NASCAR 2014: Cars

Davidellias

Thought this could work on here since this is one of the more brand oriented (literally) sports out there.

First two 2014 cars to be revealed are Austin Dillon.

BbOG1U-IcAAcVZ7.jpg

Neither of which are impressive

The Dow car is a bit plain, and has several empty gaps that could easily have been fit in if the put "Dow Chemical" on the car instead.

The Cheerios seems to have heap upon heap of unneeded black on it, in a vain attempt to appeal to the Earnhardt crowd.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought this could work on here since this is one of the more brand oriented (literally) sports out there.

First two 2014 cars to be revealed are Austin Dillon.

BbOG1U-IcAAcVZ7.jpg

Neither of which are impressive

The Dow car is a bit plain, and has several empty gaps that could easily have been fit in if the put "Dow Chemical" on the car instead.

The Cheerios seems to have heap upon heap of unneeded black on it, in a vain attempt to appeal to the Earnhardt crowd.

Unneeded black? Where have you been? Cheerios box has been yellow with black. It's not a vain attempt to appeal to the Earnhardt crowd, it's a design element. And to fill the empty gaps with Dow Chemicals, tells me you need to learn design. You don't always have to fill space with something. Less is more. Why fill the empty space and dilute a simple logo. Let the logo do the work. And if anyone wants to see more 2014 schemes go here: http://www.jayski.com/schemes/paintschemes.htm

Unneeded black? Where have you been? Cheerios box has been yellow with black. It's not a vain attempt to appeal to the Earnhardt crowd, it's a design element. And to fill the empty gaps with Dow Chemicals, tells me you need to learn design. You don't always have to fill space with something. Less is more. Why fill the empty space and dilute a simple logo. Let the logo do the work. And if anyone wants to see more 2014 schemes go here: http://www.jayski.com/schemes/paintschemes.htm

The black has always been an accent color, not a secondary like here.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

I like both cars. The red and white are good, but I think it would look a little too much like Harvick's #4 Budweiser car. Hence the black on Dillon's ride. With the cheerios car, light orange, yellow, and white aren't strong enough colors together and would blend with each other as well. The black replaces the light orange, and here we are.

When you think about it, when Cheerios and General Mills were on the #43 car for a long time, it had the Petty Blue & Red. Would that be considered trying to appeal to the Petty fanbase?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I like both cars. The red and white are good, but I think it would look a little too much like Harvick's #4 Budweiser car. Hence the black on Dillon's ride. With the cheerios car, light orange, yellow, and white aren't strong enough colors together and would blend with each other as well. The black replaces the light orange, and here we are.

When you think about it, when Cheerios and General Mills were on the #43 car for a long time, it had the Petty Blue & Red. Would that be considered trying to appeal to the Petty fanbase?

100% correct petty blue is a color that has been on there car forever, and is a unique tradition

The Dow design is terrible. There are lines going in every direction. The white part does nothing to compliment the lines/shape of the car and is very akward. Especially at the point where it just misses lining up with the A pillar. The angle is slightly off too

The Cheerios car is better using a traditional racing stripe ala the Camaro, but i cant quite tell whats going on on the door. Looks like a shape that screws up the rythem of the stripes on top and is just too much black.

But thats the point isnt it? Lets not act like Childress dosent want to push a black 3 as much as possible. Petty has always used his blue because he has always put his brand above his sponsors. He started using red as a comprimise with STP. At that time STP cars were all red. He is a special case where the sponsors will have to comprimise some color to work with him.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Dow design is terrible. There are lines going in every direction. The white part does nothing to compliment the lines/shape of the car and is very akward. Especially at the point where it just misses lining up with the A pillar. The angle is slightly off too

Welcome to the designing world of NASCAR. You'll see things that may not make a lot of sense but you'll just say "eh, whatever" and move on.

Here are my Top 3 Favorite cars heading into next year:

Harvick/Outback Steakhouse:

4outback-shop-rctwit.jpg

Brad Keselowski/Miller Lite, supposedly a One-time only thing:

2millerlite-white-nose.jpg

Stenhouse Jr./Nationwide Insurance

17nationwide-diecast.jpg

Sadly, all 3 of these cars will only run a few races.

ACtually, slammersman, NASCAR owns the numbers. Childress also asked permission from the Earnhardts (Dale Jr., Teresa, etc.) to use the number

(Info and Pics from Jayski)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

i LOVE that Miller Lite design. they should have used gold in the number instead of red though. actually, a gold number trimed in blue would have been awesome

on a related note, i have a vintage racing board on Pintrest if anyone wants to browse - http://www.pinterest.com/brandmooreart/vintage-racing/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Love the white Miller Lite "can"

As for the #3, the number was Richard Childress' to begin with. He raced it BEFORE Dale Sr was in the car. People also forget that Dale Sr won a championship in the #2!

Childress went to all four of Dale's children and asked their permission. From what's been shared on Twitter and with respected NASCAR media types, Kerry, Kelly, Dale Jr, and Taylor ALL were for it, as were those on Dale Sr's last pit crew. No one's upset with the number coming back that had direct association with it, just some "fans."

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

100% correct petty blue is a color that has been on there car forever, and is a unique tradition

Petty blue is an original creation of Lee, Richard, and Maurice Petty and Dale Inman. The legend and truth behind it is funny: they had some cans of blue and white paint, mixed them together, and painted a car with the mixture.

6 current HoFers have driven the #3 in their careers so it's not that special of a number, but that particular style of #3 is Dale's they really should have changed the font show a disconnect between dale and austin.

Look at this picture from 1980. The driver: Richard Childress. Look at the number font. Look familiar? The number and font style ARE RCR's.

image.adapt.955.medium.jpg

Archived