All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, raysox said:

Kennesaw State is going to play a game at Suntrust

593af56be2c4c.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

It would make more sense to position it along the foul line of right field. I mean I doubt they will come close to filling the stadium.

9 hours ago, The AFC South said:

It would make more sense to position it along the foul line of right field. I mean I doubt they will come close to filling the stadium.

Im pretty sure they said Suntrust Park was designed to fit in the football field from home to LF.  In my mind it appears the LF wall is pushed out a little further than the RF side.

1 hour ago, ltp74 said:

Is there any chance the Braves\Sun Trust Park would try and host a bowl game in this config?

The Braves would have to buy an existing bowl game and move it for 2018 or 2019.  New bowls cannot be added until 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...

Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane hosted today the Welterwight World Championship fight between Jeff Horn and Manny Pacquiao. The bought attracted a crowd of 55,000 spectators to a venue more associated with football and rugby league matches.

r0_123_1350_885_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On 7/4/2017 at 4:12 AM, The AFC South said:

Victory Field in Indianapolis hosted high school football a few years ago.... 

Not a huge fan of the configuration.

Yeah,  Zephyr Field in Metairie (New Orleans Zephyrs/Baby Cakes home field) did this last year as well; I think the configuration was as bad if not worse:

7eaecfebce44cdad-High-above-Zephyr-Stadium.thumb.jpg.a0bd4a541d6aea9abee7fc7f5a7a2a62.jpgzephyr.thumb.jpg.6aac2a789c6a38b928744a2b7e243e97.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, it was more crap from the Baby Cakes organization, trying to make a few more bucks for themselves but couching it in this, "hey, public,look what we're doing for you" spin. There was this hype of the high school teams being able to play in a "pro" stadium, and comparisons to playing on a combo field with some infield dirt "like NFL teams do". Of course the only team that still does that is Oakland, and even THEY sod the infield after baseball season is over-- something they did not bother to do here (they only played football games after baseball season was over). They did charge attendees the standard 5-6 bucks for parking like they do for MiLB games, which didn't go over very well with folks I talked to. 

I saw a few of these games on local cable access, and had serious worries about player safety. There was at least about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch difference in height between the grass and the infield dirt, a substantial enough difference that could trip someone and screw up an ankle... Having two lines of scrimmage playing on that red clay infield also stirred up LOTS of dust, which must not have been much fun to breathe in...  and I feel for the equipment managers who had to clean all those white unis which were dirty as heck after the game.

Apparently they will play a few there this year as well. Every school wants to play on Friday Night, and there are only so many stadiums available, so...

It is what it is.

Archived