Worst color scheme in the NHL?

Bayne

Dallas and Anaheim for the reasons stated above...and Pittsburgh needs to switch from gold back to yellow. To bring something new to the discussion, I'm also not a fan of the Predators...something about their yellow just bothers my eyes.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Ducks fan, the colour scheme has certainly grown on me - there's more orange in my wardrobe nowadays - but the main problem here is that they haven't used these colours effectively enough for their primary uniforms. The shiny metallic gold looks nice an' all, but when I'm watching them on GameCenter Live the gold and orange both sorta just disappear until the camera gets right up close, and they end up looking like a boring black and white team. Only the third jersey gets it right, with orange as the dominant secondary colour instead of a barely visible accent, and that jersey is far more interesting to look at than the primaries. I'm really hoping that jersey, or at least something based on it, becomes the new primary uniform for this team in future.

EDIT: And don't even get me started on the pantone for the Ducks gold. Makes the colour scheme look worse than it actually is.

I think the Penguins have it worse than Anaheim with their own gold. I know folks tend to prefer athletic gold for the Pens, but I think the metallic vegas gold they had on their pre-edge uniforms looked great. Then they had a huge downgrade as apparently switching to Reebok Edge meant they had to ditch the metallic gold in favour of a crappy looking khaki. Even though the Ducks were able to keep theirs.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I think the Penguins have it worse than Anaheim with their own gold. I know folks tend to prefer athletic gold for the Pens, but I think the metallic vegas gold they had on their pre-edge uniforms looked great. Then they had a huge downgrade as apparently switching to Reebok Edge meant they had to ditch the metallic gold in favour of a crappy looking khaki. Even though the Ducks were able to keep theirs.

The Penguins never really ever used a "metallic" Gold; they just shifted from one flat, beige-y Gold to a lighter version:

PittsburghPenguinsGold_2006_SCC_SRGB.pngPittsburghPenguinsGold_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

...however, to be honest - I have seen one official uniform sheet that listed Metallic Gold as an alternate...I assume it was for the crest mark...metallic thread possibly?

The Sharks. Replacing grey with orange and darkening the real really ruined that colour scheme for me.

I don't mind the Ducks' scheme, though it could have been better.

Also, like all other sports, there's too many red, white, and blue teams.

Who would you change? Every red, white, and blue team in the league has a reason to be red, white, and blue.

...however, to be honest - I have seen one official uniform sheet that listed Metallic Gold as an alternate...I assume it was for the crest mark...metallic thread possibly?

It was a metallic thread.

67febe7b6ef8953a.jpg

Technically, that's not "metallic" per se....just the types of fabrics/materials used.

Robison-Anton, Madeira, et al use actual metallic embroidery thread which is what I'm referring to...and would be used in the crest and shoulder patches. Which is not clear from that pic.

Unfortunately, getting thread information from the NHL is pretty difficult; unlike the other major sports leagues, the NHL doesn't usually provide much color information aside from spot colors.

The Sharks. Replacing grey with orange and darkening the teal really ruined that colour scheme for me.

The teal was only darkened for the first season of the redesign. The following year it reverted back to the shade used on the pre-edge jerseys

Who would you change? Every red, white, and blue team in the league has a reason to be red, white, and blue.

Washington should have stayed in Blue Black and Copper... That was a unique and attractive looking scheme. Columbus could easily drop the red for something more original as well.

As for the worst schemes, first prize definitely goes to the Ducks. Had they used jade with those colours like originally planned it'd be a different story.

The Sharks. Replacing grey with orange and darkening the teal really ruined that colour scheme for me.

The teal was only darkened for the first season of the redesign. The following year it reverted back to the shade used on the pre-edge jerseys

Which is still to dark. I prefer the original shade of teal.

Washington should have stayed in Blue Black and Copper... That was a unique and attractive looking scheme. Columbus could easily drop the red for something more original as well.

A team named the Capitals, playing in Washington DC, is allowed to be red, white, and blue. Makes more sense then washed out blue, black, and copper. A look that was thoroughly ruined by their insistence on using that bland Capital Dome logo.

The Blue Jackets also have a claim to red, white, and blue. They're named after the Union armies of the Civil War after all. They could also make the double blue look work, but then everyone would be on their case about jumping on the double blue bandwagon. Essentially they can't win, someone will always complain about them being derivative.

Panthers. That shade of yellow they have needs to be emphasized more, to the point where it's their secondary color (or at least used as much as the navy) since Calgary's dropped the yellow to third-color status.

But nostalgia. And jersey sales!

Jumping on the Ducks to green bandwagon. Forest Green, Blaze Orange, and Metallic Copper would have been phenomenal. Instead, Burke gently caressed them up.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Panthers. That shade of yellow they have needs to be emphasized more, to the point where it's their secondary color (or at least used as much as the navy) since Calgary's dropped the yellow to third-color status.

I never considered the Panthers a red, white, and blue team. The yellow/gold is enough to differentiate their scheme, in my opinion. I agree that it's underused currently, though. Their inaugural set had the perfect colour balance, I think.

Kings & Ducks

Kings looked best in their original purple and gold back in the 60s. The monochrome look is dull. Unfortunately they won a championship in it so we're likely stuck with it. If they won a championship wearing a Ronald McDonald look (like they Kalamazoo Wings did one night a few years back) I'm sure they would even stick with that look.

Anahiem has never got it right. The black, bronze, orange, and white in it's present look is not as dull as the Kings. The present colours of the jersey could work if they had a mallard duck logo that had their current colours along with a bright green.

The present 'logo' (or really lack there of ) makes a jersey that is already understated in colour bland.

For a kind of comparison the colours in feathers and shoulder patches of the Blackhawks logos add a certain something to the classic Blackhawks look. It wouldn't be quite as good of a look with just using only the red, white and black colours of the jersey in the logos.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived