Worst color scheme in the NHL?

Bayne

I apologize in advance because I have joined this thread late and I have only had the chance to peruse through a couple of pages, but is this argument REALLY centered around which team (Oilers or Islanders) can stake claim to Royal Blue and Orange or am I missing something? If it is, then this is truly a silly argument; they BOTH do because of their history in the league and the fact that they have established a championship pedigree and YES the color scheme works beautifully. Do we have to pull out a color wheel and hold a Color Theory 101 class? Again, maybe I missed a couple of important posts but this seems kind of silly to argue about.

Perfectly put. Both the Islanders and Oilers massively improved their looks when they dropped the dark colours associated with the 90's trends.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homerism aside, I really don't get the Vancouver hate. I think the blue and green is one of, if not the best colour schemes in the NHL.

I don't think any team has a BAD colour scheme, but if I had to pick a 'worst' I'd probably say St. Louis. or Florida. Two tones of blue is fine, but the use of yellow/gold in addition to the multiple shades of blue for St. Louisjust doesn't look good in my eyes.

At least they're not using all three primary colours anymore like Florida. Its executed well, but as far as just colour schemes go I really don't like all three used together.

The Blues used red really well before they went totally overboard with it. I like their color scheme now a lot as well, provided they're not wearing the alts that emphasize navy and white over royal blue and gold. Both schemes, then, rely heavily on proper application.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Blues have one of my favorite color schemes in sports. Sure, it's double blue, but not in the cliched mid-2000's "navy and powder blue" sense, and the yellow accents really pop. It just looks good.

St.-Louis-Blues-Blue-Jersey-1998-2007.jpg

As long as they don't use red, that just looked too busy...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I think their look would benefit with a better jersey template that used less white. The color scheme is fine, but the whole look just seems a bit ugly 90's to me.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I hate how dull the Ducks and Penguins look. Those drab colors aren't fooling anybody into forgetting that your mascot's a silly bird.

On the other hand, the Kings' colors don't really bother me. Mostly because I hated the way they used purple when they had it. Making it a dark blurple and relegating it to a trim color made it look like they were embarrassed by it. If you're going to wear purple, you need to own it. Be proud of your flamboyance.

I hate how dull the Ducks and Penguins look. Those drab colors aren't fooling anybody into forgetting that your mascot's a silly bird.

On the other hand, the Kings' colors don't really bother me. Mostly because I hated the way they used purple when they had it. Making it a dark blurple and relegating it to a trim color made it look like they were embarrassed by it. If you're going to wear purple, you need to own it. Be proud of your flamboyance.

Thats a case of poor utilization though, the colour schemes are fine.

Archived