Worst color scheme in the NHL?

Bayne

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second worst would have to be the Ducks. All they have to do is drop either the gold or orange and they'll have a good scheme, but right now it just look laughably ridiculous.

Going either way would make it worse. Losing orange would make it incredibly boring, and losing gold will draw cries of them ripping off the Flyers.

It's bad enough that you can barely see the orange on TV. Unless it's just me and my laptop screen.

no.png

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Ducks lose either one of their current complimentary colors and then they too closely resemble one of the Pennsylvania teams.

Would love to see the black replaced with a hunter green color, and the orange made more prominent, and if you do keep the gold just reduce down to a very minimal accent color. Those are "duck" colors.

You forgot the Rangers.

I love everything about the Blue Jackets uniforms and logo package. So.........

Dammit I did.

Regardless, the Blue Jackets are basically trying to look like the Patriots on ice, and without the dark contrasting surroundings typically providing the backdrop in football games, nothing stands out. The Lightning have the same problem, as do the Ducks or any other hockey team that is dark. There's no better sport than hockey to wear bright colors, IMHO, and because the Blue Jackets are pretty much navy/white with a splash of red, I don't feel like they're pronounced enough on the ice to make me say, "They may not be the most fun to watch play, but they at least look decent." I think even some Jackets fans could agree that there's so much potential behind their brand that what they currently have is intensely underwhelming.

Obviously you're a huge fan of their look, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I get ranty sometimes and now you probably think I'm a dick. That's alright, too.

I get ranty too so I don't think you're a dick at all. The comments about the "roster full of the dregs of the league" and "vagabond roster of NHL nothingness" feel out of line in a thread about color scheme. Especially odd considering I could've used those exact words to describe the Chicago Blackhawks less than 6 years ago.

Blue Jackets would've been about the last name I would've chosen to brand my hockey team with, and I think they really whiffed on their first try, but they knocked it out of the park with the C star logo and the secondary cap logo. I think they've done about as good a job as they could with the name Blue Jackets. The primary represents the city well and the secondary drives home the team nickname. I haven't liked many attempts that have jumped head first into using civil war imagery like soldiers or cannons. Even my own efforts have come up short and I'm a guy who tends to fall in love with my own work.

I did like Fraser's SB nation logo http://www.jacketscannon.com/

I like Columbus's logo. Ohio is one of the few unique state flags out there. However, the similarities to the Patriots in NOBs, numbers, and swooshy stripey logo thing, now cannot be unseen.

The Ohio flag is pretty cool, but by having it swoop around a hokey warped star it feels like one of the lame "Create-a-Team" logos leftover in NHL 09.

I think they're one of the few teams that could actually get away with a roundel if they utilized more of the Civil War influence. Their alternate's got a decent crest, cool numerals, and a much more unique shade of blue, but naturally they neuter that inventiveness by adding the light blue that trended throughout the league like a staph infection. Plus those sweaters basically look like the Jets' now, which isn't a compliment to either team.

The flag is wrapped around the star to form a C. I hope I didn't need to explain that to you.

I also want to point out that the royal blue and navy third uniforms came before the Jets decided to use the exact same colors for their everyday uniforms. I wouldn't hate it if they changed the royal blue stripes on the thirds to a burgundy and beat Colorado to navy blue and burgundy.

I would be content if they never change their uniforms again. I hope the current set is still the uniform when we win the Stanley Cup in 2026.

fixed that for ya. :)

sig.png

2026 eh? I'll be 38 years old by then which is still young enough to celebrate appropriately, but not so old that I become one of those "now I can die in peace" jackasses.

I'm only asking for one Stanley Cup in my lifetime so I can live with that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Tampa+Bay+Lightning+4ZGh49yaJiFl.jpg

Where does the blue end and the black begin? If I wasn't such a uni-nut, I'd have no idea. Yeah, there's silver, and because of that, the BOLTS alternates aren't that bad, but it's a tertiary color, and rarely used. The only saving grace in this scheme is marginalized, to the team's detriment. In fact, the only time you can distinguish the blue and black is on the pants, and only because white or silver separates the colors. Otherwise, they blend together and it's awful. Light color and a dark color! Or two light colors if you have to! But never two dark!

Which is why it was a huge mistake for them to drop the electric/Hawaiian blue and switch to Maple Leafs blue:

TampaBayLightning_FRC_2001_SCC_SRGB.png

TampaBayLightning_FRC_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Tampa+Bay+Lightning+4ZGh49yaJiFl.jpg

Where does the blue end and the black begin? If I wasn't such a uni-nut, I'd have no idea. Yeah, there's silver, and because of that, the BOLTS alternates aren't that bad, but it's a tertiary color, and rarely used. The only saving grace in this scheme is marginalized, to the team's detriment. In fact, the only time you can distinguish the blue and black is on the pants, and only because white or silver separates the colors. Otherwise, they blend together and it's awful. Light color and a dark color! Or two light colors if you have to! But never two dark!

Which is why it was a huge mistake for them to drop the electric/Hawaiian blue and switch to Maple Leafs blue:

TampaBayLightning_FRC_2001_SCC_SRGB.png

TampaBayLightning_FRC_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

You're absolutely right. That shade of blue is way too dark to be paired with black, especially with nothing to separate them. What were they thinking?

The Lightning have something to go on with black and Hawaiian blue.

The Ducks have something to go on with green and orange.

The Kings have something to go on with purple and gold.

The Avs have something to go on with just burgundy and blue.

Etcetera, etcetera.

But none of them do. Why? Because F originality that's why. I wonder what it'll take for certain teams to stop messing around and fix their brands

Midway.png

Tampa Bay's original color scheme of black, white & blue didn't do anything for me. Black/red, black/gold, black/orange, black/silver are pretty common color combinations but black and blue? Come on..

Atlanta is a very close second, no wonder why the team folded.

Colorado, Anaheim (both color schemes), Minnesota, are unique in their own way.

Pittsburgh... changing from the yellow gold to the old gold lost my vote...

Vancouver.. thank god they ditched the black/gold/red. Navy/blue/silver and dark red were really cool. Blue/Green current colors are ok but IMHO they took a step back with that one.

Dallas.. Black as base is cool, but use the dark green and their unis look horrible.. Should've stayed with the kelly green/yellow gold/black when they were in Minnesota.

Black & blue can work if done properly. Tampa's recent uniforms didn't execute this well because the blue was too dark, but in their earlier years they they got it right.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Atlanta didn't fold, they moved, and if you think it was because of the color scheme then that's just idiotic.

I agree about Vancouver though.

Tampa should be wearing blue jerseys and socks with black helmets and pants (like their alternates except with the logo replacing BOLTS). Nobody else is wearing that combo right now. It would be theirs and theirs alone and would solve the problem inherent to black and blue where the blue gets hidden by the black.

I'm a uniform genius.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My vote is for Anaheim. Unattractive color scheme that doesn't fit with their nickname or the city they play in. The orange and gold remind me of autumn. Anaheim doesn't have an autumn.

I don't mind the Ducks color scheme. The orange represents Orange County. It could also represent the duck's bill and feet. It's also ironically the color of the vests that duck hunters wear. Anaheim does have autumns, just not as dramatic as other places, but it does get fall foliage like other parts of the country. The Ducks colors remind me more of Halloween than autumn in general, and hockey season starts in October so it works for me.

Tampa should be wearing blue jerseys and socks with black helmets and pants (like their alternates except with the logo replacing BOLTS). Nobody else is wearing that combo right now. It would be theirs and theirs alone and would solve the problem inherent to black and blue where the blue gets hidden by the black.

I'm a uniform genius.

Well, yeah. Swap the nickname with a crest, remove the useless gray piping and black pitstains, and go with the original blue, and, yeah, that would be an outstanding and original look for the Lightning.

Although my personal preference has always sided towards black jerseys with this team, I could live with that.

spacer.png

2026 eh? I'll be 38 years old by then which is still young enough to celebrate appropriately, but not so old that I become one of those "now I can die in peace" jackasses.

If they ever get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, that will get a check on my bucket list.

So I guess there's no sympathy from you when the Cubs, or any Cleveland team or any other similar team wins it all. No feeling sorry for older fans for waiting a long time before seeing their first title. No approval of seeing those fans cry for waiting so damn long.

As a fan who never thought I would, in a trillion years, see the Cup be won, it's another experience checked off my championship round table. All I have to do is see a Dodgers World Series winner, and my lifetime sports experience is set.*

*Being a Raiders fan in LA, I would not give a rat's @$$ who moves to this market. I would applaud it for the NFL finally commuting a team in SoCal (and not using us as dynamite for other franchise's stadium finances), but the love for the Raiders is too big.

Anyone wanna hear my old opinion on how Tampa should he using neon yellow as a tertiary color since that's sorta the color associated with lightning?

Sure. Personally I would be fine with never seeing that color in the NHL ever again after Columbus' use of it, but hey I'm open to persuasion.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Tampa Bay's original color scheme of black, white & blue didn't do anything for me. Black/red, black/gold, black/orange, black/silver are pretty common color combinations but black and blue? Come on..

Atlanta is a very close second, no wonder why the team folded.

Colorado, Anaheim (both color schemes), Minnesota, are unique in their own way.

Pittsburgh... changing from the yellow gold to the old gold lost my vote...

Vancouver.. thank god they ditched the black/gold/red. Navy/blue/silver and dark red were really cool. Blue/Green current colors are ok but IMHO they took a step back with that one.

Dallas.. Black as base is cool, but use the dark green and their unis look horrible.. Should've stayed with the kelly green/yellow gold/black when they were in Minnesota.

Black & blue can work if done properly. Tampa's recent uniforms didn't execute this well because the blue was too dark, but in their earlier years they they got it right.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Atlanta didn't fold, they moved, and if you think it was because of the color scheme then that's just idiotic.

I agree about Vancouver though.

lol that's kind of idiotic to suggest that at all.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived