NFL Expansion Cities?

Beluga4

The only way Toronto gets a team is if they get a new stadium. Problem is, we have councillors unwilling to commit to a $200M CFL stadium. An NFL stadium is completely out of the question at this point, especially given A. How the SkyDome went grossly over-budget and sold for FOUR percent of the original price barely 10 years later; B. The fact that the city has much bigger issues to worry about, namely the transportation mess. Not to mention the middling Bills in TO results.

Long-term I think Toronto could definitely be viable, but not a chance it could happen - let alone work - anytime soon.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not believe that the NFL needs to expand, but there are cities deserving of a franchise over some current cities that do not fit/support their teams...

Id like to see Oklahoma City get a team...I fully believe that they could support it do to their MAPS plan...just needs some tweaking to come up with the amount a NFL caliber stadium would cost.

The situation that i read about the Raiders relocating there sounds like one heck of a deal...the Raiders pay $300 Million, the NFL pays $200 Million and OKC only has to come up with the remaining $300 Million needed to build the projected $800 Million stadium proposed. That is by far the cheapest way to get an NFL franchise.

I would like to see Buffalo relocate to Oklahoma City. They would have to change very little as far as logo, color scheme, etc. and it fits OKC.
Swap out that red for orange to tie it in with the OKC Thunder's color scheme and rock that Bison!
I've never been a fan of the name "Bills" but Bison, Buffalos, Bulls or Herd...any of those could work...maybe even something more original or crafty, to help tie it in with the Native American feel of OK like Spirits or Pride or something...Just makes sense to me, more then any other team name/logo concept...
The NFL will not allow another Native American Themed team, I'm reasonably sure of that much, but a Buffalo theme is definitely the next best thing! (SEE RUMBLE)
I would take the Raiders too, but would HAVE to drop the "Pirate" theme...it makes the most sense with a Native Theme as well...but...with Raiders fans being as DIE HARD as they are, I think they need to stay on the West Coast.
Id take the Jags, but would completely rebrand...go Oilfield themed and if I Kept anything it would be SOME of their color scheme.
You could definitely make the Oilers name work in Oklahoma, OK thrives on the patch and it really is a neat name...could do the same with their old threads as i mentioned above with the Bills, change the red to orange and tie it in with the Thunder's color scheme, BINGO!
Id chose the Bills Scheme over the later though.

I do not believe that the NFL needs to expand, but there are cities deserving of a franchise over some current cities that do not fit/support their teams...

Id like to see Oklahoma City get a team...I fully believe that they could support it do to their MAPS plan...just needs some tweaking to come up with the amount a NFL caliber stadium would cost.

The situation that i read about the Raiders relocating there sounds like one heck of a deal...the Raiders pay $300 Million, the NFL pays $200 Million and OKC only has to come up with the remaining $300 Million needed to build the projected $800 Million stadium proposed. That is by far the cheapest way to get an NFL franchise.

I would like to see Buffalo relocate to Oklahoma City. They would have to change very little as far as logo, color scheme, etc. and it fits OKC.
Swap out that red for orange to tie it in with the OKC Thunder's color scheme and rock that Bison!
I've never been a fan of the name "Bills" but Bison, Buffalos, Bulls or Herd...any of those could work...maybe even something more original or crafty, to help tie it in with the Native American feel of OK like Spirits or Pride or something...Just makes sense to me, more then any other team name/logo concept...
The NFL will not allow another Native American Themed team, I'm reasonably sure of that much, but a Buffalo theme is definitely the next best thing! (SEE RUMBLE)
I would take the Raiders too, but would HAVE to drop the "Pirate" theme...it makes the most sense with a Native Theme as well...but...with Raiders fans being as DIE HARD as they are, I think they need to stay on the West Coast.
Id take the Jags, but would completely rebrand...go Oilfield themed and if I Kept anything it would be SOME of their color scheme.
You could definitely make the Oilers name work in Oklahoma, OK thrives on the patch and it really is a neat name...could do the same with their old threads as i mentioned above with the Bills, change the red to orange and tie it in with the Thunder's color scheme, BINGO!

If that situation you read was off of Rusty Hilger's blog, it's a pipe dream.

That said... While I wouldn't mind Buffalo's theme if relocated to OKC... Seriously, no Native American name for an OKC NFL team? I can't imagine that would be controversial to anyone inside the state. Naming them the Thunderbirds after the 45 Infantry Division would be quite acceptable in a state with the fourth highest percentage of Native Americans (and highest among states with major league teams). I would suggest, however, that they skip using their 1920's logo (a right-pointing swastika) for fauxback games. Still, if the NFL wants to do a Native American name *right*, an OKC team would be the place to do it.

Don't let the rigs in front of the State Capitol fool you, the real oil & gas town in the state is Tulsa. That in mind, I'd stay away from using Oilers for OKC. Like Roughnecks and Drillers, it's still a name more associated with Tulsa, where the Oilers have been playing hockey since 1926.

Id like to see Oklahoma City get a team...I fully believe that they could support it do to their MAPS plan

Wait, they don't love teams like I love teams

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Bills ever moved out of Buffalo, they'd immediately be 'Cleveland Browned/ Seattle Supersonicked', and by that I mean all things Bills would be left in Buffalo for a future team, which I would imagine would be back within 10 years. Everything. Name, colors, unis, all 4 superb-...I mean AFC titles.

I don't know if pro football would work in OKC for 2 reasons. Complete college territory and I don't think it's quite large enough for 2 pro teams.

sig.png

If the Bills ever moved out of Buffalo, they'd immediately be 'Cleveland Browned/ Seattle Supersonicked', and by that I mean all things Bills would be left in Buffalo for a future team, which I would imagine would be back within 10 years. Everything. Name, colors, unis, all 4 superb-...I mean AFC titles.

I don't know if pro football would work in OKC for 2 reasons. Complete college territory and I don't think it's quite large enough for 2 pro teams.

The NFL could expand to 50 teams and I still couldn't conceive of a return to Buffalo were the Bills to leave without the aid of copious quantities of recreational mood-altering hallucinogens.. Putting that identity on ice would be pointless.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The neutral site idea simply isn't feasible unless NFL caliber stadiums start popping up all over the country.

How about this - build a state of the art stadium in Las Vegas. Have one game there each week, and put it in the Super Bowl rotation. Each team would play there, and there would be a 17th game.

Think fans would love the idea of an annual trip to Las Vegas to see their team. Everyone benefits from this.

I agree with BBTV's idea. A 17th game should be added, which would add 16 games to the schedule. You can then reward the games to a place like Vegas, London, LA, Honolulu or other attractive non-NFL franchise cities.

I could see the NFL doing either 16 different locations or awarding one or two locations eight games (like a normal NFL season) and doing a season ticket campaign, etc. like a normal NFL market. Then on top of that add them to the Super Bowl rotation.

I think this is the best approach to London and possibly LA if they don't get a relocated team.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

The EPL isn't trying to start a club here...no reason why the NFL needs to put a team there to grow popularity, especially when our 2nd largest city lacks a team (fan base and history in LA aside).

I understand this isn't a fair comparison since the US does have its own soccer league (MLS) and the UK lacks an American football league, but the NFL can grow popularity oversees without alienating its fan base and passing on American cities that are more than capable of sustaining and NFL franchise.

Furthermore, why must we hop continents when their are viable locations in Canada and Mexico if the NFL must put a team outside the US. I fail to believe that the NFL is more popular in the UK than it is in Canada and Mexico.

The 2005 Niners/Cardinals game in Mexico City drew 103,467...the highest in Wembley I believe is approx. 84,000. Regardless of stadium capacity, it just illustrates why there's no reason to force a team in London.

I am no proponent of the NFL leaving US soil and really don't see the need for expansion (relocation seems appropriate for now), but if the NFL is going to expand, it seems to me that US, Canadian, and maybe Mexican cities should be looked at first.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Just move the Jaguars to LA and shut everyone up.

Agreed!

Then add LA to the NFC West, move St. Louis to he AFC South and call it a day.

The 2005 Niners/Cardinals game in Mexico City drew 103,467...the highest in Wembley I believe is approx. 84,000. Regardless of stadium capacity, it just illustrates why there's no reason to force a team in London.

Ignoring stadium capacity when comparing top end attendances is facetious in the extreme.

Unlikely, and stupid, as the NFL going to London is, it's way more likely than any kind of expansion into Mexico right now. The UK's pretty stable, economically and security wise whilst trying to go to Mexico opens up a whole fresh can of worms with regard to corruption, security, potential human rights problems, the works, that just makes it not worth the hassle for the NFL.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Ignoring stadium capacity when comparing top end attendances is facetious in the extreme.

Unlikely, and stupid, as the NFL going to London is, it's way more likely than any kind of expansion into Mexico right now. The UK's pretty stable, economically and security wise whilst trying to go to Mexico opens up a whole fresh can of worms with regard to corruption, security, potential human rights problems, the works, that just makes it not worth the hassle for the NFL.

Totally agree with you on these counts...just some interesting little facts.

I align myself more with the idea that you can still grow your fan base/popularity there without stranding one team from your league on a completely different continent.

Archived