Goalie Equipment: Post Trade/Call Up

billman29

GG74.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

That's Brett Leonhardt. He works for the Caps and was an EBUG for them. He played collegiately first for Oswego State before transferring to Neumann College. That's his mask from Neumann.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I don't know what's worse, Hackett with a Montreal mask on the Bruins, or this gem. Shawn Hunwick

shawn-hunwick-columbus-blue-jackets-thumb-590x400-107419.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Are there examples of goalies wearing the old pads against their old team? That would be fascinating

During his journeyman stint, Ozzie did this a couple times. Osgood vs Wings in Wings pads (also pictured, Bett Hull...):

sportsRedWings_t640.jpg

Then in his Islanders pads in St. Louis. Dude couldn't catch a break:

OSGOOD0001_20101115432.gif

And here's a bonus: Bob Essensa in Oilers pads in a Picasso Coyotes uniform. Yikes.

essensa.jpg

I don't know what's worse, Hackett with a Montreal mask on the Bruins, or this gem. Shawn Hunwick

shawn-hunwick-columbus-blue-jackets-thumb-590x400-107419.jpg

How did I forget about Shaun Hunwick? Fun story here - Shaun Hunwick was signed to an amateur try-out contract because the 2011-2012 Blue Jackets goaltending was a mess and Curtis Sanford got injured so they needed a backup goaltender on emergency. Hence the Michigan mask on a team in Columbus. Mason played that game, Hunwick only got time in warmups.

BUT during the last game of the season the Blue Jackets were up 7-3 on the Islanders so Todd Richards let Hunwick play the final two minutes and 33 seconds this time in a generic white mask. He never faced a shot. A real Moonlight Graham story if I've ever heard one.

Qqzeh.png

He'll probably never make it back to the NHL. Played 8 games last season for the Iserlohn Roosters and 11 games in the ECHL.

edit: also the last appearance of Rick Nash with the Blue Jackets in that video.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I always liked that fact that Johan Hedberg wore his Manitoba Moose mask when he arrived in Pittsburgh. He actually had a Penguins mask painted and ready to wear, but he played so well with the Moose mask that superstition prevented him from changing. The fans at Mellon Arena would chant "Moose" when he would make a big save and the identity stuck.

6885420257_03a6ffc072_z.jpg.

Regarding Hunwick the story I heard was the team bought him that new mask as an extra compensation beyond the (relative) pittance his few days, pro-rated, tryout contract would land him. Not a bad deal, a pro level mask like that is very pricey even without custom fitting.

Archived