Worst color scheme in the NHL?

Bayne

A team named the Capitals, playing in Washington DC, is allowed to be red, white, and blue. Makes more sense then washed out blue, black, and copper. A look that was thoroughly ruined by their insistence on using that bland Capital Dome logo.

It's definitely allowed, I'm just saying the 90's colours were more original and attractive (in my opinion anyways). I agree with you about the Capitol dome logo though. That black jersey never should have been made the home.

The Blue Jackets also have a claim to red, white, and blue. They're named after the Union armies of the Civil War after all. They could also make the double blue look work, but then everyone would be on their case about jumping on the double blue bandwagon. Essentially they can't win, someone will always complain about them being derivative.

I think the double blue look would work for the Blue Jackets. No team wears a double blue look full time and the current third is easily the best of the three jerseys.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbus.

Everything about their logos and colors is empty and void of unique flavor.

200px-Columbus_BlueJackets.svg.png

The uninventive names for the colors (union blue, capital silver, goal red) are nearly as insipid as the colors themselves. If they still had that bizarre neon green there'd be no doubt who would top this list.

A dull logo that ironically looks like an all-star game design is splattered across the chests of a roster full of the dregs of the league. Their uniforms somehow seem less colorful under the arena lights, and their opponents routinely make Columbus look terrible both on the ice and on the camera.

Red, white, and blue is already about as redundant a color scheme as it gets in sports, but Columbus somehow sucks every ounce of life out of it, just like their vagabond roster of NHL nothingness.

--------

Meanwhile the Minnesota Wild have a fairly good color scheme and not found almost anywhere in sports.

200px-Minnesota_Wild.svg.png

The red/green is something that sports need more of, and while their current uniforms are misappropriating red as the primary color (not to mention the stupid roundel and bizarre uniform layout on the whole), the colors and strong logo are enough to plant the seed for a great uniform set eventually.

To stick with the color argument, it's not fair to say "well those are christmas colors, so they suck." There's no other team in the league that uses those colors, and that right there is the first sign you're doing something right in branding your franchise (unless your colors are periwinkle and other pastels, in which case you should be fired immediately).

----

Not only do 3 other teams in the NHL wear virtually the same colors as Columbus (Montreal, Washington, and pretty much Colorado), Columbus couldn't take the most default color scheme in all of sports and do something inventive with it. They couldn't think outside of the box for a palette that doesn't require thinking at all.

It's as if the people responsible for branding Columbus would require a 30-day window to complete this game:

Tupperware-Shape-O-Toy.jpg

Please note that the stupid shape game has a more unique color palette than the Blue Jackets.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm really surprised no one else thinks that Colorado's colors (while good on a color deck in a design studio) are poorly translated to a TV screen. I really don't think it does their jerseys justice.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I don't really know so much that any NHL team has a particularly "bad" color scheme...but some definitely make "bad use of the ones they have. Anaheim's been mentioned ad nauseum. We can add the Wild to that as well...they had it right the first time with their inaugural sets (which made great use of a criminally underused color scheme), and have been free-falling backwards ever since. It appears the Stars have realized the error of their ways and will soon again prominently feature their green. I don't even mind the Kings's black/white/silver, just not in its current arrangement. I will say, though, they should have never left those purple/black/silver sweaters alone...my two cents, that's the best they ever looked (well, minus the "LOS ANGELES" across the bottoms of the fronts).

For me, though, if I had to pick one, it's the Penguins. I understand it's Mario Lemieux's thing, and it'd work if he/they just used a much richer gold, or even the shiny fabric in the Penguins jersey posted a page or two back. As it is, though, they're using something akin to khaki and it is just so drab, so boring. I'm not saying they need to go back to "Pittsburgh gold" (though I and I'm sure most of y'all would love it if they did), but if Mario is hellbent on metallic gold, a richer hue would definitely be the way to go. (The shade of gold or atthe least a fabric color akin to what the 49ers had up until about two or three years ago would probably be about perfect.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Add me to the list of people who find the Kings black, white and silver to be dull. Adding purple to that made for a fantastic colour combination for them. Plus, I kinda liked the whole orange VS purple thing the Ducks and Kings had going on, and now they both look really bland unless either team pulls out their third jersey.

Also, I'm not a fan of their purple and yellow throwbacks. Way too garish.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Columbus.

Everything about their logos and colors is empty and void of unique flavor.

200px-Columbus_BlueJackets.svg.png

The uninventive names for the colors (union blue, capital silver, goal red) are nearly as insipid as the colors themselves. If they still had that bizarre neon green there'd be no doubt who would top this list.

A dull logo that ironically looks like an all-star game design is splattered across the chests of a roster full of the dregs of the league. Their uniforms somehow seem less colorful under the arena lights, and their opponents routinely make Columbus look terrible both on the ice and on the camera.

Red, white, and blue is already about as redundant a color scheme as it gets in sports, but Columbus somehow sucks every ounce of life out of it, just like their vagabond roster of NHL nothingness.

--------

Meanwhile the Minnesota Wild have a fairly good color scheme and not found almost anywhere in sports.

200px-Minnesota_Wild.svg.png

The red/green is something that sports need more of, and while their current uniforms are misappropriating red as the primary color (not to mention the stupid roundel and bizarre uniform layout on the whole), the colors and strong logo are enough to plant the seed for a great uniform set eventually.

To stick with the color argument, it's not fair to say "well those are christmas colors, so they suck." There's no other team in the league that uses those colors, and that right there is the first sign you're doing something right in branding your franchise (unless your colors are periwinkle and other pastels, in which case you should be fired immediately).

----

Not only do 3 other teams in the NHL wear virtually the same colors as Columbus (Montreal, Washington, and pretty much Colorado), Columbus couldn't take the most default color scheme in all of sports and do something inventive with it. They couldn't think outside of the box for a palette that doesn't require thinking at all.

It's as if the people responsible for branding Columbus would require a 30-day window to complete this game:

Tupperware-Shape-O-Toy.jpg

Please note that the stupid shape game has a more unique color palette than the Blue Jackets.

You forgot the Rangers.

I love everything about the Blue Jackets uniforms and logo package. So.........

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also, like all other sports, there's too many red, white, and blue teams.

Who would you change? Every red, white, and blue team in the league has a reason to be red, white, and blue.

Panthers. That shade of yellow they have needs to be emphasized more, to the point where it's their secondary color (or at least used as much as the navy) since Calgary's dropped the yellow to third-color status.

I agree here. Florida's yellow is a beautiful colour and i wish it was emphasized more. i really love the yellow fan jersey that was made:

1d5df.png

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

I think all of the teams have great colors, however there's something about Colorado's burgundy and blue that doesn't work for me, mainly when I see the colors on the ice. They just seem daggy. They don't pop out at me and always look kinda dull on TV.

Anyone else have other teams?

Colorado post-edge transformation. Before (cup-winning era) the burgundy and blue worked well together because it was balanced nicely with white. It was one of the nicest looks in the NHL. Now it seems that it was just thrown together.

sig.png

Also, like all other sports, there's too many red, white, and blue teams.

Who would you change? Every red, white, and blue team in the league has a reason to be red, white, and blue.

Panthers. That shade of yellow they have needs to be emphasized more, to the point where it's their secondary color (or at least used as much as the navy) since Calgary's dropped the yellow to third-color status.

I agree here. Florida's yellow is a beautiful colour and i wish it was emphasized more. i really love the yellow fan jersey that was made:

Florida's Yellow = Boston's Gold, Buffalo's Gold, Nashville's Gold, St. Louis's Gold.

Same color.

Can't find a good pic, but the Predators' yellow set doesn't work for me.

The yellow itself is actually great, and contrasts well with the dark tones, but they use both a deep navy AND black on the uniform, which I'm not crazy about. From a distance it's not noticeable, but up close doesn't look so hot.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Can't find a good pic, but the Predators' yellow set doesn't work for me.

The yellow itself is actually great, and contrasts well with the dark tones, but they use both a deep navy AND black on the uniform, which I'm not crazy about. From a distance it's not noticeable, but up close doesn't look so hot.

No they don't. Just Gold (Yellow) and Navy.

At the Ducks' training camp this year they had some trucks parked outside Honda Center, and I could have sworn there was a green outline to the logos on the trucks. Alas, I took no pictures, but those trucks should be around during games.

You forgot the Rangers.

I love everything about the Blue Jackets uniforms and logo package. So.........

Dammit I did.

Regardless, the Blue Jackets are basically trying to look like the Patriots on ice, and without the dark contrasting surroundings typically providing the backdrop in football games, nothing stands out. The Lightning have the same problem, as do the Ducks or any other hockey team that is dark. There's no better sport than hockey to wear bright colors, IMHO, and because the Blue Jackets are pretty much navy/white with a splash of red, I don't feel like they're pronounced enough on the ice to make me say, "They may not be the most fun to watch play, but they at least look decent." I think even some Jackets fans could agree that there's so much potential behind their brand that what they currently have is intensely underwhelming.

Obviously you're a huge fan of their look, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I get ranty sometimes and now you probably think I'm a dick. That's alright, too.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like Columbus's logo. Ohio is one of the few unique state flags out there. However, the similarities to the Patriots in NOBs, numbers, and swooshy stripey logo thing, now cannot be unseen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like Columbus's logo. Ohio is one of the few unique state flags out there. However, the similarities to the Patriots in NOBs, numbers, and swooshy stripey logo thing, now cannot be unseen.

The Ohio flag is pretty cool, but by having it swoop around a hokey warped star it feels like one of the lame "Create-a-Team" logos leftover in NHL 09.

I think they're one of the few teams that could actually get away with a roundel if they utilized more of the Civil War influence. Their alternate's got a decent crest, cool numerals, and a much more unique shade of blue, but naturally they neuter that inventiveness by adding the light blue that trended throughout the league like a staph infection. Plus those sweaters basically look like the Jets' now, which isn't a compliment to either team.

twitter

Archived