been the face of their franchise literally since day one out on top. Not many teams have been able to do that, and if Ravens fans can't at least take solace in that, then they're even more spoiled than these Johnny-come-lately Packers fans (I was a fan in the 80s... I paid my dues :P )

Once Ray announced his retirement it was clear that was the Ravens last run for a title, now they sit back retool and with a good GM they should be able to get back into contention quickly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This could be the Bengals year to grab hold of the division. The Steelers and Ravens are falling apart nicely and the Browns are the Browns.

Regardless, the AFC North will not be as strong as it has been the last 4 years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

We probably have because it happens every year, but when's the last time we saw this many franchise players depart their long-time team in the same year?

Right now we've got Steven Jackson, Brian Urlacher, Dwight Freeney, and Ed Reed. There might be more. Only Jackson and (almost) Reed have signed deals elsewhere, but it's expected that Urlacher and Freeney will latch on somewhere as well.

Sometimes the NFL sure is sad.

Since this place loves uniforms, here's an interesting quote from Chip Kelly at the NFL coaches breakfast in Arizona yesterday:

On whether he’ll miss the Oregon uniforms: "Yeah, I think one thing about the uniforms is the science behind them. They are lighter, they’re faster, they wisk away sweat better. That part was always very intriguing to me."

So there you go. 38 combinations.....meh. But the way the sweat gets off them? Awesome!

Since this place loves uniforms, here's an interesting quote from Chip Kelly at the NFL coaches breakfast in Arizona yesterday:

On whether he’ll miss the Oregon uniforms: "Yeah, I think one thing about the uniforms is the science behind them. They are lighter, they’re faster, they wisk away sweat better. That part was always very intriguing to me."

So there you go. 38 combinations.....meh. But the way the sweat gets off them? Awesome!

That's because they are so ugly not even perspiration wants to be caught wearing it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm coping with the reality, but truly, it was inevitable, but it's just happening all so fast that it's crazy. No matter what happens in this season coming up, I'm sticking with this team. I'm just glad that the end of the last season went the way it did, now its time to reload.

On the heels of that, looks like Bernard Pollard (who is now officially a journeyman; from Kansas City to Houston to Baltimore-did I miss a team?) is all set to join the Titans.

Who's next?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't think I've ever seen a Super Bowl-winning team become so dismantled so fast...particularly on defense. With Pollard now gone, I think that's what, five defensive starters gone now? Lewis, Reed, Ellerbe, Cary Williams, and now Pollard. And actually, didn't another of their defensive players just sign with Cleveland here recently? With Q (Boldin) gone, that's seven quality contributors—and a good bulk of their "tough guys"—gone. Looks like it's up to either Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata (provided neither gets hurt again) to pick up the flag now.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived