Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

No tam is more symbolic of that than the CCSLC's favorite whipping team, the Phoenix Coyotes.

It was heinous that they reached the Conference Finals last season. Of course, it helped that there was a series against the Predators, where one of those teams had to win.

Man the WC was a trainwreck in 2012.

spacer.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No tam is more symbolic of that than the CCSLC's favorite whipping team, the Phoenix Coyotes.

It was heinous that they reached the Conference Finals last season. Of course, it helped that there was a series against the Predators, where one of those teams had to win.

The Coyotes making it the Western Conference Finals, in retrospect, was a good thing. Them beating Nashville dispelled that ridiculous notion last year that the Predators were the NHL's elite team (seriously, go back and read some old posts from last year, some people were actually saying that). And their loss in the Western Conference Finals in Glendale really did expose the team and segments of their fanbase as the whiny, self-entitled pricks that they are.

Because "every team is equally average, pick one" is bad marketing. And the dirty open secret of NHL parity is that it's most often achieved by the inferior team dragging the superior team down to its level by playing five men back and waiting for a lucky transition play. Pittsburgh-Long Island was an outlier in that the Isles just fired a crapton of pucks at Fleury knowing that he would eventually let a few in, but most of these upsets are just hours upon hours of good luck and risk aversion. I mean, what is this Rangers-Capitals series, even. And God help us all if the Wild had dragged the Blackhawks to seven with their plodding brand of shot-blocking and unpenalized interference. That wouldn't have been a "hard-fought battle," it just would have been delaying the inevitable. That's the thing about hockey. In baseball, if you achieve a momentous upset, it's because you pitched, hit, and fielded better. You can't fake it with zone defense.

True but having a situation where 25 out of 30 are told "Hey you have no chance in :censored:ing hell at winning a title but come watch Lebron" is not fun either.

Yes I can see your point how parking the bus on defense can make for some not so thrilling TV.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The Coyotes making it the Western Conference Finals, in retrospect, was a good thing. Them beating Nashville dispelled that ridiculous notion last year that the Predators were the NHL's elite team (seriously, go back and read some old posts from last year, some people were actually saying that). And their loss in the Western Conference Finals in Glendale really did expose the team and segments of their fanbase as the whiny, self-entitled pricks that they are.

You know, dammit, I've tried to not make this comment, but I really have to point out that your handle reminds me way too much of an old favorite Sonic level.

483960_410778298971278_587970553_n.jpg

430291_408140995901675_1912745067_n.jpg

--

Not going to say you're wrong, because I'm certain the posts do exist. That said, it is pretty comical to me that a team that's entire identity was built around Rinne, Weber, and Suter and a bunch of 3rd line forwards, could really hold the elite label. I mean, jeez, remove one of those defensive components, and they go from a 4th place WC team to a 14th place WC team. The shame was that we had to endure a playoff series between those two, one which, admittedly, was entertaining at first (4-3 and 5-3 decisions) and then shifted into the unwatchable slogfest we all expected.

None of us may exactly like teams such as the Canucks, or the Red Wings, or the Blackhawks, but it does nobody any good to have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kane, and Toews sitting at home while we are treated to Legwand and Fiddler.

At least the WC destruction provided an all-time favorite .gif of mine (and Zach :P ).

MIKE-SMITH-NAILS-DUSTIN-BROWN.gif

spacer.png

Bruins have to close this out tonight. They won't win a game seven at home. Plus, for the second straight game, they're treating it like a meaningless game in the middle of December. No urgency at all.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Bruins are :censored:ed. If you want to be a spectator, that's fine, but sit on the bench and do it. Still seeing no urgency and they're back to their 2010 "fancy at all costs" type attitude towards goals.

At least pretend like you care, B's. This is embarrassing.

what the hell is ccslc?

Heh....just as I was typing this, the CBC guys just brought it up.....

It looks like the Bruins' last week of the schedule is hurting them for the playoffs. The snowstorm that postponed the Tampa game and the makeup game due to the bombings (5 games in the last 8 days, right?) back-loaded their schedule....coupled with the ramped-up intensity of the playoffs....sure does look like a tired and disinterested Bruins team right now.

It's a shame, too. They're the only team that stands a real chance against the Penguins in the East half of the bracket......

Down by two with four minutes left and they're trying to get fancy with it. Just shoot the damn puck! You're not a finesse team, Bruins. Stop acting like you are. Last time you did, you blew at 3-0 series lead.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived