Historical inaccuracies in Cincinnati Bengals logos

Jungle Jim

I was going to post in the "Small details that bother you" thread that all the newly-produced Bengals throwback merchandise has a stripe on the helmet, and my question is "Why?" The Bengals never had stripes down the middle of their helmets in the 60s and 70s. One point led to another and I decided there might be enough here for its own discussion...

Fauxback:

$(KGrHqVHJFQFGuTOt0P6BRtFPzckmw~~60_35.J

Actual:

$T2eC16N,!wsE9suw)kriBRyhrzcnb!~~60_3.JP

And then there's the whole issue that neither the 1970s version or the 2013 version are accurate representations of what the team actually wore, but at least the 1970 version had the excuse that it was produced in 1970. This one preceded the one above:

3107.gif

Actual helmet:

bengals-virgil-carter_display_image.jpg

Even when the stripes made their appearance in 1981, the logo didn't match the actual helmet the first few years, but then they got it right when the new helmet template came out...

1981:

r6f8p594dpi92pcsg5ushqz5w.gif

Sometime later in the 1980s:

3108.gif

1990s:

cincinnati-bengals-helmet-logo-3-primary

Actual helmet:

bengals_helmet_041010_VS_video_rhr_280_2

And the "Bengals" wordmark was typically larger in representations of the helmet, but then again the helmet shapes were often distorted in 60s and 70s representations

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Well, it was the lamest helmet design in NFL history. We have a new champeen, winnah by a knockout.

Why is it so lame, and the LT era Giants wasn't? Just the underline?

I'm not disagreeing. It WAS lame, and the Giants helmet seemed fine.

Well, it was the lamest helmet design in NFL history. We have a new champeen, winnah by a knockout.

I dont get how its lame, during that time they didnt have the tech that we do now to produce the helmets rhat we do now, and a simple word mark was perfect back then

That Giants wordmark was an official symbol of the team, perhaps even the primary logo (I'm not sure.) It also at least had a little style to it, with the italics and underline. There was also a good reason that they got rid of the NY logo at the time, though it's debatable whether or not that affects how the replacement symbol should be judged.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember as a kid (in the 80s) watching old NFL films footage of the Giants from the 60s and thinking "Why on EARTH did they ever change?"

Oddly enough, the Jeff George-era Illinois helmets never bothered me even though they were essentially the same thing.

Archived