Rolando McClain Retires at 23 - Best quote ever in article

nuordr

Rolando McClain who recently signed with the Baltimore Ravens has retired according to USA Today. The best news about his article is the reaction from his grandmother, Rachel Ervin, who was shocked when she heard the news:

"He did what now?" she said to

He retired.

"Who did?"

Rolando.

"Oh, Lord have mercy," she said.

I would love to see a video clip of this interview as I believe it would be hilarious. Now back to the story, I believe it is a shame that he has retired when he probably has at least 8 solid years left in him if not more. I hope this young man gets his life together as he has been given a great gift and now he is ruining it.

spacer.png

Anyone know why he retired?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well, "retirement" doesn't mean anything. He could spend a season "getting his act together" then come back next year. Not sure if he'd be bound to the Ravens still (probably), but still "retirement" at that age is the same as saying "taking a year off".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, "retirement" doesn't mean anything. He could spend a season "getting his act together" then come back next year. Not sure if he'd be bound to the Ravens still (probably), but still "retirement" at that age is the same as saying "taking a year off".

Then maybe he should have said I'm going to take a sabbatical...

I saw, I came, I left.

My understanding is that retirement (filing paperwork with the league) terminates a contract, but the team continues to retain the player's rights for the original duration of that contract.

So retiring wouldn't get him out of Baltimore any quicker (unless it demonstrates a willingness to sit rather than play and therefore forces the team to trade him).

"He has been given a great gift and now he is ruining it".

*scratches head*

...What now??

I don't know dude's backstory or what prompted this decision, but it's entirely possible he has other more important things going on in histhe life besides football, or, to paraphrase Barry Sanders while on the cusp of acheiving an all-time record, "his desire to leave the game is greater than his desire to remain it". Sometimes it really can be that simple.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"He has been given a great gift and now he is ruining it".

*scratches head*

...What now??

I don't know dude's backstory or what prompted this decision, but it's entirely possible he has other more important things going on in histhe life besides football, or, to paraphrase Barry Sanders while on the cusp of acheiving an all-time record, "his desire to leave the game is greater than his desire to remain it". Sometimes it really can be that simple.

This really isn't like when another Alabama player retired to become a clergyman in Glen Coffee.

McClain had been arrested three times in the last 16 months. Charges, which were the most serious, were convictions for third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment and illegal discharge of a firearm in the city limits. He put a gun to a guy's head, but hose charges were dismissed on appeal after the accuser refused to testify at the appeal. The other charges are minor, like resisting arrest and a window tint violation/providing false information.

As BBTV stated, hopefully, this is to get his life back in order, otherwise, you may want to put McClain in your 2014 Fatal 40 list or jailed like Jimmy Smith.

I was promised the best quote ever.

That wasn't the best quote I've heard in the last 15 minutes.

Maybe not the best, but when you imagine a grandmother being shocked like her, it is pretty funny. At least me and several co-workers thought it was. To each their own.

spacer.png

Archived