All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

These are Georgia State's plans for the Turner Field site. Turner Filed would be converted into a football stadium keeping the original part from the Olympic Stadium intact. Also the site of the old Fulton County Stadium would be used for baseball.

turner-field-gsu-concept-1*600.jpg

I have to say I actually really like that plan. Particularly the part about the Fulton Co. Stadium site being brought back as as a small baseball park while still apparently incorporating the Hank Aaron section of the old outfield wall. Very cool tribute to the stadium that ultimately saw a ton of history despite its poor design. Also size wise it does make more sense for a college to utilize Turner's greater size for football as opposed to baseball. And given that Turner was originally not designed for baseball but for track and field there is some semetry to what they're planning. Turner was never that great of a baseball park because of its origins, so back to something more like its origins it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisville Cardinal football and the AAA Louisville Redbirds(Bats) used to share Cardinal Stadium at the Kentucky Expo Center. The fairboard has just let it rot the last 15 years.

ff9ce32b6e9c0f1a40dd1eadd310f67709f5d9bf

b1fcca77f4944dfddc75d8bc35fd870da51da89b

dd21bd1fe61e307479090e2f6bfe0cb83e57ac50

Made some good memories in that old place, especially during the year the Redbirds set the all-time MiLB attendance record in 1982 and again in 1983. If Charlie Finley had gotten his way in 1964, the A's would have played in this stadium instead of moving to Oakland. The other owners vetoed the move. It's interesting to speculate how Louisville's future might have turned out had the A's existed in the city the past 50 years.

The stadium was condemned earlier this year and people are not even allowed inside or beneath it. It will be torn down and I assume that will happen sooner than later.

The demolition of Cardinal Stadium begins Monday. A company has paid for the right to take down the metal outfield bleachers. The removal of the main grandstands will depend on $3 million in funding...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/11/13/one-step-closer-demo-cardinal-stadium/18970401/

• 1 month later...

The Miami Beach Bowl is being played in Marlins Stadium today (The former site of the Orange Bowl Stadium)

miami-bowl.gif

miamibeachbowl-850x560.jpg

That has to be one of the worst stadium layouts I have ever seen. That rivals the lunacy of the San Jose Earthquakes layout at the Oakland Coliseum (though in that case that stadium could have in theory at least been aligned properly if not for the Earthquakes being a dime store operation at the time).

whatevs-20110916202653.jpg

• 10 months later...

The Orioles have done it at Camden Yards several times. I think it is pretty common.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What about US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis? It's a pretty clever and versatile design if you ask me. 

For baseball, they don't even have dirt on the bases (despite the initial renderings that showed a dirt infield). 

Image result for us bank stadium baseball

Image result for us bank stadium minneapolis hockey

They also play soccer there. 

Image result for us bank stadium soccer

And they put out renderings of basketball and hockey configurations for the future.

Image result for us bank stadium minneapolis basketball configuration

Image result for us bank stadium minneapolis hockey configuration

So they slide into bases right on field turf rather than dirt? 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So they slide into bases right on field turf rather than dirt? 

Yes. It's actually not all that uncommon at the college level. 

Wheaton-College-BAseball-940x410.jpg

C5N9IbEWMAM4ArE.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

aren't those dirt though?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

aren't those dirt though?

In the Wake Forest photo above, just the mound is clay. The rest is artificial.

IIRC, Indiana, Kansas, Oregon State, Texas Tech, and Louisville are a few which have true "dirt less diamonds", including the mound.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:30 PM, mediagiant said:

What about US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis? It's a pretty clever and versatile design if you ask me. 

For baseball, they don't even have dirt on the bases (despite the initial renderings that showed a dirt infield). 

Image result for us bank stadium baseball

LOOKIT THAT WALL IN RIGHT. They tore down the Metrodome to build a more expensive Metrodome!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

52 minutes ago, the admiral said:

LOOKIT THAT WALL IN RIGHT. They tore down the Metrodome to build a more expensive Metrodome!

I didn't follow along during the design and construction of this stadium. But it amazed me that they made it baseball friendly. Seems ridiculously pointless to do that with Target Field in existence. Wouldn't permanent seats be better than movable retractable seats in right field?

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I didn't follow along during the design and construction of this stadium. But it amazed me that they made it baseball friendly. Seems ridiculously pointless to do that with Target Field in existence. Wouldn't permanent seats be better than movable retractable seats in right field?

This way a team can play / practice in winter so it makes some sense.  Looks like they did the best they could to accommodate the needs of both sports.  That we didn't even notice that they were retractable is a testament to how good of a job they did.

Archived