Worst color scheme in the NHL?

Bayne

Tampa Bay's original color scheme of black, white & blue didn't do anything for me. Black/red, black/gold, black/orange, black/silver are pretty common color combinations but black and blue? Come on..

Atlanta is a very close second, no wonder why the team folded.

Colorado, Anaheim (both color schemes), Minnesota, are unique in their own way.

Pittsburgh... changing from the yellow gold to the old gold lost my vote...

Vancouver.. thank god they ditched the black/gold/red. Navy/blue/silver and dark red were really cool. Blue/Green current colors are ok but IMHO they took a step back with that one.

Dallas.. Black as base is cool, but use the dark green and their unis look horrible.. Should've stayed with the kelly green/yellow gold/black when they were in Minnesota.

Black & blue can work if done properly. Tampa's recent uniforms didn't execute this well because the blue was too dark, but in their earlier years they they got it right.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Atlanta didn't fold, they moved, and if you think it was because of the color scheme then that's just idiotic.

I agree about Vancouver though.

lol that's kind of idiotic to suggest that at all.

They did have a REALLY BAD color scheme though...that 10th anniversary logo just summed up the craptasticness so nicely

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa Bay's original color scheme of black, white & blue didn't do anything for me. Black/red, black/gold, black/orange, black/silver are pretty common color combinations but black and blue? Come on..

Atlanta is a very close second, no wonder why the team folded.

Colorado, Anaheim (both color schemes), Minnesota, are unique in their own way.

Pittsburgh... changing from the yellow gold to the old gold lost my vote...

Vancouver.. thank god they ditched the black/gold/red. Navy/blue/silver and dark red were really cool. Blue/Green current colors are ok but IMHO they took a step back with that one.

Dallas.. Black as base is cool, but use the dark green and their unis look horrible.. Should've stayed with the kelly green/yellow gold/black when they were in Minnesota.

Black & blue can work if done properly. Tampa's recent uniforms didn't execute this well because the blue was too dark, but in their earlier years they they got it right.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Atlanta didn't fold, they moved, and if you think it was because of the color scheme then that's just idiotic.

I agree about Vancouver though.

lol that's kind of idiotic to suggest that at all.

You're right, it should've been obvious to me that he was joking. My bad.

Edmonton. I despise their return to the retro colours. They're butt-ugly. At least wear navy blue. They had something original with the copper, and they ditched it to re-clone the Islanders.

I agree it's an awful look--and they used a different blue & orange than the Isles--but it doesn't work.

It's stuck in the early 70's for sure.

their darker blue & copper unis looked good--other than the outdated logo--but the stripes & colours looked good.

Well pre-RBK any way--the stripes they used when they first changed colours

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm not opposed to Black and Vegas Gold, it can be a classy look. But Pittsburgh is doing it wrong.

I didn't care for Pittsburgh's look until I realized their template is a reference to the city's famed Golden Triangle.

Edmonton. I despise their return to the retro colours. They're butt-ugly. At least wear navy blue. They had something original with the copper, and they ditched it to re-clone the Islanders.

I agree it's an awful look--and they used a different blue & orange than the Isles--but it doesn't work.

their darker blue & copper unis looked good--other than the outdated logo--but the stripes & colours looked good.

I'd say Edmonton has at least as much of a claim on blue & orange as the Isles. What point in the NHL's modern history (read: post-original six) was more important to the league's development than Wayne Gretzky's glory years?

I'm not opposed to Black and Vegas Gold, it can be a classy look. But Pittsburgh is doing it wrong.

I didn't care for Pittsburgh's look until I realized their template is a reference to the city's famed Golden Triangle.

I'd say Edmonton has at least as much of a claim on blue & orange as the Isles. What point in the NHL's modern history (read: post-original six) was more important to the league's development than Wayne Gretzky's glory years?

It's not so much who has a claim to it--but the two teams used different shades, and the Oilers started abotu the same time as the ISles--but in the WHA--however their early unis emphasized the orange more than the blue--and looked even worse.

So for me it's nto about which team has the better claim to the colour scheme--but that the Oilers used shades that didn't work as well, and thn they went to the darker blue & copper & it looked good.

the Isles could use a change too--btu their previous changes looked awful.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

It's not so much who has a claim to it--but the two teams used different shades, and the Oilers started abotu the same time as the ISles--but in the WHA--however their early unis emphasized the orange more than the blue--and looked even worse.

So for me it's nto about which team has the better claim to the colour scheme--but that the Oilers used shades that didn't work as well, and thn they went to the darker blue & copper & it looked good.

the Isles could use a change too--btu their previous changes looked awful.

I would agree that one team could stand to (but doesn't necessarily have to) switch to navy blue, even though I generally don't like it when royal blue-clad teams do it. I have a similar (but opposite) problem with the Denver Broncos using navy... leave that for the Bears.

Can we get a CWx comparison of the Islanders and Oilers' colours?

Personally I don't mind that both teams use royal blue and orange. Both looks work for their respective teams. The Oilers should look like they looked during the Gretzky dynasty, not how they looked that one time they almost beat the Carolina Hurricanes. Likewise the Islanders should like they looked during their 70s/80s dynasty, not how they looked that one time Alexei Yashin played for them.

Granted they're using the pre-dynasty striping pattern, but at least the colours are right.

Islanders navy pre-edge jerseys were a fail all around. I like that both they and the Oilers returned to their traditional royal blue and orange looks. We're really going to complain about those two teams having a similar color scheme when half the league is some combo of red and blue?

When I saw this thread, I honestly thought the Wild were going to run away with it. I don't really think there are any terrible color schemes. Some are uninspired and others are downgrades from previous (particularly the Oilers who I think should have stuck with their 90s update; and as I always point out, the Devils), but most, in a vacuum work.

I guess I'll say the Kings. The silver trim of the Gretzky era just worked so much better. At first glance it looks like the Brooklyn Nets scheme. The Ducks, scheme, again, not terrible in and of itself, but it (along with that incredibly uninspired 90s asymmetrical uniform) just seems like such a missed opportunity to have been unique. Post 65 on this thread is by someone shameless promoting his concept. That would have been WAY better for the Ducks; would have set them apart way more than they are now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes well when I asked the question I was encompassing more than just the colors on a piece of paper. I was referring to how they were used and how they looked on TV. I think many teams, maybe 1/3rd of them could use their colors better, and it seems like the Ducks are culprit no.1 for not doing this. I do like their colors, but I can see people's point.

Burgundy and light blue....still don't work for me, sorry! But I think this also falls under the category of teams not using them properly. On their own on a color deck, side by side, those two colors aren't terrible at all.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Islanders navy pre-edge jerseys were a fail all around. I like that both they and the Oilers returned to their traditional royal blue and orange looks. We're really going to complain about those two teams having a similar color scheme when half the league is some combo of red and blue?

My reasons for the Oilers changing are not that the Isles use blue & orange--it's the shades they use--the Oilers shades look awful together.

We all have olcour combos that don't do it for us--some here have mentioned the Canucks Blue & green--they don't like it--I love the colour combo they have--and I'm not a Canucks fan.

So this is a place for us to give our opinions.

I accept that some people like the Oilers' blue & orange combo.

Some like it because of the Gretzky years--some liked it before then, some have no association with thsoe years as they weren't born yet--or at least eren't aware of hockey.

If you like it, fine, I do not.

The Isles match the colours better.

But I'd have no problem with them changing to other colours either.

And the Oilers blue/copper scheme looked great.

In effect, that just means the Oilers go for the bright look, while the Isles are a bit more subdued. I can understand why the Oilers would seem garish, but with the bright lighting that I'm familiar with at Rexall Place, it just works better, for me. Nassau Coliseum is a dingy dump by comparison, and the lighting always seems dim there. And the Isles just don't stand out at all.

spacer.png

I apologize in advance because I have joined this thread late and I have only had the chance to peruse through a couple of pages, but is this argument REALLY centered around which team (Oilers or Islanders) can stake claim to Royal Blue and Orange or am I missing something? If it is, then this is truly a silly argument; they BOTH do because of their history in the league and the fact that they have established a championship pedigree and YES the color scheme works beautifully. Do we have to pull out a color wheel and hold a Color Theory 101 class? Again, maybe I missed a couple of important posts but this seems kind of silly to argue about.

It's a silly argument, in the sense that there are many more teams in the league that use navy blue than royal blue, and that the Isles and Oilers shouldn't have to deal with the thought of "ripping off" the other just because they're the only two teams that use the color.

There are three teams in the Southeast Division that, in varying degrees, feature red, navy, and white. Two teams that wear red/navy get-ups, and three teams that wear navy breezers. In a somewhat ironic sense, the Lightning are actually unique within the division for wearing a lighter blue and no red, thus distancing themselves from the other four teams!

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

But nostalgia. And jersey sales!

Jumping on the Ducks to green bandwagon. Forest Green, Blaze Orange, and Metallic Copper would have been phenomenal. Instead, Burke gently caressed them up.

Like this?

Ducks_zps407bdd79.png

Thread jacking and shameless promotion like a boss :lol:

Holy cow that is good!!!

Archived