NFL Expansion Cities?

Beluga4

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seattle.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Can they really support a team?

If they can support the Spurs, yes. Football is king down in Texas, and San Antonio isn't a large university town.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

If they can support the Spurs, yes. Football is king down in Texas, and San Antonio isn't a large university town.

That a smaller city supports one team well isn't necessarily a good reason to give them another. They might well be tapped out - is the corporate base large enough to put up all the cash they'll be expected to?

Not to mention that the NBA's business model, where they're quite happy being a large fish in a small pond, doesn't perfectly mesh with the NFL's.

I don't really remember but how receptive was San Antonio when the Saints played there after Katrina hit? Was there a buzz around town and did fans come out to watch them play? I think that has to play a factor into whether a team ever relocates there.

I'm also in agreement that we're not going to see anymore expansion teams, atleast not for awhile. Relocation is the best bet.

Relocation much more likely than expansion

Los Angeles Bulldogs

San Antonio Gunslingers

Las Vegas Bandits

Anaheim Avengers

Portland Breakers

Mexico City Aztecs

Norfolk Navigators

Toronto Bills

London Monarchs

Vancouver Vipers

Are the NFL going to wait forever for someone to relocate to LA? Then once you've got one expansion team, you almost have to commit to two for balance. Then it comes down to who wants to pay the most and can show they will bring value to the league. Does Texas need 3 NFL teams? Is it football, or college football Texans are really into? Is San Antonio a big enough city for the NFL? (Many of those are genuine questions). The problem is I don't see that many more attractive locations for the NFL. Any name that comes up has issue. A Virginia based team would have to compete of fans against the Redskins and Ravens, travel issues complicate the arguments for London and Mexico City, the list starts then to get quite thin.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I couldn't agree more.

I don't really remember but how receptive was San Antonio when the Saints played there after Katrina hit? Was there a buzz around town and did fans come out to watch them play? I think that has to play a factor into whether a team ever relocates there.

San Antonio was never considered as a permanent relocation option for the Saints, even when they were playing there. The league didn't think they had the base to support a club, for whatever reason.

I couldn't agree more.

San Antonio was never considered as a permanent relocation option for the Saints, even when they were playing there. The league didn't think they had the base to support a club, for whatever reason.

The Texans' struggles to gain a foothold outside of Houston were probably also a factor.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Relocation to LA, maybe San Antonio, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Vancouver. But no Expansion.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

That a smaller city supports one team well isn't necessarily a good reason to give them another. They might well be tapped out - is the corporate base large enough to put up all the cash they'll be expected to?

Not to mention that the NBA's business model, where they're quite happy being a large fish in a small pond, doesn't perfectly mesh with the NFL's.

The area is bigger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville. New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay. I don't think market size is a problem.

Now, stadium and other teams in Texas may be bigger problems.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

The area is bigger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville. New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay. I don't think market size is a problem.

Now, stadium and other teams in Texas may be bigger problems.

And local wealth. San Antonio has a lot of people, sure. The MSA also has a median family income of $46,000

Today, we are all otaku.

Yeah, as someone who lives in LA the one problem with relocation is no one will go to see a see a struggling franchise, look at the Frank Macourt era Dodgers or the clippers. The only way anyone would go to games for a struggling team is if it's expansion where its reasonable to be bad.

lalakers_sig.png

Archived