wyopokes2's NFL (Patriots & Browns)

wyopokes2

In all of my years making concepts, I have never done an NFL concept before! I have only ever dealt with high school and college. I do however follow the NFL very closely so it's strange that I've never had the desire to do one. I hadn't made a concept in quite some time here on the boards, so I felt like throwing my hat into the ring. One team that I think could use an update is the New England Patriots. I wanted to incorporate elements from the past with some new flavors. The changed the facemask on the helmet to gray because one of my personal favorite helmets that the Pats have ever warn were these. Instead of a throwback as an alt, I added a red jersey alt that is similar to what they wear as throwbacks. I did a little updating to the wordmark they released and based my number font off of that. I'd love to know what you all think. I've got a few teams lined up that I would like to do. Sound off below with some comments

(Oh and ps I know the Nike is put on the shoulders in the NFL. I just hate it and think it looks better on the chest). I should also explain I went with a silver helmet instead of white to make it so that the AFC East wouldn't have 4 teams with it and to separate them from the Bills a bit.

6325230_orig.jpg8752936_orig.jpg6036688_orig.jpg

Home:

2507104_orig.png

Away:

2192815_orig.png

Alt:

3929356_orig.png

Maybe its my screen but are there stripes on the away and alternate numbers? i enjoy the number font though.i would maybe add a stripe on the helmet and i think the home and alt could use more white in the design. btw what temp is that?

There are 2 subtle stripes in the numbers. I wish I could say they had a cool back story, but to be honest I put them there because I felt like they made it look more patriotic. Kind of reminded me of old glory without violating the flag code. I have a feeling that they may not be well liked but the Patriots have had worse subtle patterns.

The top template is something I threw together quick in photoshop. The bottom part is a mash up of a couple of things. The pants are I believe are from Andrew Harrington. The helmets are from Thomas Hatfield. The jersey is something I traced up based on the Arizona Wildcats release.

Maybe its my screen but are there stripes on the away and alternate numbers? i enjoy the number font though.i would maybe add a stripe on the helmet and i think the home and alt could use more white in the design. btw what temp is that?

There are 2 subtle stripes in the numbers. I wish I could say they had a cool back story, but to be honest I put them there because I felt like they made it look more patriotic. Kind of reminded me of old glory without violating the flag code. I have a feeling that they may not be well liked but the Patriots have had worse subtle patterns.

The top template is something I threw together quick in photoshop. The bottom part is a mash up of a couple of things. The pants are I believe are from Andrew Harrington. The helmets are from Thomas Hatfield. The jersey is something I traced up based on the Arizona Wildcats release.

could you send me it, ive needed a good psd template, havent found one that ive liked

These look great. I'm not sure how I feel about the stripes in the numbers... but I love the new typeface! I think the new typeface and the addition of a red jersey give the new look a slight Red Sox vibe (which has obvious benefits).

sig-01_zpsb2ab3976.png

Thought I'd throw up another that I had completed. Here's the Cleveland Browns. I have a feeling that these won't be very well liked but here me out. I wanted to make the Browns, simply put, more brown. I like my school's brown/brown helmets and I think that it would look good on a pro team with the name. The stripes come from the alternate "B football" logo. The pants are interchangeable. I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out. How bad did I destroy them?

9555121_orig.jpg7015945_orig.jpg2059362_orig.jpg

Home

7898609_orig.png

Away

9868150_orig.png

Alternate

4867014_orig.png

I really like both of these. The Pats are a huge improvement. Love the number font. Not sold on the contrasting collar and cuffs though, especially with how huge the flywire collar is. I really like the Browns, too. The pointed stripes work with the B-football logo, and I'm a fan of the numbers. I like the looks of the brown helmet, but for a team who's logo has always been their orange helmet I'm not sure it would ever happen.

patriots - i really love this design. but i wonder how Pats fans would feel about having a full time jersey that is reflective of the stripes as 2 of their biggest rivals, Colts and Jets?? as a pure concept, it look s fantastic and they have them in their history. but real world application, i dont know . .

i think the number font is a good foundation to start with but it needs some work. personally, i dont like the spurs on the numbers but the biggest thing might be legibility, at least with the 2. i would make those serifs smaller, giving the number some more negative space so it reads clearly as a 2, not an 8

browns - i want to NOT like this number font, but i cant. i do think it needs to be thicker on the jersey though. the helmet number might work better without a stroke

the jersey template looks fantastic BTW

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Patriots - Very nice overall. The stripes in the numbers really don't add anything, IMO. Do the pants stripes curve to the back? I think it'd look better if you kept them straight down. I don't mind the gray mask, but I'm not sure it's as strong as the current red mask.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thought I'd throw up another that I had completed. Here's the Cleveland Browns. I have a feeling that these won't be very well liked but here me out. I wanted to make the Browns, simply put, more brown. I like my school's brown/brown helmets and I think that it would look good on a pro team with the name. The stripes come from the alternate "B football" logo. The pants are interchangeable. I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out. How bad did I destroy them?

9555121_orig.jpg7015945_orig.jpg2059362_orig.jpg

Home

7898609_orig.png

Away

9868150_orig.png

Alternate

4867014_orig.png

Brown helmets don't work with them. Either orange helmets with orange pants or just think of another idea to recreate them. I would just ditch the five sleeve stripes for like how Green Bay has their stripe patters and use that.

Plus, white facemask on the helmets. And then white block numbers with orange trim would do nicely.

With that look, I would rather he keep the silver helmets for New England. The white helmets with the "Flying Elvis" logo has been done to death too much. Silver helmets with that design looks much better.

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm gonna make a few changes to both, however I'm gonna try and step out of the comfort zone with a few teams. We've all seen so many concepts that essentially are the same and I really want to put out stuff that stands apart. Something that is new, and in some cases probably not liked by traditionalists. As far as changes, here is what you can expect in the coming days before I head off:

Patriots:

-Going to remove the stripes off of the Patriots numbers

-Fix the font a bit as Brandon suggested

-Call it completed

Browns:

-Remove stroke from number helmet

-Fix the number weight on the jersey

-I should note that the numbers are throwback inspired on this (from this helmet) and looked damn good on the Oilers throwbacks

Right now it's a tossup between the Bucs, Titans, and Jaguars as the next team. Stay tuned folks. Should be up by at latest next Monday with the Holiday approaching

Archived