Pittsburgh Riverhounds Concept

GMS1122

Hey all, I've had some free time on my hands recently and thought I'd take a shot at updating the USL Pro team Pittsburgh Riverhounds' main logo. I'd appreciate some comments and criticism if you're interested.

Their current logo is such a mess in my opinion but i didnt think the thought behind it was too far off. Hope you guys like my take:

riverhoundconcept.png

Here's their current logo, for comparison's sake:

Pittsburgh-Riverhounds.jpg

I'd like to mock up some kits at some point, too. But I'd like to get this refined first! Let me know what you think!

vic - thanks for the kind words, it's been a hell of a long time! As for the colors, I tried to stay true to the City of Pittsburgh's crest (which in itself would make an awesome badge)...Maybe the effect I put on the presentation is lightening it up too much?

pittsburgh_city_coa_n4488.gif

Torin - I hadn't thought the potential of forming an "R"...I'll give it a shot tonight when i re-visit. He does look kind of timid right now I guess

I like the concept. I worked with Pittsburgh a while back on scarves. The current color scheme is a nod to it's partner Everton. So I'm not sure if you should stick to those colors or use different shades.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

Whoa, who the hell are you? ;)

Yeah, I like the idea, but the overall shape ends up looking quite awkward. I think part of it is the black extending up and around on the top; maybe make that just blue?

(Upon further review, I now can't un-see the dog having a pompadour.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Nice Logo. The update with the elimination of black is an improvement. I think some of the motion strokes on the left side of the logo are somewhat unnecessary and busy although I understand that it is meant to be moving water. I like the way you rendered the dog's face. Looks tough but you didn't go overboard by including teeth, etc...

The logo itself is brilliant. About as tough as a dog can look without being unduly fierce or cartoonish.

I think the gold needs darkened (maybe it is your presentation, but that's certainly not the city's gold), and black reintroduced, simply because, well, it's Pittsburgh.

Are there two different blues? a little lighter on the left side? Maybe it's my monitor, idk, but there seems to be...well, i wouldn't call it a gradient, it's too subtle...are they just different?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I appreciate the comments guys, I'll be revisiting this again sometime tomorrow.

hockey week - the color is lighter on the left side, yes. I added a lighting effect to the logo for presenting. I intend on having a solid tint throughout, though.

Kevin - I'll see what I can do about the Elvis look, haha I just think its the product of the look im trying to achieve, we'll see what the next round brings.

Archived