2014 NFL Offseason

Kramerica Industries

granted I'm a little fuzzy right now, but if I'm reading this thread right and forgive if I'm not but the Seahawks are going to go from winning the Super Bowl by blowing out a Peyton Manning led Denver Broncos to being 9-7 next year. I expect them to be a 11 win team and be at least make a deep run in the playoffs.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

granted I'm a little fuzzy right now, but if I'm reading this thread right and forgive if I'm not but the Seahawks are going to go from winning the Super Bowl by blowing out a Peyton Manning led Denver Broncos to being 9-7 next year. I expect them to be a 11 win team and be at least make a deep run in the playoffs.

Happens all the time the following year for Super Bowl Champions. Not exactly 9-7 per se, but less wins the following year.

cam-newton-ad01.jpg

With the lack of offensive weapons now on the Panthers, he is going to get his jersey ripped off by the defense. All that is missing is his pouting face.

But you overlooked another new campaign...

carolina-panthers-greg-hardy-mugshot_zps

Carolina's offensive line, wide receiver, & running back groups are all improved over last season. What exactly are you talking about?

RB- Jonathan Stewart > DeAngelo Williams

WR1- Kelvin Benjamin > Steve Smith

WR2- Jerricho Cotchery > Brandon LaFell

WR3- Jason Avant > Ted Ginn

LG- Amini Silatolu > Travelle Wharton

RG- Trai Turner > Chris Scott

LT Jordan Gross is the only big loss. And Gettleman seems confident that Nate Chandler is going to be a good LT. He didn't even bother drafting or going after any FA tackles.

OH NOES CAROLINA GOT RID OF A 35 YEAR OLD 5'9 WR WITH A BAD KNEE, 4'9 NICKEL CORNER, & TED I CAUGHT 3 PASSES IN SF GINN... THEY ARE DOOMED DOOMED DOOMED!!!

cam-newton-ad01.jpg

With the lack of offensive weapons now on the Panthers, he is going to get his jersey ripped off by the defense. All that is missing is his pouting face.

Carolina's offensive line, wide receiver, & running back groups are all improved over last season. What exactly are you talking about?

LT Jordan Gross is the only big loss. And Gettleman seems confident that Nate Chandler is going to be a good LT. He didn't even bother drafting or going after any FA tackles.

OH NOES CAROLINA GOT RID OF A 35 YEAR OLD 5'9 WR WITH A BAD KNEE, 4'9 NICKEL CORNER, & TED I CAUGHT 3 PASSES IN SF GINN... THEY ARE DOOMED DOOMED DOOMED!!!

Let's see about the wr's

Rookie

Avarage

Below decent

Oh and all 3 are new so the timing,routes and such will be a bit to learn. They took a step back in the WR dept, just admit it. And I'm a Carolina fan too.....

cam-newton-ad01.jpg

Stewart > Williams

Uhhh, based on what, exactly?

Benjamin > Smith

He might be eventually, but WR is such a crapshoot in the draft, particularly when that player was considered unpolished, with a tendency of drops, and a questionable work ethic coming out of college.

Avant > Ginn (Former high draft pick, btw)

Nope.

Cotchery > Lafell

Probably. But when this is the guy playing opposite of your rookie WR, what's the point of even discussing it? It's not a great situation.

The situation may not be a whole lot worse than last year, or worse at all, but I damn sure wouldn't say it's better.

IUe6Hvh.png

So this is after saying the Seahawks, falcons, and greenbay packers will be "Super Bowl or bust" make up your mind do. You cant just make a prediction for every team to win the Super Bowl and hope one of them pans out.

No, no. I'm saying that those five teams including the 49ers are under pressure to hoist the Lombardi trophy or else nothing was won.

So this is after saying the Seahawks, falcons, and greenbay packers will be "Super Bowl or bust" make up your mind do. You cant just make a prediction for every team to win the Super Bowl and hope one of them pans out.

No, no. I'm saying that those five teams including the 49ers are under pressure to hoist the Lombardi trophy or else nothing was won.

black-chick-throws-a-table-gif_zpse30a3d

I disagree. The majority of your post seem to be just throwing out a little researched "take" on something somewhat relevant to the threads you post in.

If you choose to continue to do this in future weeks, just skip coming here and go tell the world your thoughts on Twitter.

13774262875.jpg13774262875.jpg

I'm not a fool or anything, but the New Orleans Saints will have to win a second championship now. Since 2009, they haven't been to the Big Game. Drew Brees should have two rings by the end of his career.

he should be lucky he got one. Dan Marino should have had one to end his career. But he didn't. Look, I don't disagree that Brees shouldn't have 2, hell I like the guy he should have 4 or 5 of them. Sometimes you only win the big game once. Sometimes, you don't make it to the big game because the kicker who was perfect all year long decides to miss the one field goal that he needed to make costing you the NFC championship even though that entire team should have had a ring that year.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Neither would I. The NFC South is poised to be a good division, and it wouldn't shock me if Carolina dips from first to last. That front-seven isn't affected in terms of personnel, but the secondary is pretty pathetic, meaning they're basically going to be front-seven or bust on D, their receiving game lost quite a bit, and don't underestimate the loss of Jordan Gross on the O-line. Furthermore, with their hellacious cap situation, they were in no position to improve that roster this off-season relative to the losses they sustained through free agency. Meanwhile, New Orleans improved and will be in their second season under Rob Ryan (that went decently enough last year, to put it mildly) and added Byrd to go with Vaccaro; Atlanta is very unlikely to go 4-12 again, although with their top-heaviness I guess anything can happen, and I'm actually shockingly optimistic that the Buccaneers might not totally suck this season (though it will suck to watch them, aesthetically).

spacer.png

Y'all telling me the Panthers might not be so good this year... I'm just hoping for a 8-8 season. The defense will probably stay around the level they were at last year. But you can't lose the historical face of the franchise in Steve Smith and expect miracles, even though he was aging.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Y'all telling me the Panthers might not be so good this year... I'm just hoping for a 8-8 season. The defense will probably stay around the level they were at last year. But you can't lose the historical face of the franchise in Steve Smith and expect miracles, even though he was aging.

You, and practically everyone else, are acting like they cut the 2005 version of Steve Smith that was the best WR in the NFL & won the triple crown. He's not. He's barely average at this point. He was the primary target last year & put up #3 WR numbers. He's 35 years old with a bad knee, & no longer has the speed to make up for his lack of size. Furthermore, if Carolina didn't cut him, they would have owed him a guaranteed $10mil & $12mil in '15 & '16, when he was 36 & 37 years old.

Brandon LaFell is a bum. He's s good blocker but he disappears in games & always drops the key pass.

Tedd Ginn is a bum & one of the biggest WR busts ever. He had like 4 or 5 catches combined the previous 2 seasons in SF. Cam Newton made him.

Everybody is freaking out because they cut the worst WR core in the league? LoL

Cotchery is a very solid receiver, & a hell of a lot better than LaFell

Avant is much better than Ginn. He's a solid #3 & possession WR. And he doesn't drop a pass. EVER.

Benjamin will surprise people. And even as a rookie he's gonna be just as good or better than what you would've gotten out of Steve Smith at this point.

And ask that aside they still have Olsen, who was the leading receiver last season.

The offensive line will miss Gross, who was a great LT, but it's still vastly improved. Both guard positions are way better. Kalil is a great C. Carolina will have one of the better interior & run blocking lines in the league. Chandler is an unknown at LT, but the GM, HC, & line coach seem to believe he's the answer so we'll see.

As for the defense? It's upgraded. Vastly. They lost Captain Munnerlyn & Mike Mitchell, who were both grossly overpaid. Munnerlyn is a midget nickel back & Mitchell was a completely irrelevant player who Oakland didn't even bother keeping. He sucked his entire career until he played behind Carolina's nasty front 7.

They added Harper, Cason, Decoud & get Godfrey back from injury. FYI... Cason was a Pro Bowl CB when he played under Rivera in SD.

That group certainly isn't anything special, but it's just as good & probably better than the group they had last year.

Carolina still has arguably the best DE duo & LB duo in the NFL & their young stud DTs. They also added three 2nd best pass rusher in the draft, Kony Ealy. People are really disrespecting Carolina's front 7. Their defense was almost as good as Seattle's last season. Just like last year they'll make the secondary look much better than they are. Kuechly won NFL DPOY & he wasn't even the best LB on the team. Thomas Davis is one of the most underrated players in the league, & was a monster last year.

Everybody is freaking out over Carolina turning over their :censored:ty WR & secondary groups. Neither group will be any worse. And that's not why Carolina went 12-4. They win the division because of Cam Newton & their front 7. Last I checked, those pieces are still in place.

Will they win the division again? Idk. New Orleans is a great team. But they'll damn sure e fighting for the division title or a wild card spot. They have one of the best young ABs in the game & the best front 7 in the entire league.

It's ridiculous. Carolina still has a top 10 QB & a defense that was right on the heels of being #1 over Seattle last season. Yet everyone thinks they suck & will tumble to the bottom this year. Not buying it.

A QB is only as good as his receivers. Unless he runs a lot, at which point his knee explodes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Smith brought an attitude to the team that was present in the 03-04 run, and was resurrected last year. Was his game reclining, yes, but if he stayed just for this year he could have bridged the gap between him and Benjamin. Ted Ginn, while sometimes unreliable, had speed crucial to the passing game. I could have taken LaFell leaving, though.

While this team has the potential, success may not happen this year. They could sneak a Wild Card in, but New Orleans poses strong and Tampa Bay also has potential. But hey, crazier things have happened, and I predicted 8-8 last season.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived